Can you fire a coach after 1 year?

Gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.

In my opinion, Alabama and Michigan have provided the winning formula. All we have to do is follow it. If you want to take the cheap easy route and take a risk on some young up-and-comer with no recruiting ability, then you're just setting yourself up for more disappointment. We need a big-name coach.

Listen guys, I might not agree with your opinions but I respect them all. I'm just stating what I believe; you don't have to agree with me. However, if you don't, I at least expect you to have some other options, and not just that "nobody will come here" nonsense.

Southern Miss fired Ellis Johnson after one year in 2012. Team was CUSA champions the year before and went 0-12 under his regime.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8682876/ellis-johnson-fired-coach-southern-mississippi-golden-eagles-following-0-12-season

Well you take a 12 win championship team and go ont to lose 12, you deserve to be fired.

Riley is taking a 9-3 team and is on track to finish 4-8. The guy can recruit so he deserves another year. But if 2016 cant net 10 wind, I would be open to another try at getting our guy. Eichorst said we wanted to compete for titles and that 10 wins wasn't enough. Hope he stands by that.

I am not trying to be rude here, but where is the proof of this? Nebraska currently has a 39th? ranked recruiting class, one of the lowest in years...

Also, Oregon State under their brand new head coach just signed two 4 star recruits to Corvallis, the highest rated recruits to go to Oregon State in 2 years.

Interesting recruiting stories from both of these players: both early commits to other (better schools), before switching their commitments to Oregon State. Not saying anything nefarious is going on, but I wonder what Gary Anderson is pitching to those guys.

Also, we've said it before and we'll say it again, rankings really don't matter much as it's hard to significantly differentiate quality of class between teams. Extending all the way to the Top 15, Nebraska has a higher average star rating than 16 schools and so is only "behind" because they don't have as many recruits (15) as those 16 schools:

Kentucky has 22.

UCLA has 18.

Louisville has 21.

Duke has 19.

Wisconsin has 20.

Utah has 22.

Cal has 21.

Minnesota has 18.

Virginia has 25.

Texas Tech has 23.

Iowa has 23.

West Virginia has 20.

Maryland has 18.

South Carolina has 16.

Northwestern has 19.

Mississippi State has 17.

It's the old "quality vs quantity" argument. Though all those schools have a higher probability that they'll find a superstar in their recruiting class, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will. The coaches are still early in the recruiting cycle, so we'll see who they pull in as we get closer to NSD. If anything, I'd bet the Huskers will end up higher than 39th when it's all said and done, and probably not much different (better or worse) than the past staff.

Money talks, period. If you want a proven winner, be the high bidder.

Charlie Strong isn't going anywhere, not is Bielema. Not this year at least. Then again, neither is Riley.

I'm sure we could've offered Harbaugh as much $ as we wanted. He still would've gone to Michigan because they would've offered something competitive and they're his alma mater. It's like other schools don't have $.

We need Urban Meyers give him a boat load of under the table cash he will have 'health isssues' get released from his contract and then in a year will sign with us. First year National title, he does these odd things like coaching the kids making adjustments benching starting qbs to get there head right getting al 3 of his QB play time... You funny weird stuff.. Also if cash is not enough +1 what ever OSU did to get him to slime his way there.

He did it to Florida he will do it again...

Eichorst hurt this program, probably doomed us to 4 years of we have a football team before we can get a first time HC that is a promising DC or OC.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.

In my opinion, Alabama and Michigan have provided the winning formula. All we have to do is follow it. If you want to take the cheap easy route and take a risk on some young up-and-comer with no recruiting ability, then you're just setting yourself up for more disappointment. We need a big-name coach.

Tom Osborne provided the winning formula and Harvey took a dump on him.

Winning formula for Alabama is different than most programs. They are the south, and that is where the recruiting is. TO won with solid recruits, solid coaching, and a few walk-ons that exceeded expectations. Don't forget that the pipeline of offensive lineman, D-lineman that were developed here. You build an O-line program, you will get QB's, Rb's,and Wr's from where ever you want them.

Right now Nebraska is at the bottom of the list of the football blue bloods. Bottom. Michigan went to the direction of Rich Rod, up and comer from the Pac 10, and he couldn't get the job done. They went back to a MAC coach, who was doing great, he couldn't get it done. Now they went back to what made Michigan great, a former player, a coach who knows Michigan, loves Michigan. That is and was Michigan's formula.

What makes Nebraska great place to coach, also makes it not desirable for those on the outside. We have fired two coaches who won games, and won in high percentage rates. We play in a division with no marquee games, no true rivalry, no history, no tradition.

If we are looking at up coming coaches (and I said this at last hire) Nebraska should at least give a serious look at PJ Fleck at western Michigan. He is young energetic, great recruiter and runs a good aggressive system. I'd be willing to bet he is at a much bigger program sooner rather than later. He has done a great job at WMU

Here is what blows my mind. In the world I live in, I am not given the latitude or authority to make a decision which would cost my employer lets say $10,000. So how the heck does a new guy like Eichhorst get the latitude to just unilaterally bring in this DUDE and his cronies which cost the University a bunch of money. Arent there a bunch of donors or something who actually know football who would look at Eichorst sort of laugh out the corner of their mouth and go "Hell no you got to be kidding right?, Now run along Jr." I dont get it. The powers that be at Alabama were like GET SABAN. The powers that be at NU be like Get a lone wolf redhead and see who he comes up with. I dont get it.

Don't have to wait a year, but why would you want to fire him after this season ? I still keep hearing MR is the guy..... gotta give him a chance, which is at least two years. Bo was a bad recruiter, especially with the O-line. Bo was awful at player development for the future. This was the hand that Riley was dealt.

• Fire 1

People on this board are right about needing a coach who understands "Husker football". This is what makes the most sense. Someone who can embrace the past, and not be jealous of it. The issue with "big name" coaches are they have ego's. Those ego's are why you can't just bring in anyone. I read on here we need to run the ball more effective, and just plain need to run more.

Bringing in a coach who can understand that the program is bigger than him is the number one goal, no matter if its now or later.

Keep bringing in guys who want to leave there imprint on the program by passing. This will never work. It doesn't work in the Big 10, it doesn't work in the Big 12, and it doesn't work in the SEC. Pac 12 is the only conference that you can win some games by passing only, but even those teams are running more. You can run out of spread formations. You can run options out of spread formations.

So lets look at Eichorst's resume..

He gives Pelini a contract extension, fires him the following year...We continue to have to pay Pelini not to coach here.

He hires a life long mediocre coach who is failiing to beat even the worst teams in the conference and is having the fan base revolt like Callahan days.

How does this guy have a job?

i would like to fire MR but i think for the long term sake you can't.. no coaches seem to want to come here! fire a guy after one year.. they really don't want to come here!!

the only way we can get away with firing MR after one year and get away with it is if we hire some scrub.... or back the truck up and sell our souls for the best of the best!

wait are we the raiders?!

we got the BC connection

i would like to fire MR but i think for the long term sake you can't.. no coaches seem to want to come here! fire a guy after one year.. they really don't want to come here!!

the only way we can get away with firing MR after one year and get away with it is if we hire some scrub.... or back the truck up and sell our souls for the best of the best!

wait are we the raiders?!

we got the BC connection

I think our best bet is Riley realizes this isn't the place for him and he resigns or retires.

Probably best for all parties involved.

• Fire 1