Can you fire a coach after 1 year?

Well AL golden just got fired. That makes it so USC, SCAR, Miami, and Maryland all have coaching vacancies. If I'm a coach that's the popular choice to be hired, why would I choose Nebraska over these schools if Nebraska were to fire Riley after one year after firing pelini for never winning less than 9 games. Im guessing all of these schools will pay top dollar or at least match what Nebraska might offer so we wouldnt have a money advantage. Most these schools except for maybe Maryland are considered better anyways, so there's zero chance we would get a big name coach or most likely the fan first choice unless it was frost.

Well AL golden just got fired. That makes it so USC, SCAR, Miami, and Maryland all have coaching vacancies. If I'm a coach that's the popular choice to be hired, why would I choose Nebraska over these schools if Nebraska were to fire Riley after one year after firing pelini for never winning less than 9 games. Im guessing all of these schools will pay top dollar or at least match what Nebraska might offer so we wouldnt have a money advantage. Most these schools except for maybe Maryland are considered better anyways, so there's zero chance we would get a big name coach or most likely the fan first choice unless it was frost.

No matter what year it is there will always be "more attractive" jobs. So unless the fit it right, or we really do open up the purse, we are never going to be the best job available. Not a reason to accept a bad situation. It wasn't a good excuse to keep bo and it's not a good one to stay with Mike (if he is an abject failure) I think maybe he should get some more time if he's willing to make some changes. If not we can both move on after next year if that is the best option

Winning formula for Alabama is different than most programs. They are the south, and that is where the recruiting is. TO won with solid recruits, solid coaching, and a few walk-ons that exceeded expectations. Don't forget that the pipeline of offensive lineman, D-lineman that were developed here. You build an O-line program, you will get QB's, Rb's,and Wr's from where ever you want them.

Right now Nebraska is at the bottom of the list of the football blue bloods. Bottom. Michigan went to the direction of Rich Rod, up and comer from the Pac 10, and he couldn't get the job done. They went back to a MAC coach, who was doing great, he couldn't get it done. Now they went back to what made Michigan great, a former player, a coach who knows Michigan, loves Michigan. That is and was Michigan's formula.

What makes Nebraska great place to coach, also makes it not desirable for those on the outside. We have fired two coaches who won games, and won in high percentage rates. We play in a division with no marquee games, no true rivalry, no history, no tradition.

So we should leave. Go back to the Big 12...right? That's where the rivalries, history and tradition are.

We have to figure out recruiting, both players and coaches. Our schedule is NOT the issue. Our play is. The rest of the B1G doesn't care about us.

SE said money was not an issue when BO was let go. MR was the only one offered. SE didn't swing for the fences, he decided to bunt.

I refuse to believe this unless you want to throw the word "officially" in there. As mentioned earlier, agents get involved and feelers are put out to determine interest. That way you are protected when a coach tells you he's not interested. It doesn't have to be counted as a "no" because no official offer was made. Would be a bunch of egg on the face of an AD to list the coaches we were interested in only to know they had no interest in us.

How great would it look if SE got up at the press conference to introduce Riley and said we were turned down by our first 3 choices, but are happy to have our 4th choice? Not a great boost of confidence for your new coach, or the university.

Was Riley in the top 3 of any school looking for a coach last year? Colorado St maybe?

SE said money was not an issue when BO was let go. MR was the only one offered. SE didn't swing for the fences, he decided to bunt.

I refuse to believe this unless you want to throw the word "officially" in there. As mentioned earlier, agents get involved and feelers are put out to determine interest. That way you are protected when a coach tells you he's not interested. It doesn't have to be counted as a "no" because no official offer was made. Would be a bunch of egg on the face of an AD to list the coaches we were interested in only to know they had no interest in us.

How great would it look if SE got up at the press conference to introduce Riley and said we were turned down by our first 3 choices, but are happy to have our 4th choice? Not a great boost of confidence for your new coach, or the university.

Was Riley in the top 3 of any school looking for a coach last year? Colorado St maybe?

And you get what you pay for. Not saying MR is a bad person, but .................

Just saying that the choices are limited on who will and would come here. People, the money isn't there or the coaching isn't there to be hired. WE are now on our 4th head man since Ozzy, and I don't see the names being mentioned for this job, never once. Again, if someone wants this job, they will get the word out, and that isn't happening. Like I said, no fan of Bieliema either, but of all the names and supposed who we think would be greats, he might be the one who can do things on a short term notice that others can't or haven't done here since 99'.

Just don't see where everyone gets the idea that money will bring in that guy either. Sure we could get a big name, but whose to say that won't be someone just for a paycheck as well. Coaching here is like coaching a franchise, either all in or dont bother showing up.

4th head coach in 18 years, and still 3 different times this job hasn't produced even a rumor of a big name, not even a rumor of it.

If everyone is so sure of the ability to hire a Saban like coach, where is it? Pelini was hired because of who he was in the beginning. A fiery in your face coach who didn't take anyones crap. Same guy that 7 years later the same people got bored of this raging demeanor. Maybe then if we would have done an official coaching search and really looked for a "football coach", we would have gotten one then. So many mistakes have been made in all the searches to this point.

You guys do understand signing day is like 5 months away right?

Yeah, but I don't see a lot of top talents lining up to sign with a 4-8 football team with a coach potentially on the hot seat.

Then don't have him on the hot seat half way through his first year.

That's not what was said. At the end of the season, with whatever record we finish with, he's going to be on the hot seat, whether you like it or not.

Doesn't have to be.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. If he finishes 4-8 or 5-7 or whatever, it's inevitable. It's not up to you or me. He's the one who put himself there, and it's deserved.

The "hot seat" is not a real thing. Some fans think it is but all it is is media and fan discussion. Recruits read or hear all of that and it can affect their decision.

It's not like there is an official list the AD puts them on.

Now, to some fans, he was on the "hot seat" the day he was hired.

Just saying that the choices are limited on who will and would come here. People, the money isn't there or the coaching isn't there to be hired. WE are now on our 4th head man since Ozzy, and I don't see the names being mentioned for this job, never once. Again, if someone wants this job, they will get the word out, and that isn't happening. Like I said, no fan of Bieliema either, but of all the names and supposed who we think would be greats, he might be the one who can do things on a short term notice that others can't or haven't done here since 99'.

Just don't see where everyone gets the idea that money will bring in that guy either. Sure we could get a big name, but whose to say that won't be someone just for a paycheck as well. Coaching here is like coaching a franchise, either all in or dont bother showing up.

4th head coach in 18 years, and still 3 different times this job hasn't produced even a rumor of a big name, not even a rumor of it.

If everyone is so sure of the ability to hire a Saban like coach, where is it? Pelini was hired because of who he was in the beginning. A fiery in your face coach who didn't take anyones crap. Same guy that 7 years later the same people got bored of this raging demeanor. Maybe then if we would have done an official coaching search and really looked for a "football coach", we would have gotten one then. So many mistakes have been made in all the searches to this point.

There were definitely rumors of Tressel before Riley was hired. Not sure where you were, but he was definitely mentioned. Instead we have chosen to take the economical route, and it's not working out.