Players to fans, "Stick with us."

Dansker

The fans will show. What really needs to happen is players on the team need to hold each other accountable. They need to motivate each other, during practice and in games. This is something i havent seen for a long time, but believe if it happens can make a HUGE difference. I dont give a crap if your a captain or not. If you are an upperclassman i would be on guys like flies on sh#t and make everyone accountable from redshirts to seniors.

That's one key difference between Osborne players where its the standard. Back then, players had a special camaraderie. The unity council meant something. Players held each other accountable. The defense had their own huddle! The defensive line players actually held hands during the 90's! They were a true testament of brotherhood and it hasn't been seen since. These guys need to find themselves and form that brotherhood. We only see it slightly in a few players here and there.

I may be coming off a bit dick-ish, but I've never understood players needing fan support to motivate them to play at, or near, their highest level. The vast majority of the players don't know the fans, and vice versa. I understand it can be an emotional jolt to have a bunch of people yelling for you, but if it was that major of a factor, we wouldn't have seen some of the performances that have so far transpired. Now, if their family and close friends are giving them the business, I can see that being somewhat debilitating.

These players are fans as well, though. We do have that in common.

Don't you worry about a thing, folks. Get up in the morning, put on your pants, and go to work. Do your job, and enjoy college football. I'm personally enjoying NU football a lot this year. Winning is better, of course, but some things are more important than winning . . . didn't someone say that once? Seeing a team in complete transition isn't always pretty, but it is interesting. I'm looking for the new faces we'll be hearing more from in the future.

Have faith, be patient, and everything will be fine.

As long as we all just look away everything will be fine......

It's a different generation with a completely different mindset.

The drivel on this forum just drives it home for me. Back in the day we didn't have 5 star recruits with a "Nick Saban" type coach, we had small town guy's with heart that held each other accountable and a "we will win mentality".

• Fire 2

The drivel on this forum just drives it home for me. Back in the day we didn't have 5 star recruits with a "Nick Saban" type coach, we had small town guy's with heart that held each other accountable and a "we will win mentality".

Do Nebraska fans actually think that the team was loaded with only "small town guys with heart"? Yes, there were plenty of guys that fit that description, but there were a lot more super talented dudes that played with an edge. The mythology of NU history is just amazing.
  • Fire 1

We actually had really good recruiting classes under TO. Wistrom, Frazier, LP, Peters brothers, Terrell Farley, Mike Brown, Ralph Brown, Mike Rucker, etc were all very highly rated guys.

We actually had really good recruiting classes under TO. Wistrom, Frazier, LP, Peters brothers, Terrell Farley, Mike Brown, Ralph Brown, Mike Rucker, etc were all very highly rated guys.
This!!!! And TO was bringing in great talent during the 70s and 80s, too.

The fans will show. What really needs to happen is players on the team need to hold each other accountable. They need to motivate each other, during practice and in games. This is something i havent seen for a long time, but believe if it happens can make a HUGE difference. I dont give a crap if your a captain or not. If you are an upperclassman i would be on guys like flies on sh#t and make everyone accountable from redshirts to seniors.

Many good posts above but I wanted to highlight this one. Of the many conclusions and prescriptions repeatedly thrown out some good, some bad, some impossible, the above does not get mentioned enough. The lower team member accountability is, the lower the performance outcome will be. This definitely includes the coaches and AD employees too. It was high in 1994 and was instrumental in amazing success. It has been nowhere near that level for a long long time with NU football. We will need to get that back to climb to the top of the mountain. We will never get there without it as we will never recruit like USC or Texas.

BTW to Sam and the players...I'm still with you like always. Keep working learning and giving maximal effort. Better outcomes will happen.

Do Nebraska fans actually think that the team was loaded with only "small town guys with heart"? Yes, there were plenty of guys that fit that description, but there were a lot more super talented dudes that played with an edge. The mythology of NU history is just amazing.

This fan does. I listened to it on the radio every Saturday with Bremser and watched it if it was televised. Read about it in the papers every Sunday beginning in the 70's.

Not all were home grown but many of them were, strikingly similar to Gangwish, Fyfe and others.

This fan does. I listened to it on the radio every Saturday with Bremser and watched it if it was televised. Read about it in the papers every Sunday beginning in the 70's.

Not all were home grown but many of them were, strikingly similar to Gangwish, Fyfe and others.

Then it sounds like you have a very selective memory.

Gonna burst your bubble. ITS NOT BACK IN THE DAY ANYMORE. Its 2015 and college football is nothing like it was "back in the day." Get with the here and now or get left behind.

Sure, we had a good amount of small town guys with the "we will win mentality", but we also had ALOT of very athletic prop 48s which you cant do now.

Also, those small town boys are not like they used to be. Blue collar attitude is waining all over with parents cuddling their kids and the internet and social media connecting kids no matter where they live. Kids from small towns and cities dont differ much anymore.

But accountability is something that hasnt changed much. Look at any good company, business, team environment, etc. They will all have a great method for accountability from the top to the bottom.

Hell, when i was young I remember hearing good new music only to find out it was 6 months old in the cities. That doesnt happen anymore.

I have to say this is some of the best news out of the program in many years. It is great to hear the players showing signs of really caring and wanting the fans to care about them as well. the players need to know the fans DO CARE. We all care very much. This is exactly the reason why all the discussion and this board and all the radio shows, Husker clothes, etc. Fans care very much about the team, the coaches, the players, the former players, each all, SO LONG AS THEY ARE A PART OF THE HUSKER FAMILY. That means they are loyal, devoted and undivided and giving their all. We as fans give our all each and every week. We travel, devote a large portion of our free time and money and energy to the cause of Husker sports and football particularly.

We rightfully expect the players, coaches, students, University administration and everyone else associated in anyway with the program and the teams and the games and so on to be equally as dedicated and determined to be the very best and represent Nebraska and Nebraskans the best way possible. This is where so many are very disgusted; we don't see and don't 'feel' the Huskers are doing their best. We feel the coaches are capable of doing much better and we demand that they do. They are highly paid when many of the fans work dam hard for small paychecks. We sacrifice financially and emotionally and in many ways to support the team. We require that the program return the favor by delivering the best product possible.

We all need to be pulling in the same direction and doing our part. The players need to play harder! Obviously, the players believe they have some talent; it is time for them to play harder and use that talent to win the games, not mess around and lose them. Fans are seeing a lack of the extra effort it takes to be winners. We know the difference between doing your absolute best and going through the motions. We don't see the tears, the blood, the sweat, etc. The losses are being 'accepted' by the team far too easily! These losses, every loss, needs to feel like a death in the family almost! The pain and tears must be real: the effort must be all out! The guys on the bench should be every bit as engaged in the entire game, as those playing.

I haven't given up on the players just the coaching staff

Put me down for this as well. Players? Yes. Staff? No.

And I would argue that to the extent the players haven't completely bought in, it's not because of loyalty to Bo so much as not digging Riley & Co. for the same reasons that the fans have now abandoned the coaches.

The fact that people want to hold this staff accountable for this debacle, up and including termination of Riley, shows that people haven't given up on the kids.

We want the best for the kids that play for Nebraska. Eichorst and Riley aren't the best (or even close to being the best), and that is why people want them removed and replaced with capable and knowledgeable people

We want the best for ourselves. We hope for good things for the players along the way, but we use them for our own enjoyment; they're hardly the driving force behind some altruistic fanhood where all we care about is that they win championships for themselves because dadgummit they deserve it.

The fact that people want to hold this staff accountable for this debacle, up and including termination of Riley, shows that people haven't given up on the kids.

We want the best for the kids that play for Nebraska. Eichorst and Riley aren't the best (or even close to being the best), and that is why people want them removed and replaced with capable and knowledgeable people

We want the best for ourselves. We hope for good things for the players along the way, but we use them for our own enjoyment; they're hardly the driving force behind some altruistic fanhood where all we care about is that they win championships for themselves because dadgummit they deserve it.

You are in a dark place my man.