Not unprecedented

Herbie95

Howard Schnellenberger was finished with OU after one year

Was he fired, or did he resign?

Forced to resign would be closer to the truth.

And Oklahoma had their pick of coaching candidates and went with John Blake because recruiting took a serious hit under Gibbs and Schellenberger. Those John Blake kids were the ones that Stoops won his NC with, and some argue that Stoops' highest point of his Oklahoma tenure was with Blake's kids.

And then they tried to go "back to tradition" by hiring a former player (who had 9 total years of coaching experience) and he was a total failure.

Actually, no, not a total failure, considering Stoops won a NC with his kids, and Oklahoma's recruiting had gone down the toilet (relatively speaking) under Gibbs. And Schellenberger pretty much amounted into a lost year of recruiting for the program.

No, Blake wasn't a great head coach at all. But he was a hell of a recruiter, and had he brought on a competent OC and DC...well, then it may have been his NC and not Stoops'.

John Blake was then hired here at Nebraska! He was a good coach and good recruiter we were told anyway. But he also got in trouble.

Yeah, trouble has always followed Blake and his recruiting methods. Nothing as bad as Louisville Basketball or anything...but still...he isn't clean, by any stretch of the imagination.

And Oklahoma had their pick of coaching candidates and went with John Blake because recruiting took a serious hit under Gibbs and Schellenberger. Those John Blake kids were the ones that Stoops won his NC with, and some argue that Stoops' highest point of his Oklahoma tenure was with Blake's kids.

1. OU didn't have their pick of candidates, and NU's would be even less appealing.

2. "Blake's players won the championship" is a myth perpetuated by recruitniks (and those desperate to believe NU would win because of his recruiting). In reality, several of the key components of those teams were actually recruited by and signed by Stoops. I also wouldn't call that Stoop's pinnacle, despite the championship. The B12 south was very bad during those years (the North, on the other hand, was quite good).

I'm still surprised Blake didn't get us on probation while he was here.

And then they tried to go "back to tradition" by hiring a former player (who had 9 total years of coaching experience) and he was a total failure.

Actually, no, not a total failure, considering Stoops won a NC with his kids, and Oklahoma's recruiting had gone down the toilet (relatively speaking) under Gibbs. And Schellenberger pretty much amounted into a lost year of recruiting for the program.

No, Blake wasn't a great head coach at all. But he was a hell of a recruiter, and had he brought on a competent OC and DC...well, then it may have been his NC and not Stoops'.

12-22 over 3 years. That is a total failure to me. Sure he brought in some good recruits (using questionable methods), but his job was the coach them. And he did a terrible job doing that.

And bringing on a competent OC and DC is part of the job of being a head coach (see Nebraska right now).

In his last season (I think), he was so clueless that he had OU switch to a wishbone offense IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! Who does that?

12-22 over 3 years. That is a total failure to me. Sure he brought in some good recruits (using questionable methods), but his job was the coach them. And he did a terrible job doing that.

And bringing on a competent OC and DC is part of the job of being a head coach (see Nebraska right now).

In his last season (I think), he was so clueless that he had OU switch to a wishbone offense IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! Who does that?

Not disagreeing with you on that. But he did bring kids in that Stoops won with--so it wasn't all for naught.

Silver linings and all.

1. OU didn't have their pick of candidates, and NU's would be even less appealing.

2. "Blake's players won the championship" is a myth perpetuated by recruitniks (and those desperate to believe NU would win because of his recruiting). In reality, several of the key components of those teams were actually recruited by and signed by Stoops. I also wouldn't call that Stoop's pinnacle, despite the championship. The B12 south was very bad during those years (the North, on the other hand, was quite good).

I'm still surprised Blake didn't get us on probation while he was here.

Not really a myth. Blake definitely recruited the core players of that 2000 championship team. Stoops then added some key components to it. Josh Huepel being a big add and a JUCO LB I think last name of Marshall. Stoops also moved a lot of players around turning DB's into WR and some DL into O-linemen. That 2000 OU team also happened to be the luckiest team I have ever seen. Everything went there way that year. They had no major injuries and won a lot of close games.

I could see Riley resigning. He is not use to this heat from everyone, he's never been pressured by big time boosters like Nebraska has. This is all overwhelming for Riley. He had it comfortable in OSU and only left because he started to feel the heat there, finally.

we can all hope Riley realizes this is not the place for him, and never will be and just resign. It's best for all parties.

I could see Riley resigning. He is not use to this heat from everyone, he's never been pressured by big time boosters like Nebraska has. This is all overwhelming for Riley. He had it comfortable in OSU and only left because he started to feel the heat there, finally.

we can all hope Riley realizes this is not the place for him, and never will be and just resign. It's best for all parties.

Too. Much. Money. He won't walk away from that. He can set his family up for life off of this contract. He may be nice but he's not stupid. Stupid would be the idiot that hired him