Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective is not interesting. It's repetitive.

Your perspective has multiple logic flaw and is repetitive in showing us your wrong about everything you post.

Is cm your sister, or just your other account?

I answered in in advance. See my previous reply.

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective has multiple logic flaw and is repetitive in showing us your wrong about everything you post.

Is cm your sister, or just your other account?

I answered in in advance. See my previous reply.

Nah.

#rhetorical

But the evidence was that it was the floor and not the ceiling with Bo.

Using that logic, you could also say that 4 losses every year was Bo's ceiling.

And clearly, firing Solich was a horrific error. One that everyone should admit to now.

Nope. Firing Frank was the right move. Hiring Callahan was the wrong move.

Similar to where we are now. Firing Bo was the right move. Hiring Riley may be the wrong move.

You're just not getting it.

When you fire a coach like Frank (especially) and Bo, you're guaranteeing (or nearly so) that you'll get a Callahan or a Riley (who is off to a horrendous start).

And clearly, firing Solich was a horrific error. One that everyone should admit to now.

Similar to where we are now. Firing Bo was the right move. Hiring Riley may be the wrong move.

When you fire a coach like Frank (especially) and Bo, you're guaranteeing (or nearly so) that you'll get a Callahan or a Riley (who is off to a horrendous start).

I freaking hope you're not serious.

I'm completely serious.

You don't attract the best talent when they know coming in that they will have such a short leash.

Unless you throw down many millions a year.

Lincoln is not an enticing place for almost anyone with options.

I'm completely serious.

You don't attract the best talent when they know coming in that they will have such a short leash.

So you're saying Husker fans should show a little more patience with new coaches?

• Fire 1

I'm completely serious.

So you're saying Husker fans should show a little more patience with new coaches?

Yes, emphasis on "new" (like a first time HC versus a 20+ year vet).

And I'd add a suffix: "... coaches who show promise and deliver solid results."

It'd be fine with me to keep Riley, because I actually do think he could get to 9 wins on a fairly consistent basis. However, I don't see him every doing better than that because (a) he never has, (b) he doesn't have great coordinators, despite years in the profession to identify them, and © his system is fundamentally flawed in terms of producing consistent results, let alone championships, in a place like Lincoln.

But, .700 football while running a clean program ain't bad. So I'd never advocate firing him if he got to that level of performance.

Unfortunately, the hordes who pushed out Solich and Pelini will want Riley's head, too, and I'd rather we just make the change now before we possibly set NU football back further.

• Fire 1

I'm completely serious.

It'd be fine with me to keep Riley, because I actually do think he could get to 9 wins on a fairly consistent basis. However, I don't see him every doing better than that because (a) he never has, (b) he doesn't have great coordinators, despite years in the profession to identify them, and © his system is fundamentally flawed in terms of producing consistent results, let alone championships, in a place like Lincoln.

But, .700 football while running a clean program ain't bad. So I'd never advocate firing him if he got to that level of performance.

Unfortunately, the hordes who pushed out Solich and Pelini will want Riley's head, too, and I'd rather we just make the change now before we possibly set NU football back further.

This is a problem.

• Fire 1

I could have sworn you were providing pitchforks and torches, but glad to see you're a reasonable man or woman who'd prefer not to over-react like the unwashed hordes.

• Fire 1

I'm completely serious.

This is a problem.

Well, it's a conundrum, actually.

In my opinion, NU should never fire a coach who's winning 9+ a season, because it's unlikely that a new coach has a better chance of bettering that result than the existing coach has of "figuring it out" and bettering it.

However, with Riley, he'd be really old at that point, so the chances of him figuring it out are diminished.

I'll add one other thought, which I know isn't popular, and maybe I hold onto it because I really don't have my ego wrapped up in Husker football: .700 and a clean program is completely acceptable to me, and though I'd love for kids to win championships at Nebraska, I think that's a valuable and meaningful experience for players to be part of a consistently solid program.

I just won't get on board with firing a .700+ coach in hopes of getting an .800+ coach when I realize that downside risk for these players is so great.

I could have sworn you were providing pitchforks and torches, but glad to see you're a reasonable man or woman who'd prefer not to over-react like the unwashed hordes.

I think you're misreading my post.

Basically, I'm saying, firing Riley will be inevitable, because he's either pissed people off badly enough to have him fired now, or he'll improve to say .700 but that won't be good enough because he's not going to be equipped to win a champoinship in Lincoln.

one way or the other, he's getting fired for not meeting the hordes' expectations, so I'd rather we ax him now and get a guy who has a chance at getting to .800 and championships.

I should say, I'm very very close to that point.

Mainly because it's unfair to the players and the local business to let Nebraska football further collapse.

Complete bunk.

Pelini was NOT fired because he won 9 games every year... he was fired because he was and still is a total jerk, who was poisoning the entire Nebraska football program with his infantile and out of control rage and arrogance .

Woody Hayes was the head coach at Ohio State for 28 years and during his tenure he won FIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, with a record of 205-61-10. How did his career end? He was fired by Ohio State because like Pelini... he was a total jerk. His career as a jerk was a long time in the making. Incident after incident Woody Hayes showed himself to be a jerk just like Pelini and just like Pelini excuses were made for his behavior. Until one day during a football game on live television he punched a player from the opposing team in front of the whole world because... well... because he was a jerk. He was promptly fired by Ohio State even though he had won 5 national championships for the school.

Oh the horror of firing a 5 time national championship coach. How would Ohio State football ever survive?

Well, Ohio State hired a new coach, Jack Bruce who then went and had a UNDEFEATED SEASON his first year as head coach of Ohio State.

No one including his fellow coaches felt bad for Pelini... they all know he is a jerk and they all know he is 1 raging angry outburst away from disaster. No one including other coaches blamed Nebraska for firing him. He deserved to be fired.

There is no automatic failure associated with firing a coach who is a pathological jerk.

The reason we ended up with the coach we have now is because the persons responsible for hiring a new coach at Nebraska are completely incompetent. Period No more explanation is necessary.

• Fire 3

Ahem:

Interesting perspective

And how are you any different? You are just the mirror image on the other side. Why is it ok for you to pump the same "Remain calm all is well" mantra but CM can't do the same with his viewpoint?

An echo chamber is fine as long as it's YOUR echo chamber right?

• Fire 1

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif?1377793573