I think this is a pretty even handed treatment of the current state of the program

Right now, there are close to ten open jobs in football, and we are barely 75% of the way through 2015.

I think the amount of openings out there now is probably the biggest factor in whether NU should look for a new coach. There will be a lot of competition for the best talent. SE had a decent shot at landing a proven coach last year and blew it. If Riley is fired this year, any relevant, perspective coaches will have their choice of institutions. Unfortunately, I think we would end up on the losing end of a lot of those deals.

• Fire 1

We would have to lose out and get blown away by Sparty and Iowa for Riely and or Eichorst to get canned. He will get another year, I am 90% certain of that.

People around here are constantly calling for his head, I get it. I absolutely am pissed about how this season has played out thus far. I don't think there is anything wrong with coming here and voicing your displeasure and specifically what is irking you.

But don't let it consume you, don't let it be all you are known for. Engage in discussion, don't simply disrupt actual topics that don't need more negativity dumped on them.

We are 3-6 and the fact we have so many pissed about it shows how much passion there still is for this team that hasn't had a conference title in 16 years. People who want to be optimistic are needed too, but we shouldn't be overly accepting of such below average football.

We all want this thing to turn around....lets hope Riley can end this season the right way whether or not something is brewing behind the scenes.

• Fire 4

Do you think they'll fire Riley? I don't. I think they'll fire Eichorst first.

Neither of them will be gone by the end of the 2015 season, more than likely.

I also don't see either of them being fired pre or mid-season 2016. Just doesn't happen very often except in extreme circumstances, even with the fact that they're getting a new chancellor next year.

The most likely scenario is both SE and MR will be here at least through the beginning of the 2016 season. If things derail quickly they could easily both be gone mid-season. Otherwise, it's possible we could also go through the entire 2016 season with them.

I would bet money on those scenarios happening rather than MR/SE getting fired this year or post season.

We would have to lose out and get blown away by Sparty and Iowa for Riely and or Eichorst to get canned. He will get another year, I am 90% certain of that.

People around here are constantly calling for his head, I get it. I absolutely am pissed about how this season has played out thus far. I don't think there is anything wrong with coming here and voicint your displeasure and specifically what is irking you.

But don't let it consume you, don't let it be all you are known for. Engage in discussion, don't simply disrupt actual topics that don't need more negativity dumped on them.

We are 3-6 and the fact we have so many pissed about it shows how much passion there still is for this team that hasn't had a conference title in 16 years. People who want to be optimistic are needed too, but we shouldn't be overly accepting of such below average football.

We all want this thing to turn around....lets hope Riley can end this season the right way whether or not something is brewing behind the scenes.

Good perspective and post. I especially like your take on the part in bold. I agree that anger is better than apathy. It helps, too, that there are many on here with a good sense of humor. Half the stuff I post (who am I kidding, it's more like 3/4s) is over the top and very tongue in cheek on purpose, if for no other reason than if I don't laugh I'll cry.

Still, if you fire your new coach, what is the plus side? Notre Dame, a team not unlike the Cornhuskers in that they have definitely played that coaching carousel game as well, is a cautionary tale. Yes, the Fighting Irish are more relevant than the Cornhuskers right now, but part of that is that Notre Dame continually asked the question, "Is the next guy better than the current guy, and is the risk worth it?" In what is certainly more of a longterm play, played out in a short term sense, Nebraska could at least benefit from thinking about things from that perspective. Still, Notre Dame has not reached their full potential either. These things are far from an exacting science.

What an awful example....how on earth is a team that appeared in the BCS National Championship in 2012 and is currently #5 in the polls a cautionary tale? If anything that proves that firing coaches trying to find the right guy works. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, this truly makes no sense.

• Fire 1

I think you take the next year to replace Perlman, then you let that chancellor replace SE. then you let that new AD replace MR as necessary. by then if things aren't going well , recruiting is not on the upswing and our identity isn't forming and working, then that AD firing MR is understandable and you go from there. but you go through a better process, work the channels, and be patient for the right guy.

hiring a guy with 5 years to go and not having a list of candidates to choose from is just complete unfathomable incompetence at any level of management let alone an AD and Chancellor.

I think we all agree, Riley was a 4 year trasistion guy, he's too damn old and average in ability to be anything more and SE knew this too. Just a piss poor pick and some bad assistants made a f'ing mess for the next few years, probably have to move sooner with big changes, 2 blow outs could hadten the process.

I also don't see either of them being fired pre or mid-season 2016. Just doesn't happen very often except in extreme circumstances, even with the fact that they're getting a new chancellor next year.

The most likely scenario is both SE and MR will be here at least through the beginning of the 2016 season. If things derail quickly they could easily both be gone mid-season. Otherwise, it's possible we could also go through the entire 2016 season with them.

I would bet money on those scenarios happening rather than MR/SE getting fired this year or post season.

I agree with you 100%. The only way MR gets fired in June is if the new chancellor already has agreements in place for a new AD who in turn has a lock on a new coach.

Of course all of this depends on us continuing to lose. If the team wins the rest of the games this season (LOL) and we go to a bowl game then the coaches spot has to be safe.

I agree with you 100%. The only way MR gets fired in June is if the new chancellor already has agreements in place for a new AD who in turn has a lock on a new coach.

Of course all of this depends on us continuing to lose. If the team wins the rest of the games this season (LOL) and we go to a bowl game then the coaches spot has to be safe.

Even then, pretty big bet to make given the resurgence of the Bret Bielema discussion from last December. A lot of people seem convinced he was all but hired here and said he would only do it if it didn't get out into the media before the hire. It did, he backed out and signed an extension with Arkansas. Power move? Who knows.

I'm with you, though. His spot will certainly be safe if they win out and go to a bowl, but, we also agree it's probably safe regardless this season.