Banker/Riley have the experience to deal with seasons like this

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/support-from-riley-administration-key-for-banker-as-he-builds/article_5c74f56f-9045-5cc8-9244-4eccde7652aa.html

“We were in a situation where, through the newspapers, they were trying to fire John Robinson, trying to fire us,” said Mark Banker, then a 40-year-old graduate assistant defensive coach on Robinson’s staff.

USC closed the season with an overtime victory over another rival, Notre Dame, to finish 6-6.

“It was huge,” Banker recalls. “When we came back in Monday, Coach Robinson spoke, said, ‘Hey, we did our job, but remember, next time we’re out of here.’”

Robinson kept his job.

He was fired after the following season.

Banker, who’d already moved on, understood Robinson’s words that day. He had spent one season with an entire Hawaii staff fired in 1995, and joined Robinson with the understanding he’d be a GA for only one season, with a full-time gig the following season either there, or somewhere else.

That somewhere else, of course, was with Mike Riley, the then-USC offensive coordinator who took the Oregon State head coaching job in 1997. The two have been coaching together ever since, except for the 2002 season, with Nebraska being their fourth stop together, including two Oregon State stints.

The second one in Corvallis began with some trying circumstances and culture adjustments.

“Right away in spring, the first team period we had, we couldn’t have two plays in a row without fights,” Banker said. “I remember Coach Riley just calling the end to a team period at least twice and saying if that’s the case, then we’re just not going to do this, and I’m not going to stand for it.”

• Fire 2

The following spring, Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio and his staff reached out to Riley’s staff to exchange ideas — mainly, Dantonio said, because the Spartans were preparing to play Oregon the following season. He’d gotten to know Riley on Nike trips and developed a strong respect.

Heh. Maybe Dantonio will repay the favor and offer some advice back.

The biggest take aways? Robinson still got fired the next season, he doesn't have his guys nor think the ones we have are "right" for his D and his quarters coverage is nothing like Narduzzis......at all... Bottom line, if Banker and Riley are still here, we have a LONG way to go to be competitive. Its not going to be next year or even the next IMO. Per Bankers comments, we don't yet have all the horses to run his scheme......

Speaking on MSU's previous D:

Banker says they’ve done with it with a big, physical front; tough linebackers who are rugged, strong and run down hill; and secondary players “who can play the hell out of man. They’ve had guys who can absolutely erase the number one receivers.”

Those are some pieces Nebraska is still missing for Banker’s system that’s been a bigger transition than some outsiders expected, especially for the secondary.

Banker likes the future of some current young players, notably (but not only) defensive end Freedom Akinmoladun, safety Aaron Williams and linebacker Dedrick Young.

The counter argument to not the right guys from MSU Dantonio in the same article. He think's we have the horses...

But given what he knows about Banker’s system, and what he’s seen on tape in scouting Nebraska, what does Dantonio see that’s troubling the Blackshirts in their defensive transition?

“I think the biggest thing is the game is played … you know, it’s the inches. Any time you’re tackling in space, playing the ball in the deep part of the field, it’s the inches,” Dantonio told the Journal Star. “You’ve got to find those inches to make plays on things. I mean, that’s the basic situation.

“There’s not been too many opportunities where people are out of position or things of that nature. They’ve got good players. We’ve played them and they’ve always been great football games. And they have outstanding personnel.”

Seems like it'd be better to hire someone with less familiarity with bad seasons. That USC story didn't help much. A good story would be that they saved themselves from the brink of being fired and went on to a top 10 or top 20 season the next year. But the actual story is that they went on to do poorly enough the next year to get fired.

• Fire 4

That is funny about the fights...when Husker fans bring up all the fights that the mid 90's teams got into at practice we love it!

Culture change...... Getting soft.......

The second one in Corvallis began with some trying circumstances and culture adjustments.

“Right away in spring, the first team period we had, we couldn’t have two plays in a row without fights,” Banker said. “I remember Coach Riley just calling the end to a team period at least twice and saying if that’s the case, then we’re just not going to do this, and I’m not going to stand for it.”

The Huskers most dominant teams had tougher practices than games. You let your brothers down on the practice field? There were corrections by the players.....

• Fire 1

Seems like it'd be better to hire someone with less familiarity with bad seasons. That USC story didn't help much. A good story would be that they saved themselves from the brink of being fired and went on to a top 10 or top 20 season the next year. But the actual story is that they went on to do poorly enough the next year to get fired.

That's what I thought would be the "moral of the story". Not he got fired next year...... Not a real motivational story IMO.

• Fire 2

That's what I thought would be the "moral of the story". Not he got fired next year...... Not a real motivational story IMO.

It's pretty depressing.

The USC approach was to fire them. The Oregon State approach was to give them forever.

Which approach worked out better?

So these guys are used to being on the hot seat? You don't say.

Watching Riley try to break up those fights must've been funny to watch. "Fellas, fellas! Hey, now! There's no need for all this, uh, ah, physical aggression! Whatcha' need to do is to, uh, process. Yes, that's right! You young fellas just need to process those feelings and then talk it out. Listen, why don't you boys grab a knee and let me tell you a story ...."

tumblr_m6dr32ysWp1rodz1bo1_1280.jpg

• Fire 3

It's not wrong to say he needs a lot better DB play in this system. They do go man a lot, and for every play they make, there's about 3 where they give up big catches.

I love me some Nate Gerry, but man is he struggling in this system. Seems like he's always a step slow making a play when manned up. What's crazy is sometimes he's on them like a blanket, but just totally misses when he attempts to bat the ball away. He's been taking poor angles playing the run too. Hope he gets it figured out, but we'll definitely need to make DB recruiting a huge focus with this defense.