Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

Perlman said he’s as disappointed as anyone in this year’s season, and the coaches are also disappointed. Perlman said a combination of injuries to key players and last-minute losses made this “a very unusual season.” He said he’s proud of the resilience players have shown through the adversity.

He said those calling for Riley’s firing are also ignoring “the significant problems left by the former staff.”

Former staff doesn't hold blame for this current INCOMPETENT coaching staff! An incompetent coach hired by an incompetent AD who is backed by an incompetent Chancellor. The comparison to Tom Osborne is a disgrace. Riley and his staff are washed up career losers who will never get this program on the right track. Where is Hank Bounds? I can't wait till Hank fixes this disaster. The board of regents is going to continue to face disappointment, donors are going to get fed up over it while fans continue to complain and nothing gets done. Did we learn anything from Harvey's self-centered, pompous, misguided ideals back in 2002? When he hired Steve Pederson to fire Solich? And then to not even at least be open to input from Tom Osborne for an AD to succeed him?

Why wait? Why give a timeline? Everyone can see this train will inevitably derail. We need some freaking janitors in Lincoln.

• Fire 6

Bravo to HP & SE. Disagree (*or rabble) all you guys like. I'm confident too that we are going to see better days in Lincoln, and thankful for the folks working to get us there.

If you support Riley, this is not good news. You want him concentrating on the game, not fielding questions about these two. This is a huge distraction. The thought in people's minds is now, more than it was, on whether Riley keeps his job, not whether he wins the game.

The only thing that will help Riley is to win games, and he has a big opportunity starting Saturday to defeat two teams that are not nearly as unwinnable as people think. If he goes 3-0 with wins over two top ten teams, which he could given they're not really that far ahead of Nebraska, then he automatically will gain a ton of support.

Your boys just made Riley's job that much harder.

• Fire 1

Bravo to HP & SE. Disagree (*or rabble) all you guys like. I'm confident too that we are going to see better days in Lincoln, and thankful for the folks working to get us there.

Not sure how you can give a bravo to these guys. HP comparing Riley to Osborne is only going to provide more media fodder.

• Fire 4

Even Harvey has a defeatist attitude. "How would you hire the next coach?" You offer a successful coach a crap ton of money or hire someone who deserves a chance to prove themselves at a major program like Nebraska not a .500 coach with 40 years of experience getting curb stomped.

Eichorst had a list of five or six top candidates that included Riley, Perlman said, and the athletic director determined Riley was the right man for the job.

Really? Six candidates? From what I can remember Bret B @ Arkansas was the only other possible mentioned candidate. Eichorst interviewed and hired Riley on the spot.

Reached by The World-Herald, Regent Hal Daub of Omaha said he’s “patiently unhappy” with the 3-6 start but Nebraska fans can’t get “too rambunctious” about the early struggles.

I don't blame Hal for feeling this way. At least he has the stones to go public with that. It's extremely unfortunate but I think the only way this mess gets cleaned up is if the sellout streak comes to a halt and ticket sales go down. We've been down this familiar road before and it's going to continue to snowball.

• Fire 2

If the Board has any aspiration for the football program, they'll block any proposed contract extension for Shawn Eichorst. That will send a clear message to the three stooges HP, SE, MR. You don't have to go back very far to find out about our past when we extended a contract to a previous incompetent in over his head Athletic Director. Let's hope the local media invokes the past and whether or not we learned anything from it.

• Fire 2

I love the phrase Regent Hal Daub used though, that he's "Patiently unhappy." The regents not exactly invoking confidence, and Hank Bounds not commenting I think is very telling.

Also just looking back at the hiring of Eichorst, I came across a couple articles

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Harvey-Perlman-talks-about-hiring-Shawn-Eichorst-at-Nebraska-94210

"His response was, 'If the coaches and the student athletes have been successful, then nobody knows my name, it would be a success,'" Perlman said. "The athletic department is all about the success of coaches and student athletes."

Considering Eichorst is talked about just as much as Riley has been lately, I would consider his performance, "Not a success" judging by his own standards. Yet, Perlman who's a lameduck chancellor is suddenly going to hand this guy a contract extension?

And then there's this one http://www.cornnation.com/2012/10/4/3456448/notes-from-harvey-perlmans-press-conference-on-the-hiring-of-shawn

Perlman only interviewed two candidates for the position, as Eichorst was one of them.

While Perlman did not disclose the other candidate, it was made clear to the press that there were no internal candidates interviewed for the position. This means that Jamie Williams, hired specifically by Osborne in June to seemingly be the AD in waiting after his run at the Academy of Art Institute in San Francisco. Paul Meyers, a important fund raiser to Nebraska Athletics, also did not receive an interview.

I know people are well aware, but this is just further proof how much of a snake Perlman is. Not even interviewing an internal candidate? You don't even have to hire them, just do a courtesy interview. Man I can't wait till he's gone in 2016

I've been given "courtesy interviews" and frankly, I'd rather not get interviewed if they know I have no chance of getting the position. In fact, I've felt pretty insulted every single time.

Why was Riley even named as a candidate to begin with? I don't know anyone who had him in a list of potential replacements for Bo. The bottom line is that they wanted the exact polar opposite of Bo Pelini, and Riley fit the bill. They saw that he had a few decent seasons in Corvallis, spun the whole "just wait til he gets our resources at his disposal" spiel, and that was that. Hiring a proven winner and recruiter were secondary qualifications, but not necessarily necessities.

• Fire 4

That's such a blank and empty statement: "I'm confident too that we are going to see better days in Lincoln..." Well duh, how could we not, after one of the most disastrous seasons in the entire history of the program?

• Fire 7

Why was Riley even named as a candidate to begin with? I don't know anyone who had him in a list of potential replacements for Bo. The bottom line is that they wanted the exact polar opposite of Bo Pelini, and Riley fit the bill. They saw that he had a few decent seasons in Corvallis, spun the whole "just wait til he gets our resources at his disposal" spiel, and that was that. Hiring a proven winner and recruiter were secondary qualifications, but not necessarily necessities.

The hire would have made much more sense had he went with different assistants. When Ed Orgeron was saying, "Pick me! Pick me!" I was ecstatic. I thought to myself, "Wow, we can't go wrong with Riley. He's going to hire some top notch assistants! Orgeron is a good coach and excellent recruiter!" Gee golly, what a fumble.

Remember when Harvey extended Pederson based, supposedly, on a non-anonymous survey and then the athletic department fell apart with several key defections? A short time later, Perlman was pulling the plug (under pressure). And claiming he really didn't know what was happening under his own AD's department.

Now he's going to claim he is able to assess what the culture was under pelini? What, did he run another survey?

I can't believe this guy's combination of arrogance and stupidity.

• Fire 3