Members From Other Fanbases: What's YOUR Take?

Since we Husker fans have been at each other's throats on this board for the past few weeks, I am really curious to hear what some of the members of the board who are from fanbases outside of Husker nation think about situation NU finds itself in today.

I got to thinking about this topic more after a great conversation I had with a co-worker who is a big time OU fan and grew up in Oklahoma (he misses our old rivalry dearly). I realize there are probably some Husker fans on here who couldn't care less about what a fan of another team thinks about ours, and I'm sure many of the members who are fans of other teams perhaps haven't been paying close enough attention to NU to really offer a strong opinion one way or another, but I (and I think many fans here) would be interested to hear some thoughts from an outside perspective after beating up on each other now for so long, and would appreciate the insight.

I'm going to try to prevent injecting my opinion here, as I'm not interested at all in influencing the opinions of others who may respond to this or reinforcing mine, but for a brief synopsis of what's happening with Nebraska today:

*Mike Riley, our first year coach, currently has Nebraska sitting at 3-6

*Many fans are upset with this, and with Riley, our AD, and Chancellor

*Many feel that Riley needs to be give more time to recruit to his system and develop players, as we don't quite have the players to match his system, have been thin at several positions, and have sustained many injuries

*Many feel Riley is dealing with the results of a toxic culture left behind by his predecessor, Bo Pelini

*Many feel Riley took over the reins of a 9-4 program and has them playing substantially worse football

*AD Shawn Eichorst comes out with a letter of support for Mike Riley early in the week after a 55-45 loss to Purdue

*Chancellor Harvey Perlman publicly states his support for Shawn Eichorst as Nebraska's AD, and speaks about extending his contract

*Many think our AD's letter of support was an embarrassing "kiss of death," and think extending our AD's contract is a ludicrous idea

*Many think the AD's letter of support shows a strong commitment from our AD to his coach, and think extending our AD's contract would lead to greater stability within our program

*Many think Mike Riley is the wrong hire for Nebraska, will never win us a conference championship, and needs to be let go immediately (along with possibly our AD), or else our program will be set back even further

*Many think we need to be patient with Coach Riley and our AD, that the process will take time, and any drastic moves at this point will set our program back even further

I realize there are specifics I have left out or skipped over, but if one wants/needs a deeper analysis or outlook, I'm sure you can find this in the many threads we currently have up on this board.

I know for a fact we have very knowledgeable Fighting Irish fans, Buckeyes, Spartans, Wolverines, Badgers, Gophers, Wildcats (KSU and Northwestern), Tigers (Missouri and Clemson), Cyclones, Sooners, Cowboys (Wyoming and Okie State), Buffaloes, Aggies, and even Beavers now (and surely more I missed) who chime in on this board from time to time.

I'm quite curious to see what they think about the state of Nebraska football today. Is Riley the right guy for the job? What do you think about the actions of our AD and Chancellor? Are fans justified in being angry and/or wanting them gone, or completely insane? Would we be setting ourselves up for disaster getting rid of them so soon? Are we setting ourselves up for failure by keeping them around any longer? Should we exercise more patience? What should the expectations be at Nebraska? What do you think Nebraska should do or needs to do to meet these expectations?

No need to answer every single question, but just interested in getting a bit more of an outside perspective. And while I can't dictate who can or can't post in this thread, this is directed at those members from outside fanbases; we have about a million other threads to duke it out amongst ourselves in.

Thanks a lot!

• Fire 1

Not a fan another team, but I do live Michigan. I think everyone should look at the Brady Hoke era, at Michigan.

Hoke was a nice guy too. We might not have a Harbaugh waiting around, but I honestly don't see Riley building Nebraska into what it once was, or even what it could be.

As long as he can recruit like Hoke, setting the table for the next guy like Hoke did for Harbaugh I'm ok with that.

from the Oregonians online newspaper.

well for whatever reason I cant post the link. Oregonlive.com But basically Oregon sports writer write about the failure of riley at Nebraska. Most Oregon State fans post comments on there saying they saw this coming and Riley has been on a downhill since 2006. Most Beaver fans feel bad for Nebraska and realize he brought a mediocre staff to Nebraska.

Also most see him gone after next season. ​

Likely a bad half-hearted hire, similar to the Michigan situation, a bit of an identity crisis really. He might get another year to put he's system in place, but there were just fundamental coaching mistakes in many of the losses that dont give me confidence regarding he's coaching. Pelini was not the answer either, he usually had a decent amount of wins(9!) but did not win the important games. Who knows though, maybe he will pull something out of he's hat, though I cant see what.

well for whatever reason I cant post the link. Oregonlive.com But basically Oregon sports writer write about the failure of riley at Nebraska. Most Oregon State fans post comments on there saying they saw this coming and Riley has been on a downhill since 2006. Most Beaver fans feel bad for Nebraska and realize he brought a mediocre staff to Nebraska.

Would this be the one?

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/11/thursday_morning_news_notes_li_27.html

And yes, I have also noticed as much from many Oregon State fans on their forums, even going back months ago.

But like I said, I'm trying to remain as impartial as possible in this thread.

• Fire 1

Likely a bad half-hearted hire, similar to the Michigan situation, a bit of an identity crisis really. He might get another year to put he's system in place, but there were just fundamental coaching mistakes in many of the losses that dont give me confidence regarding he's coaching. Pelini was not the answer either, he usually had a decent amount of wins(9!) but did not win the important games. Who knows though, maybe he will pull something out of he's hat, though I cant see what.

Thanks for an outside perspective, Michiganball!

I live in Colorado and people have been telling me for years now that Nebraska is a 2nd tier team now. Heck this year we are a bottom tier team.

It's going to take time to fix this mess.

What I get a lot down in Kansas (from JAYHAWK fans, nonetheless) is "back when Nebraska had a football team" (not just this year, in prior years as well).

Of course I reply with "at least we had one."

K-State fans are, in my experience, sincerely more knowledgeable, sympathetic, and honestly more appreciative of Nebraska and its program than most Jayhawk fans.

Thanks for your input Michigan. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year!

Would this be the one?

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/11/thursday_morning_news_notes_li_27.html

And yes, I have also noticed as much from many Oregon State fans on their forums, even going back months ago.

But like I said, I'm trying to remain as impartial as possible in this thread.

yep that is the one!

Have several friends out here in California, that voice pretty much what is being said on the board. Just not the fire him now stuff. It seems to me, most had had it with the past staff, and can deal with this another year. But feel it needs to change and quickly for him to survive his contract.

I live in Colorado and people have been telling me for years now that Nebraska is a 2nd tier team now. Heck this year we are a bottom tier team.

It's going to take time to fix this mess.

I live in Colorado too and I have not heard this from anyone. Were these people CU or CSU fans? Because that would take a LOT of balls for them to say NU is 2nd tier. That's kind of like the gal that weighs 300 lbs telling the hot girl that she's not too attractive.