Reilly out of bounds

Husker66

Bottom line, Nebraska won! Let's Enjoy and get ready for Rutgers.

It's too hard for some people to actually enjoy a win over a top 10 team.

Yeah, who knew winning could be so painful for some "fans" eyeswear2allthatsholy Obviously this season hasn't gone like most of us hoped it would, but you have to enjoy whatever success there is, don't you?

No, everything's not running perfect, but why are you a fan if you can't enjoy a win over an undefeated top 10 team? Imagine how miserable they will be if Nebraska beats Rutgers and Iowa. Positively apoplectic.

^ Great video. We're not talking about whether the MSU DB committed interference, which seems to be what so many people are looking for. We're talking about whether Riley committed a penalty, which, had it been called, would have been one of the tackiest wrongdoings Nebraska has ever endured from the officials.

If a runner gets contacted and that results in him going out of bounds, that is *literally* being forced out.

• Fire 1

^ Great video. We're not talking about whether the MSU DB committed interference, which seems to be what so many people are looking for. We're talking about whether Riley committed a penalty, which, had it been called, would have been one of the tackiest wrongdoings Nebraska has ever endured from the officials.

If a runner gets contacted and that results in him going out of bounds, that is *literally* being forced out.

Exactly! Whether or not the contact forced the reciever out is what the official was judging. :D

Here's the best view yet of the play. From this angle it actually looks like Reilly was "forced out of bounds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A0NOceUx7I

That's the definitive video. Thanks for posting this, Knapp. :thumbs:

This sort of pisses me off at the national sports news services, including BTN. They mostly made it sound like it was a bad call--that Reilly stepped out on his own accord, and him coming back in wasn't reviewable. And when the talking heads were discussing this play most of them only showed the play starting with Reilly's foot out of bounds. None of them showed this good of an angle on the play, end to end. I know, I know, the TV cameras apparently didn't catch this angle. But there must have been 1,000+ fans filming in this corner of the endzone. How hard would it have been to track down a video like this? I guess it's the story that matters, and not the truth. :hmmph

• Fire 1

I watched the end of the BTN replay tonight. They replayed the Reilly catch six times. But every single time they showed a replay they showed it starting where Reilly had already stepped out. Not once did they start the replay a couple seconds earlier in the play where you could see the CB riding him out of bounds. They made it sound like it was a bad call. Very poor reporting of the facts by BTN. Very poor. :hmmph

The problem with the video above is that the person shooting it got excited and it becomes blurry at exactly the point in question... too blurry to really make out what exactly happened. I tried to blow it up and it's just a blur.

I'm now starting to wonder if the sideline official was actually looking at the players BEFORE Reilly went out of bounds OR he only looked at the players AFTER the ball was in the air and only saw the players AFTER Reilly had already run out of bounds... and he then made an assumption that there had been forced contact before that.

The other problem is that the DB was doing exactly what every DB is coached to do on a play like that... and the way he played was the correct way to play it because that's the way it's always been played. The official in effect made up a new interpretation of the rule other than the one that has been used forever in situations like that. Even our own coach thought the play would be overturned.

Someone mentioned earlier on this thread that there is in fact another rule that also comes into play... whether or not the DB has the right to his position on the field... the receiver cant just run over him... so that's why the receiver ran out of bounds... to avoid offensive pass interference...he could have made a move to stay in bounds but he didn't.

The entire incident was not handled correctly despite what some people are claiming.

The problem with the video above is that the person shooting it got excited and it becomes blurry at exactly the point in question... too blurry to really make out what exactly happened. I tried to blow it up and it's just a blur.

I'm now starting to wonder if the sideline official was actually looking at the players BEFORE Reilly went out of bounds OR he only looked at the players AFTER the ball was in the air and only saw the players AFTER Reilly had already run out of bounds... and he then made an assumption that there had been forced contact before that.

The other problem is that the DB was doing exactly what every DB is coached to do on a play like that... and the way he played was the correct way to play it because that's the way it's always been played. The official in effect made up a new interpretation of the rule other than the one that has been used forever in situations like that. Even our own coach thought the play would be overturned.

Someone mentioned earlier on this thread that there is in fact another rule that also comes into play... whether or not the DB has the right to his position on the field... the receiver cant just run over him... so that's why the receiver ran out of bounds... to avoid offensive pass interference...he could have made a move to stay in bounds but he didn't.

The entire incident was not handled correctly despite what some people are claiming.

All that goes out the window when the DB puts his hand on the WR. For the DB to have any case in this argument he'd need to not put his hand on Reilly, which he did the entire time.

I watched the end of the BTN replay tonight. They replayed the Reilly catch six times. But every single time they showed a replay they showed it starting where Reilly had already stepped out. Not once did they start the replay a couple seconds earlier in the play where you could see the CB riding him out of bounds. They made it sound like it was a bad call. Very poor reporting of the facts by BTN. Very poor. :hmmph

Isn't that just the ESPN coverage?

Contact starts at about the 18 yard line. Reilly gets between the defender and the boundary, and as the defender continues out of bounds, he takes Reilly with him. What you can't see from this angle is the defender's arm & shoulder on Reilly, maintaining contact for a good five yards, impelling him out of bounds. This was very evident live, and several people in my section were yelling "INTERFERENCE!" before Reilly caught the pass and we all lost our minds.

NOTE - my seats are in the north end zone almost exactly in line with the hash marks on the west side of the field. We had a perfect angle and were watching these two battle as they came downfield. There was never a doubt in my mind that he was out of bounds because of the defender.

Awesome view of the play, Knapp. Thanks for posting!

Boy, Tommy really got wiped out right after he threw.

I found a segment that the DB had his left arm up in front of Reilly running towards the sideline at an angle. The ref felt that the DB made contact to the WR towards the sideline edging him.

The first view they give is from the camera from behind, replay about the ten yard line it seems that he went out on his own and Rilley comes back to the field of play. Then in the same video the next view is from the sideline camera, notice where the arms of the DB is positioned to keep contact with Rielly, contact established. The DB did not know where the ball was at any time.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/nebraska-stuns-unbeaten-michigan-state-on-controversial-final-play

Scroll down and look to your right for the first video.............................................

Isn't that just the ESPN coverage?

I don't think so. BTN showed the replay several more times than espn did during the game. BTN even had an expert--a former referee or something--explain the rule about contact and what aspects of the play were subject to review. ESPN didn't do any of that during the game.

THE RULE DOES NOT SAY FORCED OUT

The rule has been posted in this thread more than once. If you are too lazy to look for it, that's on you. But stop with the misinformation.

Note - if you find a rule that says "forced out," you're using an outdated version of the rule. Look up the 2015 rule.

I think we will see some rules clarification during the off season because of this play.

That's the way the rule has always been officiated in the past... otherwise any receiver would be able to run up to a defensive back... tap him on the helmet and then run out of bounds... behind the bench and then re-enter the field whenever and wherever he feels like it. Contact would have occurred by the receiver... not the DB... but who cares... contact occurred. That obviously was not the way the rule was intended... and has never that I can remember been officiated that way. There has to be some "blame" assigned... and there always has been... otherwise the rule is worthless... which it appears now that it is.

ALL judgment calls should be reviewable... for exactly this reason... because the "judgment" of officials is often wrong.

We won the game... great for us. We've had many "judgement" calls go against us in the past.

GBR

This rule is not worthless. The rule says if a receiver goes out of bounds due to contact, he can return to the field of play if he does so immediately. There was contact and lots of it on this play.

• Fire 2