University of Misery

Respectfully disagree about "isolated incidents". Just because it doesn't figure much into your life experience does not mean it is the same for others.

As for racism being everywhere, look at Europe's reaction to handling the influx of immigrants. It is a natural, base instinct. Us vs them. Again, most of us do pretty well. But it's not easy being a minority in ways that likely don't occur to those who haven't experienced it.

I'm not saying you or anybody else is racist, but "incidents" are far from isolated. It should be clear that there is plenty of it to go around, and that it's being experienced by a lot of people (but not everyone).

Bolded #1 - I stated exactly what you said. Just because it's my life doesn't mean everyone else is like it. So I understand that. I'm actually glad you restated this because I wasn't sure if I was clear in saying that. Which I apparently was not.

Bolded #2 - I think it is isolated, if I can go to World's of Fun and see blacks/whites/Hispanics/whoever co-exist with no issues. Why would I believe on a large scale that it is somehow different than at public area's such as in Kansas City, Missouri. It is isolated, unless you buy into what the media reports and gets you to believe that there is some imaginary race war going on between whites and blacks.

Again, blanket statements. The reactions of the few don't shape the majority. That's on both sides. The quicker society can accept this, the quicker we can progress.

I hope you can see that your perceptions formed from your observations at an amusement park don't cover the blanket statements you are making. To advocate dismissal of the issue or the conversation is an incredible, and interesting argument to make -- one that deserves far more scrutiny than is being given here.

I'd say, equally, that this is simply "buying in" to another voice in the media.

You may have gotten some terminology mixed up. We're talking about systemic racism and built-in biases that affect people's lives (in small or big ways). Not conservative media's imaginary race war.

• Fire 1

Wish the university would've boycotted football games after this incident.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10323102/university-missouri-officials-did-not-pursue-rape-case-lines-investigation-finds

edit: An incident like this is something to be up in arms about. Whether it's calling for someone in the admin office head, or someone in the athletic department. More specifically, the individual who originally diagnosed / saw her the day after should be fired. Wonder if she would act the same way, by covering it up, if it was her daughter that was being treated. Don't even get me started on their former RB, DGB, and the Mizzou players who robbed/assaulted individuals in a fraternity house. The program has sacrificed integrity for the chance of being a big-time program for sometime now.

Edited by huskerfan120889

We're talking about systemic racism and built-in biases that affect people's lives

Please tell me all about this "systemic racism" and these "built-in biases" and then I will tell you about growing up in a not very nice neighborhood in a large city in Illinois, and see if we can reconcile your theory with my experiences...

• Fire 1

It's appalling to me how much havoc a vocal minority can make in this country anymore. A group of players and students can demand that a college President claim that he has received "White Privilege" or he must resign. That demand alone is ludicrous and I wish the Missouri President would have stood his ground.

Just because the President resigned does not meet this is going to be a done deal. The silent majority who do not agree with how this went down, and the demands from the protesters, will not forget what happened, and I would say many prospective players considering Mizzou won't want to deal with the ongoing drama that will last well beyond 2015. I'm certainly never been a fan of Missouri athletics, but feel sorry for the many Tiger fans that think this is a bunch of BS. I actually work with several people that went to Mizzou and have kids there, and they are not happy with these protesters and taking the Football program hostage.

• Fire 2

If we can find some semblance of common ground here, I'm also -- from the little I've read so far, anyway; this is an incomplete opinion -- skeptical of the aims of the protest. They ran a guy who had earned their fury out of his job. Was that really a solution?

I think these are important issues, and I think social activism is great. That doesn't mean that the power is always wielded the best way.

That said, they did shine a great big light. Maybe the result of all this light is that the school makes sure its next president, whoever he or she is, takes this situation much more seriously. Maybe the last guy truly didn't deserve the chance. I don't know if I can agree with that, but to take the optimist bent, there's reason to hope that this does result in healing and in actual, positive results.

You have to wonder if a 9-0 football team would have seen fit to take the same stand (and kudos, if so. Principle is principle). If nothing else, so many things about these developments at Missouri are captivating, and surprising.

• Fire 1

If we can find some semblance of common ground here, I'm also -- from the little I've read so far, anyway; this is an incomplete opinion -- skeptical of the aims of the protest. They ran a guy who had earned their fury out of his job. Was that really a solution?

I think these are important issues, and I think social activism is great. That doesn't mean that the power is always wielded the best way.

That said, they did shine a great big light. Maybe the result of all this light is that the school makes sure its next president, whoever he or she is, takes this situation much more seriously. Maybe the last guy truly didn't deserve the chance. I don't know if I can agree with that, but to take the optimist bent, there's reason to hope that this does result in healing and in actual, positive results.

You have to wonder if a 9-0 football team would have seen fit to take the same stand (and kudos, if so. Principle is principle). If nothing else, so many things about these developments at Missouri are captivating, and surprising.

I agree that a 9-0 team would not have done this and jeopardized their season. Also, it's ironic that, Missouri's best known gay minority (Michael Sam), praised the President and stated he never experienced any discrimination.

I wonder how Progressives would feel if a football team at another university who felt there was an anti-Christian bias on campus among the faculty and staff banded together and refused to play ball the next weekend until the President and other key administrators admitted that Jesus was their lord and savior. I'm not suggesting any Christian group take on that challenge, but I see that as a Conservative equivalent to what these Progressive protesters have done at Mizzou's campus.

Just be prepared...now that the Progressives won this battle, they will continue pushing their agenda. The new big thing is White Privilege, and you are seeing that on MTV and other networks, and this movement will grow.

• Fire 1

There will now be a Chief Diversity Officer and incoming freshman will be required to take diversity classes. I can only imagine the amount of white guilt that will be in those classes.

Will they make every white student stand up and "admit white privilege" as these protesters demanded. It's all part of the Progressive Push on Diversity and Inclusion to help diminish whites in hopes of elevating minorities.

So... there isn't racism at Missouri? It's all made up so... I don't know... "someone" can get the Mizzou president fired?

Is that what's being claimed here, and why this thread is being diminished and made fun of?

There is racism everywhere, not just at Mizzou. And I am not making fun of the situation...I think there is something seriously wrong when a group of football players can align with a fringe group on the left to force out a University President for not complying with their demands, one of which requires that the President admit "White Privilege."

I will guarantee every university, even at UNL, have had situations where someone was made fun of, called an inappropriate name, etc.. I just find it very interesting that the most visible minority gay student ever to exist at Mizzou's campus, Michael Sam, has come out and spoke highly of Wolfe and stated that he felt no discrimination on campus or any lack of focus by the administration in helping him as a gay minority.