University of Misery

So, I can't believe nobody has started a new discussion of the big racial 'strike' and player/athlete walk out at Univ of Missouri. the Tiger football team with the coach's blessing has walked out. No more football in Missouri this year. I find it hard to believe that Pinkel will stick with this as his job is in jeopardy I would expect. They say they are not going to play football anymore until the racial crap going around Columbia and the campus stops and U of MO President resigns from his job. I don't see a President of a University resigning a couple hundred grand a year prestigous job to pacify a bunch of college students who may beginning some kind of 'Black lives matter' type protest saga.

This one could get ugly boys. Hope to God nothing like this comes to Lincoln anytime. We will have major problems. could destroy the program.

Missouri will lose millions of dollars in game revenues, forfeit games, may have NCAA problems as they have contract obligations, etc. SEC won't like them not showing up for games, etc.

Edited by NUance
84Law, I merged another thread into your thread and inadvertently changed your thread title. Go ahead and change it back if you want. (I don't recall what your title was originally.)

So, I can't believe nobody has started a new discussion of the big racial 'strike' and player/athlete walk out at Univ of Missouri. the Tiger football team with the coach's blessing has walked out. No more football in Missouri this year. I find it hard to believe that Pinkel will stick with this as his job is in jeopardy I would expect. They say they are not going to play football anymore until the racial crap going around Columbia and the campus stops and U of MO President resigns from his job. I don't see a President of a University resigning a couple hundred grand a year prestigous job to pacify a bunch of college students who may beginning some kind of 'Black lives matter' type protest saga.

This one could get ugly boys. Hope to God nothing like this comes to Lincoln anytime. We will have major problems. could destroy the program.

Missouri will lose millions of dollars in game revenues, forfeit games, may have NCAA problems as they have contract obligations, etc. SEC won't like them not showing up for games, etc.

The players are asking for too much. They need to find a middle ground. I find it hard to believe the racist stuff is soley his fault. It just takes one a*hole to do that stuff.

If it was posted. it wouldn't be in the Husker forum, it should be in another topic.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the Missouri team and Pinkel making a stand. The players have a lot of power as they are responsible for so much revenue, and maybe it's not a bad thing for them to try to use it for what seems like a worthwhile cause. I've only heard and read a little about this.

And how about that, the president did resign. It doesn't fix the problem, but it's a very good step. From what I understand he was really dragging his heels on the issues. Again, based on my limited knowledge.

Wow, Mizzou President Tim Wolfe resigned. Maybe I don't understand the events, but I didn't seem much of a nexus connecting Wolfe to the campus cop who failed to act. Or maybe there's more to it than that. :dunno:

I read today's ESPN article and I can't find the connection between the actions of white college students being dumb, and it being the fault of the president of the university. Did I miss some critical details?

Did Wolfe come out an endorse the white students actions? What is the president going to do to stop those students from making a choice and partaking in those idiotic actions? Why is he responsible for the actions of others? Do they know specifically which students were being dumb?

I'm so tired of hearing that this country has a race problem. The actions of few don't deserve the blanket statement status they create.

Black guy robs a store = all black people are thugs.

White guy hates blacks = All whites hate blacks

Priest molests child = All priests molest children.

Christian man hates homosexuality = All Christians hate gay people

Woman gets fired from her job = All women are discriminated against

I hate this more than just about anything.

• Fire 5

I was curious to about why this was on the president of Mizzou, did he not step up security on campus? Or ask for tips to catch the person who did these acts?

Smearing a swastika in feces shows a sign of someone with some mental problems. Probably not even a Mizzou student, you're way out there to be able to do that.

It's hard to say whether it was just on the president or not, but man, you even have the governor of Missouri saying his resignation was needed.

This was a powerful showing of activism in college athletics -- well, I think it is unprecedented anyway. A graduate student on a hunger strike probably gets ignored. Not playing football anymore? Woah now, we can talk about this, can't we?

I don't fully understand everything that has happened there, but these guys probably didn't get so fired up for nothing. I hope that the change they called for was the right one. Are there going to be immediate, tangible results, like a reversal of the Planned Parenthood and healthcare decisions? An accelerated timetable for addressing these other issues? I certainly hope it is not just one unpopular man losing his job and another, newer face stepping into his place. If that's the case, he might do approximately the same thing the last guy did (especially if it wasn't *so* bad) -- just minus the anger. There need to be results here, or what was all that for?

Coach, I think every country has a race problem (although some are less diverse and so the "problem" has less voice to speak). Racism is built in to humanity. We do relatively well, but part of that is listening and continuing to try to do better.

This whole story is called "Progressivism 101" and its really sad for the current and former students of Missouri. It's another example of the vocal minority wreaking havoc on the silent majority. Here were the demands that this protest group had of Wolfe:

Please note that at the top of the list is that he had to acknowledge his White Male Privilege. What the f*ck.

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.

• Fire 3

Coach, I think every country has a race problem (although some are less diverse and so the "problem" has less voice to speak). Racism is built in to humanity. We do relatively well, but part of that is listening and continuing to try to do better.

I respectfully disagree. I think we have a people problem. Even Ben Carson said he doesn't think there is a race problem. He says it's a "BRAIN" problem. It gets conditioned to an extent where people read news outlets and hear a narrative one side or the other. Then, at the end of reading an article people are allowed to comment emotionally on that. When we read these things and see all the emotional and often irrational responses to stories like this our brains get conditioned to think one way or the other.

It's also because of the stigma TV and movies bring in to how people dress, and look as a CHOSEN appearance rather than something they cannot control (skin, hair, eyes). For example, I was walking to my car off campus the other day in Kearney. A 19/20/21 year old white guy is walking down the street with a his pants hanging halfway down his legs, boxers out, raggy/dirty jacket on, chain from his pockets, and smoking a cigarette while his hood is up.

I carefully watched him and kept my awareness on him as I walked by to my car, it's not something I consciously thought about, it's just what my brain was conditioned to do. If that guy was in nice jeans and a polo, I wouldn't have given it another thought. My heightened awareness might have also had something to do with the fact I was carrying 500 dollars cash that day in my wallet for a specific reason.

I walk by black students all the time here in kearney, and never give it a second thought about anger or anything. They are people just like me. If they were wearing what that white kid was wearing I would have kept my eye out and my awareness up a bit till I was a ways off in the distance. It has nothing to do with skin color, it's how people present themselves.

Easy to say when I'm describing myself I know, and I get that not everyone is like what I am. I just have a hard time seeing the race issue when we co-exist every where except for isolated incidents. Some people just can't distinguish factors in their beliefs and just think that everything is a blanket statement.

Sorry for the ramble.

• Fire 1

Respectfully disagree about "isolated incidents". Just because it doesn't figure much into your life experience does not mean it is the same for others.

As for racism being everywhere, look at Europe's reaction to handling the influx of immigrants. It is a natural, base instinct. Us vs them. Again, most of us do pretty well. But it's not easy being a minority in ways that likely don't occur to those who haven't experienced it.

I'm not saying you or anybody else is racist, but "incidents" are far from isolated. It should be clear that there is plenty of it to go around, and that it's being experienced by a lot of people (but not everyone).

• Fire 1