University of Misery

The situation at Mizzou came to a head due to lack of leadership and lack of awareness. There have been a series of incidents in the past year of racial intimidation, racist comments, etc that have continuously increased tensions on campus, and the university president did nothing to respond to it or address.

Even when he was directly confronted, he failed to acknowledge said tensions and did not show any understanding, empathy, or awareness. In his resignation, he admitted this mistake.

There was honestly very little that the guy could have done by himself over the last couple of months to cure the racial tension at Missouri, but the lack of response or understanding of the matter was shameful, and that is why he is out. Evil is allowed to exist when good men do nothing.

You know what else is shameful? A few folks in this thread being dismissive of racial incidents and minimizing the very real tensions that exist in this country. Dismissing a swastica in this situation as "art", giving it a pass because of a fabricated "mental disorder", non sequitur critiques of a protestor because his family has money, and blaming any of this on Obama is utterly ignorant.

• Fire 2

You have to allow for that kind of thing. I guess I'm cynical enough that I pondered that possibility from the beginning.I mean really - a swastika made of poop? ...why?Even if the poop swastika was a hoax - and I'm finding zero photographic evidence of it in my 30-second google search - a swastika drawn in ashes in April wasn't a hoax.http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/crime/mu-student-accused-of-hate-crime-pleads-guilty-to-lesser/article_65dd266f-40d4-58ba-b38a-321233c798b9.html

And the university caught him and he was punished by the judicial system, what else do we want?

• Fire 1

The situation at Mizzou came to a head due to lack of leadership and lack of awareness. There have been a series of incidents in the past year of racial intimidation, racist comments, etc that have continuously increased tensions on campus, and the university president did nothing to respond to it or address.

Even when he was directly confronted, he failed to acknowledge said tensions and did not show any understanding, empathy, or awareness. In his resignation, he admitted this mistake.

There was honestly very little that the guy could have done by himself over the last couple of months to cure the racial tension at Missouri, but the lack of response or understanding of the matter was shameful, and that is why he is out. Evil is allowed to exist when good men do nothing.

You know what else is shameful? A few folks in this thread being dismissive of racial incidents and minimizing the very real tensions that exist in this country. Dismissing a swastica in this situation as "art", giving it a pass because of a fabricated "mental disorder", non sequitur critiques of a protestor because his family has money, and blaming any of this on Obama is utterly ignorant.

Please explain the series of incidents besides something being displayed on a wall and two claims of racial slurs. Again, I can go nearly any public bathroom in a college and see derogatory language towards blacks, whites, gays, christians, etc... Please tell me where the public officials of the university condoned racist behavior, or where they knew who specifically was initiating racial slurs and failed to take action.

As I stated earlier, I know its a big campus, but I have heard from three peers who all have kids currently enrolled in Columbia who have friends of all races, and they acknowledge they have seen protesters around, but have not seen or heard of anyone feeling afraid to be on campus, or feel that racism had worsened on campus.

• Fire 2

Super well said, Ulty.

That professor and most of the people in that crowd should be ashamed. That is very poor.

If the argument is that nobody actually feels that racism is an issue on campus, you are choosing not to listen. Or, you see and hear the protestors but dismiss their position. I'm not going to say whether that's fair or unfair. Just trying to summarize the position. We didn't get to this point by hardly anyone feeling there has been an issue.

One way free speech

Exactly...that's exactly what the Progressive movement is all about. Speaking loudly and imposing their will when its convenient for them, and silencing anyone that disagrees with them. This woman is a Professor of Communications at the University, and from what I have seen so far, she still has her job and has not been forced to resign. We have video evidence of her encouraging guys with "muscles" to come and take away an actual Mizzou journalism student...where are the leftist protesters demanding her ouster?

• Fire 2

Now that we know what you think is shameful, you can take a gander at what I think is shameful:

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/read-university-missouri-protesters-list-impressive-demands-led-presidents

• Fire 1

Care to elaborate on all of these incidents? I'm honestly not trying to be a smart ass, I'd probably change my view (or be more willing to accept the protest) if I saw more examples of racism. Does anyone even know why the hunger strike started? The main reason had to deal with the adminstrations change in insurance policy for graduate students. Last I checked, it wasn't just all black graduate students - it was also whites, browns, expecting mothers, etc. So for this to be centered around just race is simply to fit an agenda of one group. Hell, look at what the pres did, or tried to pass, on Greek life at Mizzou (which is quite involved, since homecoming started there) this summer.

This article contains a timeline of events and relevant history (yes Slate leans left, but it's the first one I could find that listed everything together):

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/11/09/timeline_of_u_of_missouri_protests_and_president_resignation.html

It was more than a couple random comments. There has been a steady escalation of tensions that were not properly addressed.

The links that the article posts to mentions 4 incidents . 4. Spanning from 2004 to 2012. The 2012 event occurred prior to Wolfe being hired i.e. none of the events mentioned in the article took place under his watch. I don't know how often these kinds of things are alleged to occur at other schools, but 3 allegations in 8 years doesn't seem like a particular culture of any time is being fostered. Of course, NOBODY wants such events to occur, but what exactly can be done to halt the activity of a VERY few in a campus of 35k+?

In other news, it's a bit upsetting that you've changed some of our words around and that a few in this thread continue to discount the possibility of a mental health disorder while also marginalizing the experiences that those suffering from such issues go through. Shameful, really.

• Fire 1

Funny thing about polls is they're reflective of the opinion's of people who respond to them.

If the next President was elected based solely on the results of polls from Southern States, Hell would have to freeze over in order for the Democratic nominee to win the election. Same thing goes for these polls: maybe the people who responded to the poll were the ones who cared enough to answer to a poll because their perceptions were that race relations have been getting worse under President Obama. Or maybe these were just people who hate Obama enough to respond to a poll in a way that makes him look as terrible as possible. But the responses, by and large are hardly representative of the entire population.

Speaking of people's perceptions, it's pretty easy for us to assume that, because we constantly hear about isolated incidents of cops shooting unarmed Black men, that this must be going on at a constant rate across the country. That is more than likely not the case.

The availability heuristic is a funny thing; if I were to ask what kills more people in the US each year: tornadoes or lightning strikes, the majority of us would respond with tornadoes, and be wrong. We just think tornadoes kill more people because it's easier for us to imagine a tornado wreaking havoc on a town rather than a random lightning strike hitting a single person. Because an event is more imaginable in our minds, we overestimate the likelihood of its occurrence. So I'm guessing that cops killing unarmed Black people is not a frequent occurrence, but yet here we are thinking it is because that's all we hear about in the media.

The Blacks and Whites and Hispanics working together for a united cause isn't as good of a story.

• Fire 1

So it's OK to minimize this situation because:

There is racism everywhere

This is a fringe group

The words "white privilege" were used

Someone was made fun of at every university

Michael Sam said he didn't get discriminated against

Does that cover it, or are there other reasons this should be scoffed at?

Judging from the video, it appears as though First Amendment rights are being scoffed at for the sake of "humanity!!!1!1!". Additionally, mob intimidation tactics, assault, and abject waste of state resources are definitely in play here.

yeah, that whole mizzou situation is a complete joke. too bad it isn't that funny. racism is like anything else in today's media driven society, it's an opportunity for exposure and dollars. a lot of young people allow peer pressure to dictate their beliefs in pretty much anything without understanding any of it. hell, a lot pf people in general i guess.

• Fire 2

Lots of really troubling stuff going on down there right now.

People being arrested for online threats on Yik-Yak, groups of white students riding around in pickup trucks terrorizing black students, kids getting emails claiming a purge happening today, some professors canceling their classes for student safety, others refusing to cancel their classes and exams despite students claiming to feel unsafe.

tumblr_nxmzetZKTI1rrbk3uo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxmzetZKTI1rrbk3uo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxn6prFxpG1s7hxsdo4_1280.png

tumblr_nxn6prFxpG1s7hxsdo1_1280.jpg