Was Ganz Nebraska's best QB?

I don't think it's fair to compare QB's from different eras and in different offenses.

If you look at a guy like Steve Taylor, he would have been a total stud in an offense he was asked to pass more.

You think so? He's statistically the 3rd worst accurate passer on the list.

Different eras and different offenses. I am just going by what I saw with my two eyes, and I think he would have been dangerous in today's offenses that truly use a dual-threat QB.

No, but he did have the best season in Nebraska history.

If Joe Ganz' senior year would have happened on a better team and any other season than when Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford and Graham Harrell all setting the world on fire, he would have been right in the thick of major award consideration and all conference/american honors.

No, but he did have the best season in Nebraska history.

If Joe Ganz' senior year would have happened on a better team and any other season than when Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford and Graham Harrell all setting the world on fire, he would have been right in the thick of major award consideration and all conference/american honors.

Plus he got some sweet stats in starting the last 3 games of Callahan's era, when BC tried to show everyone how awesome his offense was, regardless who was quarterback.

I don't think it's fair to compare QB's from different eras and in different offenses.

If you look at a guy like Steve Taylor, he would have been a total stud in an offense he was asked to pass more.

You think so? He's statistically the 3rd worst accurate passer on the list.

Different eras and different offenses. I am just going by what I saw with my two eyes, and I think he would have been dangerous in today's offenses that truly use a dual-threat QB.

Gerry Gdowski would have been another QB of the 1980s who I think would have been a complete stud in today's spread offenses that utilize strong passers who can also run.

Ganz did some great stuff when he got the chance...

but it's kind of like judging the best "option QB" to play at USC.

said this before in another thread... Gdowski is the one I wish I could have seen play.

Gdowski was a great player, great athlete. I am sure Osborne wishes he would have redshirted him one year. If he was a 5th year senior in 1990, it could have been a totally different end to the year. Mickey Joseph was a good option guy, but his limitations limited NU in the loss to CU. Then Joseph got hurt early in the Oklahoma and NU had to go with Haase & Grant after that.

In my opinion, Gerry Godowski was our very best all around QB . Ganz threw a lot more INTs and I view those as very negative stats. I would rather see the completition% drop some but get the INT numbers way down. He was a tremendous athlete with great speed, good, careful and accurate passer, smart, etc. He only played the one season so his numbers were limited by that as well as by the offense type some.

Ganz was good. But the stats fail to indicate the won/loss % for the team he was the QB for. You can throw for 10,000 yards but if the team is not winning, then you have to discount accordingly. First and foremost for any player, he must be a winner! Certainly, all players at all positions have to judged that way but most especially for the QB who is the 'trigger' man in charge of getting the team in the right plays and putting the other offensive 'skill' players in positions with the ball to make successful plays.

Sometimes the QB have massive yardage is NOT a good sign. Example is Eric Crouch. He had too many rushing yards as the result was he became the primary yard gainer rather than the commander of the offense who distributed the ball (ala Tommy Frazier). I consider Tommy Frazier and Turner Gill as our most successful QBs. Gill would be my pick if I had to choose one guy to run 'any' type of offense. He was a gifted athlete. Great arm, careful, smart, excellent runner, field general, a coach's mind, etc.

I would build my hypothetical offense around Gill /Frazier and Godowski. Those would be first, second and thrid string QBs.

I don't think Ganz makes my top ten. But I want a QB who is athletic and can run well. I am not sure I would take Ganz over Tommy A. I would put Taylor Martinez (as a Freshman) in my top ten certainly. But not top 5.

• Fire 2