Was Ganz Nebraska's best QB?

Passing stats only tell part of the story. They're more relevant to the NFL than to college ball. Especially in the type of offenses Nebraska has historically run. I mean, just look at Scott Frost's stats. He has a mediocre QB rating of 128.8. About the only thing he did well in our passing game was that he was seldom threw interceptions. Still, I'd say Frost would be among our best QBs ever. Probably around 4th or 5th on a lot of people's lists.

That said, if you're talking pure passer I'd put Vince Ferragamo pretty high on that list. Stats or no stats.

Zac Taylor >>>>> Joe Ganz

Zac Taylor >>>>> Joe Ganz

That's disrespectful to what Joe did while he was here. Which qb had to throw to Niles Paul? That was a stat altering wr....

Niles Paul only had 23 catches Joe's senior year (7th on the team in receptions).

Joe threw to Roy Helu, Marlon Lucky, Nate Swift, Todd Petersen, Mike McNeill, and Menelik Holt.

Zac threw to Brandon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Terrence Nunn, Frantz Hardy, Maurice Purify, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson (at a much reduced rate), as well as a sleu of about 6 different tight ends. Joe might have been the better quarterback, but he didn't go through half of the punishment that Zac did.

You had a quarterback at NU that went on to start in a superbowl. That's a fact that puts Ferragamo at the top of the list.

No it's not. What they went on to do in the NFL is not very relevant. That'd take Crouch and Frazier off the "best quarterbacks list" (if we're not calling this a best "true QB" list).

• Fire 1

You had a quarterback at NU that went on to start in a superbowl. That's a fact that puts Ferragamo at the top of the list.

No it's not. What they went on to do in the NFL is not very relevant. That'd take Crouch and Frazier off the "best quarterbacks list" (if we're not calling this a best "true QB" list).

I have always hated that argument. tOSU fans have used that argument when Eddie George was given the Hypesman over Tommie in 1995. Their NFL career has nothing to do with what they did in college.

• Fire 2

Lots of good names thrown out there. I get that this is more about passing, but Crouch will get the vote from me. Dude threw 10 guys on his back and carried them. I believe you could put him on this team. Tell him to run MR offense and we would have a 10 win season. He was tough as anyone in red and white during my time watching Nebraska football.

Brook berringer had a chance in the NFL as well. I put him in my top ten as well. Good thrower, tall and good runner. good leader.

Dave Humm was the best 'pure passer' but was not a runner at all. Pocket guy. Beautiful spiral balls that were very very catchable and he could throw all the throws with zip or touch, short medium or long. Long NFL career backing up one of the all time greats.

Steve Taylor was very smooth and a good thrower and fine runner. Good leader, confident and careful. He makes the top ten as well.

Zac Taylor also in the top ten I would think.

Keithen McCant was the most unappreciated (think of him as a 'lost boy') QBs. If he would have had a couple seasons with some back up play time before his one year as a starter, he could have been a star. Tall, nice arm, intelligent, good runner, etc.

• Fire 1

I might still pick Zac Taylor over Joe Ganz, but it'd probably be between Ferragamo and Taylor for all time.

Taylor is most likely the biggest reason Nebraska won at all during the Callahan years, and he and Ganz had a lot of things in common statistically their senior seasons. You really can't go wrong with either guy.

Ferragamo's senior season QB rating was 145.1, just for everyone's reference.

Best QBR ratings by season since 2004 using ESPN's QBR (Qualifed players only)

2015 Armstrong 75.9

2012 Martinez 74.8

2010 Martinez 69.8

2008 Ganz 68.5

2014 Armstrong 64.3

2006 Taylor 63.8

2011 Martinez 58.4

2007 Keller 56.1

2005 Taylor 48.4

2009 Lee 38.4

2004 Dailey 34.3

Thought some of the numbers were interesting. Link below has an explanation of the QBR statistic

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9612585/total-quarterback-rating-college-football

I'll have to echo other's thoughts here - the NFL should have absolutely nothing to do with a college quarterback's career. A lot of great college players choose to never even move on to the NFL, or, decide to pursue other avenues for a variety of reasons. That should not be used as a barometer for their college career.

Lots of good names thrown out there. I get that this is more about passing, but Crouch will get the vote from me. Dude threw 10 guys on his back and carried them. I believe you could put him on this team. Tell him to run MR offense and we would have a 10 win season. He was tough as anyone in red and white during my time watching Nebraska football.

I don't think that's the argument here. I believe OP's designation of a "true qb" references said QB's passing abilities, and their ability to read defenses while making plays. Crouch would not really be in that conversation. Phenomenal athlete and leader, but not in the same conversation with these other QB's in terms of throwing the football.

• Fire 1