Was Ganz Nebraska's best QB?

. While he (Jamal Lord( wasn't the best passing QB, his time at NU is under appreciated. He had bad RB's and WR's and Lord was out there pretty much all by himself.

Jamal Lord often had to scramble for the first down marker on third and long to keep a drive going. I don't think any ball carrier EVER scrapped and bulled and lunged for that marker more than Jamal Lord did once he got within three yards of it. I always felt sorry for Lord in that too many times he had the game put on his back and then got trashed because he couldn't carry the whole team.

. While he (Jamal Lord( wasn't the best passing QB, his time at NU is under appreciated. He had bad RB's and WR's and Lord was out there pretty much all by himself.

Jamal Lord often had to scramble for the first down marker on third and long to keep a drive going. I don't think any ball carrier EVER scrapped and bulled and lunged for that marker more than Jamal Lord did once he got within three yards of it. I always felt sorry for Lord in that too many times he had the game put on his back and then got trashed because he couldn't carry the whole team.

Plus Lord had to deal with replacing Crouch, having Solich and Cotton for his OC's, no weapons at WR, and average I-backs at his side. Yes, he was not good passing the ball, but he still did a good job of running the offense.

You had a quarterback at NU that went on to start in a superbowl. That's a fact that puts Ferragamo at the top of the list.

I'll have to echo other's thoughts here - the NFL should have absolutely nothing to do with a college quarterback's career. A lot of great college players choose to never even move on to the NFL, or, decide to pursue other avenues for a variety of reasons. That should not be used as a barometer for their college career.

Lots of good names thrown out there. I get that this is more about passing, but Crouch will get the vote from me. Dude threw 10 guys on his back and carried them. I believe you could put him on this team. Tell him to run MR offense and we would have a 10 win season. He was tough as anyone in red and white during my time watching Nebraska football.

I don't think that's the argument here. I believe OP's designation of a "true qb" references said QB's passing abilities, and their ability to read defenses while making plays. Crouch would not really be in that conversation. Phenomenal athlete and leader, but not in the same conversation with these other QB's in terms of throwing the football.

Crouch wasn't even the best QB on Nebraska's team in 2001 when he won the Heisman - Bobby Newcomb was. He would make my top ten list as well. Crouch should have been the wide receiver about half the time and Newcomb taking snaps. Newcomb was faster than Crouch and much better passer. IMO

This is a take I haven't heard before, actually.

I'll be honest, my recollection of this era isn't great. However, from a passing perspective, there's very little statistical support for the argument that Newcombe was a top ten QB at Nebraska. He only threw 99 passes and at most threw 79 (his sophomore season). Wasn't that the year Crouch was started over Newcombe and the team never looked back?

Regardless, at least in my own opinion, Eric Crouch was that 2001 team. Without him, they probably aren't even sniffing the national title game, and Crouch was a highlight reel running machine. Was Newcombe capable of making those consistent game-changing plays?

I believe you could possibly go back and find a LJS or OWH article / letter to the editor from Tom Osborne that I recall (he rarely if ever wrote those) in which he basically directly told Frank Solich that Bobby Newcomb was the BEST QB recruit Tom ever had and should be the starting QB over Crouch. Crouch, most of you may recall, actually quit the team at one point and went back to Omaha because Newcomb appeared to be going to be the starter over him and he was upset. Frank went to Omaha and basically begged him to come back to rejoin the team and that if he did he would make him the QB and move Newcombe to receiver/returner. While Eric Crouch was a great athlete and did very well and the Huskers won lots of games with him as the quarterback (he was more of a running back taking snaps in the QB position at times), I firmly felt Newcombe was better QB. Both were great athletes. Believe it or not, Newcomb was faster and more elusive. Not maybe quit as strong. Newcomb was very much like Turner Gill physically (only much faster even though Gill ran a 4.45 - forty). Newcomb had the most graceful 2.5 yard long stride and could simply fly. I believe he would have been one of the fastest Huskers ever if they would have lined up a 100 or even 200 yard race. On Newcomb's first snap in the spring game, he went 80 on a base option to the left. Nobody on the team even gave serious chase as they knew they had no chance. Later he blew out a knew and it took a year of rehab. I think this gave the opening for Crouch. Crouch, being a Omaha favoritie, did have a big booster club. Crouch provide many great memories and I loved him as well but I truly believe had Osborne remained coach and Newcombe healthy, he would have Nebraska's greatest QB.

No I am sorry. Joey Ganz while good was far from the best. There can only be one greatest NU QB of all time and that would be Jammal Lord. A close second would be Mike Grant.

Putting Mike Grant in the same catagory as Lord is laughable. There are only a couple QB's that have started games (in recent history) that are on the level of Grant. Dailey, Green, and maybe Turman.

Keithen McCant..Mickey Joseph.

Are you actually saying Keithen McCant wasn't any good? The guy led the team to a Big 8 title, was All-Conference, and Conference Offensive Player of the Year.

http://www.scout.com/college/nebraska/story/1197512-husker-look-back-better-late-than-never?s=204

No. To clarify. Grant, McCant, and Joseph all seemed to blur together for me before Frazier. Some good play, injuries, and some not so great play.

Plus Lord had to deal with replacing Crouch, having Solich and Cotton for his OC's, no weapons at WR, and average I-backs at his side. Yes, he was not good passing the ball, but he still did a good job of running the offense.

I remember watching the games, taking all of this into consideration, and still thinking Jamal Lord was a liability at quarterback.

The last two Nebraska QBs also put flawed teams on their backs and tried to carry the day. They get trashed, too.

But I'd take them both over Lord.

Lord inherited the same RB Crouch had — 1,300 yard, 5.6 ypc Dahran Deidrick — and ran the same system for the same coach. The WRs remained almost precisely as mediocre. And we'd kill to have the Nebraska Defense Lord had back in 2002.

Something that surprises me is that Taylor Martinez was almost a career 60% passer.

That's uh...not too bad.

Yet so many Nebraska fans hated him and were mad that he wasn't a career 70% passer!!!

Taylor's not soo much different than the guy we have under center right now: he'd force some throws when the sideline would've sufficed. But one thing you could never question was his heart, and he led some pretty monumental comebacks in his 4 years at Nebraska. Too bad injury shortened his senior season.

Taylor Martinez was a good QB he just didn't win enough games to make everyone happy. He was also an odd duck in interviews. I think that threw people off more than anything. Jim Harbaugh is the coaching equivalent.

Taylor Martinez won more than Zac Taylor, yet fans LOVE Zac Taylor. Doesn't make sense to me.
It was his toughness. The guy literally got the crap kicked out of him every Saturday. Every time he took a massive blind side shot, you'd think he was dead. He'd slowly pick himself off the turf and make a great play. The guy was brick wall during a uncertain time.

Something that surprises me is that Taylor Martinez was almost a career 60% passer.

That's uh...not too bad.

Yet so many Nebraska fans hated him and were mad that he wasn't a career 70% passer!!!

Taylor's not soo much different than the guy we have under center right now: he'd force some throws when the sideline would've sufficed. But one thing you could never question was his heart, and he led some pretty monumental comebacks in his 4 years at Nebraska. Too bad injury shortened his senior season.

Taylor Martinez was a good QB he just didn't win enough games to make everyone happy. He was also an odd duck in interviews. I think that threw people off more than anything. Jim Harbaugh is the coaching equivalent.

Taylor Martinez won more than Zac Taylor, yet fans LOVE Zac Taylor. Doesn't make sense to me.
It was his toughness. The guy literally got the crap kicked out of him every Saturday. Every time he took a massive blind side shot, you'd think he was dead. He'd slowly pick himself off the turf and make a great play. The guy was brick wall during a uncertain time.
That describes Tmart to a T. Played injured for 3 years, didn't complain about it. He also had horrendous lines if you remember

Lord inherited the same RB Crouch had 1,300 yard, 5.6 ypc Dahran Deidrick and ran the same system for the same coach. The WRs remained almost precisely as mediocre. And we'd kill to have the Nebraska Defense Lord had back in 2002.

Didn't that 2002 defense get Craig Bohl fired, along with his assistant coaches?

Lord inherited the same RB Crouch had 1,300 yard, 5.6 ypc Dahran Deidrick and ran the same system for the same coach. The WRs remained almost precisely as mediocre. And we'd kill to have the Nebraska Defense Lord had back in 2002.

Didn't that 2002 defense get Craig Bohl fired, along with his assistant coaches?

Yeah, 2002 defense kinda sucked. By 2003 they were giving up only 14 points a game and back in the thick of it.

I just found both years of Jamal Lord offenses the hardest to watch in all my years of fandom.

Yeah, 2002 defense kinda sucked. By 2003 they were giving up only 14 points a game and back in the thick of it.

I just found both years of Jamal Lord offenses the hardest to watch in all my years of fandom.

Lol, I hear ya. It wasn't great, but I don't think it was all Lord's fault.