Was Ganz Nebraska's best QB?

You had a quarterback at NU that went on to start in a superbowl. That's a fact that puts Ferragamo at the top of the list.

I'll have to echo other's thoughts here - the NFL should have absolutely nothing to do with a college quarterback's career. A lot of great college players choose to never even move on to the NFL, or, decide to pursue other avenues for a variety of reasons. That should not be used as a barometer for their college career.

Lots of good names thrown out there. I get that this is more about passing, but Crouch will get the vote from me. Dude threw 10 guys on his back and carried them. I believe you could put him on this team. Tell him to run MR offense and we would have a 10 win season. He was tough as anyone in red and white during my time watching Nebraska football.

I don't think that's the argument here. I believe OP's designation of a "true qb" references said QB's passing abilities, and their ability to read defenses while making plays. Crouch would not really be in that conversation. Phenomenal athlete and leader, but not in the same conversation with these other QB's in terms of throwing the football.

Crouch wasn't even the best QB on Nebraska's team in 2001 when he won the Heisman - Bobby Newcomb was. He would make my top ten list as well. Crouch should have been the wide receiver about half the time and Newcomb taking snaps. Newcomb was faster than Crouch and much better passer. IMO

• Fire 1

Had Joe Ganz been here for the 2009 season, I firmly believe we wouldn't have lost a single game. Probably score a other 10 @ VaTech, we would have gotten at least 3 more points against ISU, could have won a shootout with Tech and we definitely would have had enough points to beat Texas. What could have been.

No, but he was better than Sam Keller and should have been the starter in 2007. Ganz would do well with what Langsdorf and Riley have historically done. It'll be interesting to see how much of the QB run game they keep after Tommy graduates.

I think quarterbacking is best measured in wins rather than individual stats. That why I'd put Frazier at #1, and Frost in the top few.

It would be interesting to see how different QBs would have performed in different eras/systems. I'd like to see Ganz play today; Martinez play in the Frazier era; Frazier in the Martinez era.

You had a quarterback at NU that went on to start in a superbowl. That's a fact that puts Ferragamo at the top of the list.

I'll have to echo other's thoughts here - the NFL should have absolutely nothing to do with a college quarterback's career. A lot of great college players choose to never even move on to the NFL, or, decide to pursue other avenues for a variety of reasons. That should not be used as a barometer for their college career.

Lots of good names thrown out there. I get that this is more about passing, but Crouch will get the vote from me. Dude threw 10 guys on his back and carried them. I believe you could put him on this team. Tell him to run MR offense and we would have a 10 win season. He was tough as anyone in red and white during my time watching Nebraska football.

I don't think that's the argument here. I believe OP's designation of a "true qb" references said QB's passing abilities, and their ability to read defenses while making plays. Crouch would not really be in that conversation. Phenomenal athlete and leader, but not in the same conversation with these other QB's in terms of throwing the football.

Crouch wasn't even the best QB on Nebraska's team in 2001 when he won the Heisman - Bobby Newcomb was. He would make my top ten list as well. Crouch should have been the wide receiver about half the time and Newcomb taking snaps. Newcomb was faster than Crouch and much better passer. IMO

This is a take I haven't heard before, actually.

I'll be honest, my recollection of this era isn't great. However, from a passing perspective, there's very little statistical support for the argument that Newcombe was a top ten QB at Nebraska. He only threw 99 passes and at most threw 79 (his sophomore season). Wasn't that the year Crouch was started over Newcombe and the team never looked back?

Regardless, at least in my own opinion, Eric Crouch was that 2001 team. Without him, they probably aren't even sniffing the national title game, and Crouch was a highlight reel running machine. Was Newcombe capable of making those consistent game-changing plays?

I'll be honest, my recollection of this era isn't great. However, from a passing perspective, there's very little statistical support for the argument that Newcombe was a top ten QB at Nebraska. He only threw 99 passes and at most threw 79 (his sophomore season). Wasn't that the year Crouch was started over Newcombe and the team never looked back?

Regardless, at least in my own opinion, Eric Crouch was that 2001 team. Without him, they probably aren't even sniffing the national title game, and Crouch was a highlight reel running machine. Was Newcombe capable of making those consistent game-changing plays?

Originally, it was Newcombe who everybody thought was going to be the next great QB. He played WR and punt returns in 1997 just to get him on the field and he was extremely athletic. Newcombe was a great athlete, but he wasn't a better QB than Crouch.

I don't think it's fair to compare QB's from different eras and in different offenses.

If you look at a guy like Steve Taylor, he would have been a total stud in an offense he was asked to pass more.

You think so? He's statistically the 3rd worst accurate passer on the list.

I agree. The rules have changed so much over the years it is difficult to compare QBs from different eras. I agree with Bofin about Gadowski. I always thought Gadowski was one of the all time greats, and one of the most under rated QBs we have ever had. Tend TDs for every interception is amazing.

I was extremely excited to see Newcomb play QB in 1998. How many teams had a starting QB that returned a punt for a TD? I thought Newcomb lost a step after his knee injury. My son wore a Newcomb jersey for several years.

IMO Newcomb was better than Crouch until he hurt his knee. Crouch was a dynamic runner, but he was one of the worst at pitching the ball. He had poor timing and accuracy on his pitches.

If you look at a guy like Steve Taylor, he would have been a total stud in an offense he was asked to pass more.

If I had a nickel for every time Taylor bounced a pass to Todd Milliken when Milliken was fifteen yards away from the closest defender, I would have my own skybox...

...on each side of the stadium.

• Fire 2