Shilique Calhoun: "Dirty play" threw me off at Nebraska

Kernal

I think Nick Bahe has it correct on this one.

If I were the Head Coach there would be a ban on Social Media for my players. There literally can't be any good that comes from it.

Shilique is a great talent but comes across as a sissy here.

There's tons of entertainment that can come from it.

FIFY

If I were the Head Coach there would be a ban on Social Media for my players. There literally can't be any good that comes from it.

There's tons of good that can come from it.

Exactly what good, ever, has come from big time college football players commenting on Twitter or Facebook or any social media?

And I do mean "good", as in better than not having social media to use. I can think of numerous cases where a player would have been much better served by not using social media, but I cannot for the life of me come up with one case where it was a "good" thing. Even if there are a few cases of it actually being a good thing, the bad has to so far outweigh it that it would be silly. If I was a coach at a big time program, I would have to give serious consideration to banning it's use for my players.

And, how would you really manage that rule? Are you going to check every social media outlet and search each and every player? Students know how to make their profiles private, make fake names. Etc. While I agree it would be beneficial, it's also not realistic to be able to enforce.

There's tons of good that can come from it.

Exactly what good, ever, has come from big time college football players commenting on Twitter or Facebook or any social media?

And I do mean "good", as in better than not having social media to use. I can think of numerous cases where a player would have been much better served by not using social media, but I cannot for the life of me come up with one case where it was a "good" thing. Even if there are a few cases of it actually being a good thing, the bad has to so far outweigh it that it would be silly. If I was a coach at a big time program, I would have to give serious consideration to banning it's use for my players.

Hard to "prove" it, but social media is a huge social element in the lives of college kids. So first of all I'd say it helps teammates bond and interact and know each other better - we see players joking around with each other and finding camaraderie on twitter all the time. It also gives them the opportunity to actually learn how to operate in public spheres - keeping it in front of them and teaching them how to make good choices with it is helpful, taking it away is not helpful, because they don't learn anything. It also helps humanize them to a lot of people that might otherwise easily forget that these are actual kids going through the struggles of life that kids go through.

Michigan State's now graduated punter is a fantastic example of tons of good coming from a player's social media.

• Fire 1

Hard to "prove" it, but social media is a huge social element in the lives of college kids. So first of all I'd say it helps teammates bond and interact and know each other better - we see players joking around with each other and finding camaraderie on twitter all the time. It also gives them the opportunity to actually learn how to operate in public spheres - keeping it in front of them and teaching them how to make good choices with it is helpful, taking it away is not helpful, because they don't learn anything. It also helps humanize them to a lot of people that might otherwise easily forget that these are actual kids going through the struggles of life that kids go through.

Michigan State's now graduated punter is a fantastic example of tons of good coming from a player's social media.

I can see some of that but I still think the bad so far outweighs the good that it's just not worth it. If players want to develop camaraderie with each other, wouldn't it be much more beneficial to talk in person? I have seen it with my own kids and with their friends, kids today don't really know how to have an in person conversation anymore. Social media, texting, etc. has ruined basic communication skills. Listening to them talk on the phone (on those very rare occasions) is painful. Most examples of football players interactions on social media that we become aware of are usually for the wrong reasons.

I do need to disclose that I do not Twitter, at all. The only tweets I have ever seen have been posted/linked right here on HB. I also have all but given up on Facebook. I might check in there once a year now. Instagram, snapchat, .....I don't do those but my daughter does. Absolute waste of time and energy IMO. It just seems like when we hear about a player on Twitter, it's bad news. Think Kenny Bell, how many fans basically turned on him due to stupid sh#t he said in Tweets? IDK, maybe I'm finally just an old fuddy duddy.

BTW- I would agree that teaching players how to use social media properly would be much better than banning it's use altogether. But either schools are failing miserably at teaching them how to use it or some players just don't care. Was too many examples out there of things that a player just should have never posted.

FIFY

Remember this gem

18183tgkpy8a6png.png

FIFY

Remember this gem

18183tgkpy8a6png.png

That's for real? Not from The Onion?

FIFY

Remember this gem

18183tgkpy8a6png.png

That is for real. This tweet took on a meme life of it's own last year, similar to Jameis Winston's, "You say we skrong? We skrong den."

FIFY

Remember this gem

18183tgkpy8a6png.png

That is for real. This tweet took on a meme life of it's own last year, similar to Jameis Winston's, "You say we skrong? We skrong den."

Social media is just a reproductive ground for imbeciles. I don't know what my policy would be if I were a coach but I sure do love seeing other players make buffoons of themselves.