How excited are you for 06?

How excited are you for 06?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll bring the popcorn :) After 52 years you'd think I would be jaded but I AM JACKED UP FOR THIS SEASON TO START sorry just like every season. Still waiting for the SC tickets to show up in the mail then I will get really impatient just like Christmas Eve.

i'm like a kid waiting for christmas. the season can't come soon enough and i hope all the presents are gonna be really, really cool.

...And that's the way it should be. :clap

A little story, hope I don't bore you...but this is why I'm always excited.

My dad, who never drives when the weather is even remotely bad, took me to my first NU game when i was 10. In a snowstorm, 95 miles, and it was 10 degrees out. I knew he was scared to death, but he got tickets, and he wanted me to see the Big Red play. We ate lunch at the downtown McDonalds (obviously now gone) with a bunch of other frozen, die-hard Husker fans. Everyone was watching on TV how other teams wre faring. When you're invloved every year, you do that. We watched NU pound ISU. He told me, "it isn't IF we're gonna win, it's by how much. Tom's got these kids playing well." He told me that he wasn't surprised how expensive NU tickets were, since they were so much fun to watch. It was great seeing my dad like this, but I didn't understand it.

That is why, the two of us visiting Memorial Stadium on a dreary Saturday on Oct. 1st, 1994, when NU struggled to beat Wyoming, my dad was upset. He wasn't sure if the Huskers would make it too far with Berringer and without Frazier. He had his headphones on, of course, and was more excited than anyone I've ever seen. And I didn't understand it.

But then I had a chance to go with my buddy to the Orange Bowl. His relatives offered us a play to stay. NU had made it, and my friend had mowed lawns for ump-teen years for a small town season ticket holder who got offered bowl tickets, but didn't have the health to go. And wow...those tickets were BIG! Being a freshman in college, I had no money to go. But my dad gave me some gas money (yes, we drove) and told me to cheer for him. On the day of the game, he said, "I've got a good feeling about this game. My son is there, it's 80 degrees there, and it's 8 degrees here." I never realized how proud we was that I was there. Well, you all know the results. My buddy drove through Miami after the game, honking and yelling (me yelling as well) windows down, in an old Monte Carlo, attracting attention, and if I wasn't so high on life, I would've thought for sure we'd be shot and killed. We went to the mall the next day, wearing our championship shirts. We pissed EVERYONE IN MIAMI off. Some guy even offered to pay us to leave the state of Florida. We went to South Beach instead. But I don't know if I really understood it.

The next season, my dad took me to the Washington State game. Another dreary, miserable game. But my dad was pumped as usual. Talked about how others in town were jealous that he got great seats for the defending champion Huskers. And man, they were. My dad, who doesn't drink and doesn't like people drinking, put us in the middle of the student section. He was high-fiving my drunk collegiates like they were his best friend, even though NU struggled to win 35-21. But my dad said, "I think the Cougars played good. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Nebraska's toughest test. I loved his enthusiasm, but didn't really understand.

Wow, he was right. He called it while being there in person on NU's toughest test after showing that NU that season was the greatest college football team of all-time.

My dad isn't a hero, famous, wealthy, or popular. But he is all of those to me. I can't help but love the Huskers because of him. I could never ride the fence, or question my love for this team. I've had way too much of my life involved. Maybe that doesn't make sense to some of you. Maybe that's why some of you don't immerse yourself in this team. It's ok. This is a great country where everyone can have their own desires.

I will be attending NU vs. USC on Sat. Sept. 16th, 2006 with a group of my best friends, and granted this by a loving wife who lets me do this sort of thing. I hate that I can't attend it with my dad. And I hate that Sept. 30th, 1995 was the last game I ever got to see with my dad.

But I finally understand.

Go Big Red

holy poop on a stick... i didnt even think about this.. i was reading some articles and i took this little quote from one.

"For the first time in nearly five years, the Nebraska football team has been almost free of coaching changes, the exception being the hiring of Shawn Watson to replace Tight Ends Coach Scott Downing, who took the head coaching job at Northern Colorado."

thats like the first time in years nobody was fired is more accurate...