Props to the defense.

soup

The defense played very well tonight. I was honestly shocked. We still tried to give it away on offense with the incessant passing, but the defense continued to keep Rutgers from scoring. I hope this keeps up for Black Friday.

38 rushes vs. 21 passes = incessant passing?

Actual math doesn't fit the pitchforks and torches delusional fan narrative.

It's not math, it's a statistic. And statistics out of context are essentially a liar's tool.

• Fire 1

Here's the thing:

The coaches (should) know what the players can and cannot do and should call plays that match the ability of the team as well as exploit the weaknesses of the opposing team. Before the first interception, Tommy was 11/13 passing for 2 TDs. Against a weak secondary, the right call was probably to throw it, to keep exploiting what was already working. Tommy just sailed the throw a little bit.

Coming back out on the next possession throwing was probably not the right idea and Tommy threw another INT.

• Fire 1

The defense played very well tonight. I was honestly shocked. We still tried to give it away on offense with the incessant passing, but the defense continued to keep Rutgers from scoring. I hope this keeps up for Black Friday.

Yes, at times. Or just passing when we shouldn't have. When you're up 21-0 with 4 minutes left in the half and your run game is doing decently, run it on first down. We passed it on 1st down two series in a row IIRC and threw 2 interceptions.

If both those passes were completions rather than interceptions, nobody is complaining about them being "bad calls." It's absurd.

These kind of argmuments were the reason the term "Monday morning quarterback" was coined.

I liked how the defense was living in the Rutger's backfield. Hopefully we can do the same against Iowa. I have always been a fan of making the QB nervous.

I did too. Hopefully we can similarly pressure Beathard.

I'm a little worried about his running ability but he did get sacked a couple times.

I've only been able to watch Iowa once this year, so I haven't seen them operate much. But Beathard played well against us in the past. On the other hand, we played Taysom Hill pretty well in game one, so hopefully we can contain any QB runs since we'll know to look for them.

Yes, at times. Or just passing when we shouldn't have. When you're up 21-0 with 4 minutes left in the half and your run game is doing decently, run it on first down. We passed it on 1st down two series in a row IIRC and threw 2 interceptions.

If both those passes were completions rather than interceptions, nobody is complaining about them being "bad calls." It's absurd.

These kind of argmuments were the reason the term "Monday morning quarterback" was coined.

And your argument is an example of results oriented thinking.

Here's the thing:

The coaches (should) know what the players can and cannot do and should call plays that match the ability of the team as well as exploit the weaknesses of the opposing team. Before the first interception, Tommy was 11/13 passing for 2 TDs. Against a weak secondary, the right call was probably to throw it, to keep exploiting what was already working. Tommy just sailed the throw a little bit.

Coming back out on the next possession throwing was probably not the right idea and Tommy threw another INT.

The fact this is all we really have to debate shows how one sided this game quickly became.

And your argument is an example of results oriented thinking.

No, I have no opinon on the calls. Success doesn't make them the right call, any more than failure makes them wrong. I'm just pointing out, correctly, that their failure seems to be the reason they are being discussed.

And yet here I was screaming at the television when he started to throw asking "why the f#*k are we passing the ball right now". Followed by, "of course it's a f'ing interception.

Even if they are completions I would ask why we were throwing in that situation. They were bad calls, that were poorly executed. But they were still bad calls.