What happened?

I would hardly call Jano underutilized. He's been a revelation under this staff after being completely neglected by the previous one.

Hayseed, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility there were guys going through the motions while the pouted about Bo being gone that finally just said "eff it, this is what the situation is now, let's get behind Coach Riley and play some ball."

It is strange that you focused on Jano yet you ignored the main thing from my post and that is Ozigbo. I guess you have no answer but just wanted to attack the post anyway.

I would hardly call Jano underutilized. He's been a revelation under this staff after being completely neglected by the previous one.

Hayseed, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility there were guys going through the motions while the pouted about Bo being gone that finally just said "eff it, this is what the situation is now, let's get behind Coach Riley and play some ball."

It is strange that you focused on Jano yet you ignored the main thing from my post and that is Ozigbo. I guess you have no answer but just wanted to attack the post anyway.
He disagreed that Jano is underutilized. How the hell is that an "attack?" Did you stop to think that maybe he didn't reply about Ozigbo because he either agrees with you?

I think it's important to not say "they bought in" because it brings to mind it must have been everyone. I think Gerry was probably speaking for some, but definitely not all. It has been pointed out on HB that Gerry was one that was unhappy with Bo being ousted. I think he and a group of like minded others are the ones who were unhappy all year and decided to just go out and play and buy in.

You can't tell me that JW has been going through the motions. Same with Dedrick, Tommy, and some others.

I like the improvement. Going back to the OP, if you think about it, this team was always going to be a second half team. New coaches, new philosophy, new system, new playbook. It takes time to fully adopt and understand these. It just took longer than expected.

Part of what happened is we played Rutgers.

another part of it is we played Michigan State.

Yes, we are a .500 team that pulls an upset once in a while. Vintage Mike Riley. Exciting.
Can you just go away already?
If he bothers you that much just ignore him, but you dont have a right to tell others how to be a fan of the team.

Hmmmm...wait a minute...are you telling him how to be a fan of the team? :-) I do agree, the ignore function is great, except that when someone quotes a person you've put on ignore...you still get to occasionally see their soggy cornflakes....such is life...

Nope. Have a pointer on using ignore and called him on sh**ty behavior. Didn't say he couldn't be sh**ty, or that he's a bad fan, or that he should go to a different board where everyone is a sunshine pumper that wants to fellate Riley.

Simply stated a fact. He doesn't have the right to question someone's fandom.

10893d1393086592-whered-zombie-poll-thre

Its a message board. Your right he can have a piss poor attitude if he wants, just like anyone has the right to question someone's fandom as you put it.

This is very typical and happens often when leadership is forced to change in an organization. This even happens in a normal job when upper management changes. I have witnessed it myself.

It is basically why I hate coaching changes. But, when a change is made, usually if you don't get behind the new management, you are mostly hurting yourself.

Sounds like some players have learned that lesson.

I see my thread was deleted, I did not realize there was a parallel thread here. It is clear the players did not buy in and maybe there was a come to Jesus meeting and players were told to buy in or hit the bricks. Two left and the team gets better all of a sudden. It should have happened earlier but it now looks like we have a team that wants to compete. One has to wonder if the article calling out Gerry in a national publication had a bit to do with it, Maybe the players finally realized that it was clear to everyone that they were dogging it.

I'm sure that some of it was true, but people are blowing Nate's comments again, just like they did with the "high school defense comments" in fall camp. Like I said above, it's a myriad of issues that have lead to where we're at. Missed tackles and blown assignments are on the players. Throwing the ball 50 times with a backup QB on the road, against the worst rush D in conference, is on the coaches. Getting guys like Davie and Rose-Ivey back helps the depth. And Cavanaugh finally doing some shuffling on the offensive line to provide a spark has helped the run game.

It's going to take the players playing well, and the coaches maximizing the talent we have now, to win games.

Yeah, Nate's comments were taken out of context and twisted by some to take all of the blame off of the staff and throw players under the bus.

There are many reasons why we're on this 2 game "winning streak," as you correctly pointed out.

What happened was they put in the right players and for the most part called the right plays on offense....on defense they stopped playing prevent most of the time and actually took a chance on some creative blitzes, the db's actually looked for the ball, and everyone tackled well.

Bought in my ass. They've been waiting all year for the coaches to pull their head out.

So the players are lying??? Got it!

I see my thread was deleted, I did not realize there was a parallel thread here. It is clear the players did not buy in and maybe there was a come to Jesus meeting and players were told to buy in or hit the bricks. Two left and the team gets better all of a sudden. It should have happened earlier but it now looks like we have a team that wants to compete. One has to wonder if the article calling out Gerry in a national publication had a bit to do with it, Maybe the players finally realized that it was clear to everyone that they were dogging it.

I'm sure that some of it was true, but people are blowing Nate's comments again, just like they did with the "high school defense comments" in fall camp. Like I said above, it's a myriad of issues that have lead to where we're at. Missed tackles and blown assignments are on the players. Throwing the ball 50 times with a backup QB on the road, against the worst rush D in conference, is on the coaches. Getting guys like Davie and Rose-Ivey back helps the depth. And Cavanaugh finally doing some shuffling on the offensive line to provide a spark has helped the run game.

It's going to take the players playing well, and the coaches maximizing the talent we have now, to win games.

Yeah, Nate's comments were taken out of context and twisted by some to take all of the blame off of the staff and throw players under the bus.

There are many reasons why we're on this 2 game "winning streak," as you correctly pointed out.

There was no "taking out of context" it just doesn't fit your narrative of the coaches are bad, yet we find out how wrong you are from the players themselves. Stop the spin, it is not working.

There was no "taking out of context" it just doesn't fit your narrative of the coaches are bad, yet we find out how wrong you are from the players themselves. Stop the spin, it is not working.

That's exactly what certain posters are doing.

It's funny that in Shatels column on 11/15, Josh Banderas said, "You know, we loved coach Bo (Pelini). But there were no hard feelings. The players, we all bought into coach Riley and his staff."

Narrative and spin indeed, but not from me. Nor am I wrong.

• Fire 1

It's funny that in Shatels column on 11/15, Josh Banderas said, "You know, we loved coach Bo (Pelini). But there were no hard feelings. The players, we all bought into coach Riley and his staff."

You are good for a laugh, the players all bought in after a couple were kicked to the curb and one was called out in a national publication. We all got to see what finally buying in will do for you in the last 2 games.

Why don't these coaches use Ozigbo? He seems like an unstoppable force running with the football. Honestly, I do not understand the decisions made by these coaches. It seems like we could have easily won at least four more games if we committed to the run and it seems like we have some guys that can run. Why is it that guys like Ozigbo and Jano are under utilized? Is there something I am missing?

Maybe so, but we could have easily won 5 more games if the defense had just been average. The problem hasn't been the offense, it's averaging 33.6 ppg and 443.4 yards of offense.

You are good for a laugh, the players all bought in after a couple were kicked to the curb and one was called out in a national publication. We all got to see what finally buying in will do for you in the last 2 games.

Link to where Gerry stated that the players didn't buy into the staff this year, because Banderas is stating that they did?

Or are you calling Bando a liar?

As an fyi, the statement by Gerry that people are twisting to fit their own narrative, he was referencing buying into the 3 game season:

"...Gerry said of when the 3 game season plan originated. 'When you see something in everybody's eyes, you knew everybody was going to buy in and things were going to start clicking.'"

Neither player said that the team didn't buy into the staff. Neither. Not at all.

Gerry's statement was clear that the team was finally going to "buy in"! They clearly did and the results speak for themselves. Banderas was going to transfer if 408 was not kicked to the curb, so yes, he clearly bought in early. Not all did. Gerry was one of them and not until he was called out and maybe even embarrassed by the article on him, he decided he had no choice.

The coaches have done a hell of a job and should we beat Iowa, and I think we will, you hate for the coaching staff will have to be put in the closet. There were plenty of reasons to despise 408, I have seen none with this staff and lots to look forward to.

You mean a 3rd string offensive lineman and guy that was recruited solely by Mike Riley and wasn't even here for 90 days?

a01f74a338d7cc8d2eaeb00c15d21d82.500x469