What happened?

The first few games this team didn't seem together. It was more a collection of guys who were going through the motions. These past two games however, it seems they've finally come together. As grandpasknee put it "they've clicked." Is it coaching? Is it scheme? Is it the players finally having a epiphany? It's as if there's been an awakening of sorts. I'm sure there are still some things that have to be worked on, but the attitude and intensity sure seem to have changed.

It's the buy in factor. You go from Pelini, mr. F-the-world-everyone-hates-us-do-we-have-stick-together-and-hate-them-back, to Mr. Hip-hip-hurray Riley. Talk about an excorist type head spin

Last week Imani Cross was quoted as saying that he actually participated in the hip-hips and enjoyed it when previously he thought it was cheesy. It's a very different mentality and there was an adjustment period.

Gerry told the OWH that the players finally looked at each other and decided to buy in and play. That is a berry telling statement if you ask me.

It's intriguing, scary, confusing, head-scratching, and amusing to hear they "finally" bought into it. I'd like to know why it took them so long.

Does anyone remember how the captains were chosen? IIRC, Riley named the captains at the end of Spring camp, as they headed into summer conditioning. Were the players chosen by a team vote? Maybe the captains that were named weren't the best "leaders" on the team, and that's why there was a lack of buy-in. It's just a theory.

I think the change has much more to do with executing out of a running formation. Two back sets, tight ends, etc. Tommy is not the best passer, and we had so many three and outs, the defense was on the field and we didn't have a consistency. Now we are running out of a power formation, making their defense try to stop the running play, and there is a much stronger mix to our offense. We move better and the defense spends less time on the field.

• Fire 6

I think there is a ways to go before this team truly comes together and is united behind the Coach, program and schemes, etc. I am certain there are still any number of 'issues' percolating beneath the surface. All teams have some as it is inherent in the fact that there are only about 28 or so 'starters' and about 100 non-starters, many of which play only a handful of plays per game and some almost none at all. If you are riding the bench for a couple seasons, it takes a very special person with the tenancity and dedication that most people simply don't have, to stay and push hard. Those long practices, late night studying, struggles of school, family, and etc can take a toll on even the strongest of guys. 20 year olds are generally locked in the 'now' and rarely are focused on the patience and determination to work and strive and wait and work and strive and wait for their time to shine so to speak.

Riley will have accomplished a great deal in year one if he does indeed manage to find a way to unite and focus this team on a new way of doing things, a new scheme, new attitude and so on. The difference between Bo Pelini's way and Mike Riley's way is like night and day. The mentality is so dramatically different it is hard to imagine how they could be more different. Taking a couple months into the first season for the guys to finally 'get it' and 'buy in' is, in my view, not surprising. I am excited to think that the unity may be happening despite the many challenges and disappointing losses along the way. Criticism is hard, especially on the young.

Gerry told the OWH that the players finally looked at each other and decided to buy in and play. That is a berry telling statement if you ask me.

It's intriguing, scary, confusing, head-scratching, and amusing to hear they "finally" bought into it. I'd like to know why it took them so long.

Does anyone remember how the captains were chosen? IIRC, Riley named the captains at the end of Spring camp, as they headed into summer conditioning. Were the players chosen by a team vote? Maybe the captains that were named weren't the best "leaders" on the team, and that's why there was a lack of buy-in. It's just a theory.
I think it was a player vote, but I could be wrong

It was a player vote.