Offseason Changes

SECHusker

Granted my first is that SE gets fired and USC hires MR, but that likely won't happen so here are my two cents of things I would to see happen:

Coaching: MR needs to take playcalling back from Langsdorf. I don't care what you promised him to get here, but this is not the place for a person to be a first time playcaller. He didn't call your plays at OSU, he shouldn't call your plays here. Next season could very well be your last season at Nebraska. Use some of your 62 years of experience and call the right the plays. Also, fire Read, because why the hell not.

Philosophy: Figure out what you have to be at Nebraska. When things were good here, Nebraska ran the ball. We ran ball when you weren't expecting it, and we ran the ball when you were expecting it. We run the damn ball. Not this whimpish playcalling of go where the defense is not. This offense should always dictate the tone and its attitude on opponents. If you want to stay with this West Coast bs, that has already not worked here, fall on your damn sword now and leave.

Rotation: Stop with having no rhyme or reason of rotating RBs. The game should not be an experiment of who works at RB and who doesn't. If you see someone at RB settling in ride him out. Contra, if you see o-lineman that aren't cutting it don't be afraid to substitute or replace them. It took 9 or 10 games into the season for you to realize Kondolo wasn't working? Not to mention the other suspect lineman. That just can't happen.

QB: I'm not really sold on O'brien coming in and starting day one. He doesn't have the experience going up against college caliber athletes...yet. Granted as much as it hurts to say I don' think TA should be the starter either, he is too much of a gunslinger. He also just tries to much to be the hero. I really would like to see Darlington in action. During the spring game he made sound decisions, and went through his progressions without panicking. He may not have all the arm strength but when a majority of the pass game is a screen or pass in the flats, he can do it. He would be an effective game manager.

RB: Newby should not be the starter. He dances too much, is indecisive, and lacks vision. Not to mention he typically goes down on first contact. The starters in my mind should Wilbon, Taylor, then Devine. I think that order shows a commitment to the power running game. I understand that the Wilbon or Taylor may not be the best in pass protection, but who cares. They add a level of physicality in the run game that is not there. All we need is 4-5 yards consistently on running plays to create balance.

OL: This is where the post improvement needs to be had. No excuse not to start Farmer and Foster. Both should be good in establishing the run game. With an oline of Knevel, Farmer,Thurston, Foster, Gates there should be no problems running the ball.

I think the defense could be alright. They were at least progressing towards the end of the season.

***Side note about MR: This season has shown he was not the right hire for Nebraska. His staff has shown poor play-calling, game management, and personnel decisions. But he could become the right hire if really re-evaluates his system and coaching decisions during the off-season.

Thoughts?

Gotta say that the defense kept us in the game yesterday and has greatly improved over the last few games so we may be ok there. Having a quarterback who makes better choices would have kept us competative in that game. Defense does need some work for sure, but having that game changing quarterback is crucial.

Correct, the defense greatly improved as the year went and did keep is in the game till Gerry was ejected.

I thought they played pretty dang well yesterday against a top 5 team. Only giving up 250 yards sucks?

Gotta say that the defense kept us in the game yesterday and has greatly improved over the last few games so we may be ok there. Having a quarterback who makes better choices would have kept us competative in that game. Defense does need some work for sure, but having that game changing quarterback is crucial.

Correct, the defense greatly improved as the year went and did keep is in the game till Gerry was ejected.

I thought they played pretty dang well yesterday against a top 5 team. Only giving up 250 yards sucks?

it doesn't suck, but we didn't force turnovers and still gave up big plays.

it doesn't suck, but we didn't force turnovers and still gave up big plays.

The defense gave up 21 points while NU's offense only scored 20. I would say the defense didn't play well enough to win the game.

If we even had a Beathard, I think we have a one loss season at worst (well, if he's healthy at least, for Purdue).

Bring on the fab freshman, I don't care if we have to burn another 5-7 season to get him up to speed, hopefully it wouldn't even take that.

We just need someone who can throw 60% AND see more than one receiver on the field.