21 interceptions on the year...

Saunders

With the knowledge that there is a 99.9% chance of this staff being here for 1-2 more seasons, I want to blindly buy into a lot of the things Radar is saying, but those INT stats might have snapped me out of make-believe land where I just hope this staff is better here than they were at OSU. It's hard to believe.

How about we wait until POB gets here in January and see how the career of a real passing Qb goes. TA is just a run and chuck it qb. Manion had just 8 INT's last year under Riley.

Manion had an AY/A (a function of yds, TDs, and ints) that year of 6.9 yds

Tommy this year had an AY/A of 6.7 and 7.5 the year prior

Baker Mayfield was at 10.9 as a comparison

Stats like these are created to get a better overall picture. While turnovers are generally considered bad, there is actually a thing as too few interceptions. QBs with a relatively low interception rate are may not be taking enough chances to give their team the best opportunity to succeed. Interceptions should be balanced with the other side of the risk equation, which is what stats like average yards per attempt try to do.

With the knowledge that there is a 99.9% chance of this staff being here for 1-2 more seasons, I want to blindly buy into a lot of the things Radar is saying, but those INT stats might have snapped me out of make-believe land where I just hope this staff is better here than they were at OSU. It's hard to believe.

How about we wait until POB gets here in January and see how the career of a real passing Qb goes. TA is just a run and chuck it qb. Manion had just 8 INT's last year under Riley.

Stats like these are created to get a better overall picture. While turnovers are generally considered bad, there is actually a thing as too few interceptions. QBs with a relatively low interception rate are may not be taking enough chances to give their team the best opportunity to succeed. Interceptions should be balanced with the other side of the risk equation, which is what stats like average yards per attempt try to do.

interesting take, but Mayfield has much better talent around him to make those plays.

interesting take, but Mayfield has much better talent around him to make those plays.

This must be Armstrong's mindset as well.

This must be Armstrong's mindset as well.

Tommie looks like he just wants to throw it up.......

I've heard this before. And if the U would have listened to the fans, Osborne would have won no national championships at Nebraska.

Tommy Frazier & Eric Crouch made Oz look like a genius.
Tommie.

Crouch didn't play for Coach Osborne.

Any actual Husker fan knows this.

But anywho,

Trollolololololololol.......

• Fire 1

In defense of TA, I decided to look back at Riley's qb's over the years. I found some info that was surprising and a little troubling

2003 - 24 int - Derek Anderson

2004 - 17 int - Derek Anderson

2005 - 19 int - Matt Moore

2006 - 7 int - Matt Moore

2007 - 21 int - Sean Canfield/Lyle Moevao

2008 - 15 int - Sean Canfield/Lyle Moevao

2009 - 7 int - Sean Canfield

2010 - 11 int - Ryan Katz

2011 - 19 int - Ryan Katz/Sean Mannion

2012 - 16 int - Sean Mannion/Cody Vaz

2013 - 16 int - Sean Mannion/ Cody Vaz

2014 - 8 int - Sean Mannion

Looking at this list, TA's int total should not surprising. These were all pro style qb's many of whom are in the NFL. I think we should get used to seeing double digit int's as long as Riley is coach. Especially with first year starters...

Was just looking for these stats. Thanks for posting. So clearly not TA's fault, or at least not his sole fault.

This is an average staff continuing a long trend.

Personally, I would not have a problem seeing where things go, if people would quit blaming players.

Hmm. Looks to me like it's people seeing what they want to see... From looking at the stats, the "average" staff seemed to help cut down on the number of interceptions each year. I suppose that could be construed to be all because of the quarterback in spite of the coaches. I know that's how several people on here would spin it. Can we just cut the crap and admit it's not all on the coaches but is also on some of the completely stupid decisions made by TA? Unfortunately it's not just as easy as blaming one party. Everybody has some work to do.

LOL - this thread....

A - You can't look JUST at the interceptions. You have to include TDs as well.

B - From 2006-2008, Riley had one year where the QB threw for over 60% completion percentage (2006). He won at least 9 games in each season.

C - In each of those seasons, Riley had a 1,000 yard rusher.

D - He hasn't had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2010. That's the most disturbing stat of all for me.

In defense of TA, I decided to look back at Riley's qb's over the years. I found some info that was surprising and a little troubling

Looking at this list, TA's int total should not surprising. These were all pro style qb's many of whom are in the NFL. I think we should get used to seeing double digit int's as long as Riley is coach. Especially with first year starters...

Was just looking for these stats. Thanks for posting. So clearly not TA's fault, or at least not his sole fault.

Personally, I would not have a problem seeing where things go, if people would quit blaming players.

Then the player should quit throwing stupid interceptions. He thinks he has to make a play instead of throwing it away. Hopfully POB will put enough pressure on him to make him fear for his job. He might be inclined to make better decisions.
So you are blaming the players for the INT's at Oregon State, but who recruited, developed, and called the plays for those QB's who threw all those INT's at Oregon Statw. The one constant in all of those INT riddled years is Riley.

The qb at Oregon St threw 11 INT's this year, last year under Riley their qb threw 8, without Riley they increased 30%. Yup Riley's fault. That's a constant I guess. Ha!

Yup and they lost more games with the new offense! Conservative does not mean wins! When you look at that list only 1 QB (Moore) is in the NFL. You can not get NFL talent at the hole of football called Oregon St., so please stop the comparison. We had as many interceptions in the past with Tommy & T-Magic and excluding this year as Oregon St. and they threw 3 times as many passes.

Then the player should quit throwing stupid interceptions. He thinks he has to make a play instead of throwing it away. Hopfully POB will put enough pressure on him to make him fear for his job. He might be inclined to make better decisions.
So you are blaming the players for the INT's at Oregon State, but who recruited, developed, and called the plays for those QB's who threw all those INT's at Oregon Statw. The one constant in all of those INT riddled years is Riley.

The qb at Oregon St threw 11 INT's this year, last year under Riley their qb threw 8, without Riley they increased 30%. Yup Riley's fault. That's a constant I guess. Ha!

Yup and they lost more games with the new offense! Conservative does not mean wins! When you look at that list only 1 QB (Moore) is in the NFL. You can not get NFL talent at the hole of football called Oregon St., so please stop the comparison. We had as many interceptions in the past with Tommy & T-Magic and excluding this year as Oregon St. and they threw 3 times as many passes.

How many NFL caliber QBs has NU gotten during the last 30 years?

For all the hype around the freshman, it's far from clear that he's an NFL talent, either.

That was not the point, please read the posts. I was saying that you can not compare Oregon St. to Nebraska. To make it simple, Oregon St. has High School facilities and a University that failed to financially support the football program. To respond to your statement, Nebraska did not run an offense to support an NFL caliber QB, Reilly does & he will get a QB in here that can run his system.

That was not the point, please read the posts. I was saying that you can not compare Oregon St. to Nebraska. To make it simple, Oregon St. has High School facilities and a University that failed to financially support the football program. To respond to your statement, Nebraska did not run an offense to support an NFL caliber QB, Reilly does & he will get a QB in here that can run his system.

That's actually not true.

Riley was an average recruiter at OSU and an average recruiter at NU. I don't see talent dropping off, but I don't think talent will overcome the glaring deficiencies in his and his staff's approach to winning games.

I like Riley as a person. I find his offense boring as hell and unsuited for Nebraska (and CFB in general), but I like him. I hope he gets to a consistent .700 record and he's retained as long as he wants to be here.

But, I'm so sick and tired of people blaming players for average (below average) results from a a historically average/below average coaching staff. It's unfair and insulting to these players that are giving a ton of themselves to this program.

That's actually not true.

Riley was an average recruiter at OSU and an average recruiter at NU. I don't see talent dropping off, but I don't think talent will overcome the glaring deficiencies in his and his staff's approach to winning games.

I like Riley as a person. I find his offense boring as hell and unsuited for Nebraska (and CFB in general), but I like him. I hope he gets to a consistent .700 record and he's retained as long as he wants to be here.

But, I'm so sick and tired of people blaming players for average (below average) results from a a historically average/below average coaching staff. It's unfair and insulting to these players that are giving a ton of themselves to this program.

Have you been to Corvalis? It is a dump! I will agree on the players, but I do feel some are there just to finish their degrees. The talent is not here to run these new systems. Regardless, fans expect wins.