Why Mike Riley should be fired now

Husker Q

I was listening to ESPN on XM radio while driving tonight. The sports talk segment was about Les Miles...the fire or keep debate...one announcer and two callers referenced Nebraska and the debacle we've had for firing two 9 / something coaches. Look at the bigger picture. Coaches are going to be very hesitant to come here if we fire Riley after one year. And this year there are a lot of high profile openings where they aren't firing a 1st year or nine win coach. Winning is a huge part of our image...but it seems our national image has also be tarnished with the coaching carousel. To suggest firing Riley now is narrow minded and uninformed at best.

Riley is not the guy for Nebraska! BUT with all the coaching changes going on and with what Gramps posted only an idiot would fire MR right now.

I don't disagree with the identity fit, we should never have hired anyone that does not run the option in my opinion, but...

we cannot fire Riley after one season, it would be a bigger disaster than firing Solich (be kind, missing that option here). No coach in America, and I mean no coach in college or pros will ever come here if we fire a guy after one season after firing a guy that won nine games every year and that is a fact.

We are stuck with Riley, you all may as well get used to it and support Nebraska football, the alternative (never happen with our AD) would be the biggest mistake this university has ever made.

I don't disagree with the identity fit, we should never have hired anyone that does not run the option in my opinion, but...

we cannot fire Riley after one season, it would be a bigger disaster than firing Solich (be kind, missing that option here). No coach in America, and I mean no coach in college or pros will ever come here if we fire a guy after one season after firing a guy that won nine games every year and that is a fact.

Everyone knew that it was more than Bo Pelini's record as far as the reason he got fired. It's still on display up in Youngstown. Everyone also knows Mike Riley took a team that won 9 games prior and had a pretty good amount of experience returning and then proceeded to go 5-7. Please stop with the 'no coach in America/the World/the Galaxy' won't come here b.s. It's not that cut and dried and most people who can halfway read between the lines know that.

We're stuck with him though. As with Pelini it is only a matter of time. The sooner the better but with the admin we have it won't be nearly fast enough.

Not sure what is BS about it, just put yourself in the shoes of a coach that Nebraska wants to hire. Do you go there after seeing them fire a nine win coach and then the very next guy only gets one year? Maybe some no-name comes here but I guarantee you that no elite coach would want to put himself in that position.

Like I said, if I were the AD, Riley wouldn't even be here today and we wouldn't be having this conversation but alas.... ;)

Another crap thread about something that will not happen and should not happen. The team improved from start to finish. The coaching is good. The recruiting is better than it has been in years.

Riley will be here for a long time.

More turnovers

More flags (maybe)

More losses

1-5 in division

so what is your point but posting jibberish?

More TO's than last year. (Even when we had 35 TO's in 2012, our margin was -12 vs -13 now)

Incredibly penalized this year. (88 this year)

Losing record- 1st home opener loss in over 30 years (poor clock management), 1st home losing season EVER, worst November ever, 1-5 in our division, a loss to Purdue (their first B1G win in 3 years IIRC)

I don't think Riley will be fired. My question for you, are you defending not firing him or do you think he is a good coach. Defending not firing I can understand. I don't necessarily agree, but defending him as a good coach is crazy IMO.... Given his history as a coach and the first year here.

Worst November ever? We went 2-1. Worst record entering November, yes.

We lost 7 games because we have NO DRAFTABLE SENIORS!!!! Get a clue people. The boorish prick that was fired did a piss poor job of recruiting. Riley has to rebuild the talent level to win on a consistant basis.

So if Riley has elite NFL talent...he can win more than 5 games?

Isn't that kind of true of all coaches?

If anyone has the time...do a breakdown of all of Riley's teams at OSU to see how he did when he had NFL players on his roster.

• Fire 1

We lost 7 games because we have NO DRAFTABLE SENIORS!!!! Get a clue people. The boorish prick that was fired did a piss poor job of recruiting. Riley has to rebuild the talent level to win on a consistant basis.

Part of the reason why Saban wins a lot of games every year.

• Fire 1

If anyone has the time...do a breakdown of all of Riley's teams at OSU to see how he did when he had NFL players on his roster.

You might want to place a call to a Mr. B. Switzer, he can fill you in.

You might want to place a call to a Mr. B. Switzer, he can fill you in.

Didn't he have a 3rd-4th round QB the other year? How did he do that year?