Nebraska Wide Receiver Brandon Reilly Leaves No Tip for Waiter Who Bashes the Cornhuskers Football Team

GSG

From what I've read, the problem most people have isn't that he didn't leave a tip, but rather that he expected the server to know who he was, and why should anyone recognize a WR on a 5-7 football team.

I never really thought about that.

I don't think he expected the guy to know who HE was rather than it was his way of saying "think before you speak", you never know who's listening...

• Fire 1

So football related threads get moved to "other sports" to die because they are related to another team, but three pages of debate on proper tipping stay here for this long? "Rules are rules" sure, but maybe we could review the rule and consider allowing football related threads to stay in the main forum and BS like this, that although related to the team, has actually nothing to do with football at all...

No one has posted the reservoir dogs clip yet?

Funny that just popped into my head as I was reading this.

If the cost of providing the service was included in the price of food, it would be different. But it's not (except for some very minimal amount). If you want to eat food but not pay for service, you should eat at a place that doesn't provide service, like Broncos (mmmm, now I'm hungry).

And if you don't want to hear people complain about your crappy 5-7 team, don't go out in public. Up here in MN nobody really even cares about their own crappy 5-7 team.

Has anyone figured out what restaurant it was? I'd like to go give Trey a big tip.

• Fire 1

Funny the differing opinions on this. IMO, doing your job does not justify a tip. No. Doing your job very well, then yes. Just because you are a waiter/waitress whatever, does not qualify you for a tip. Reward for disrespect or bad service? nope. I don't care if that's how they make their living. They chose the job, period. People don't deserve rewards for every little thing, just like kids don't. That's what has gotten society to where it's at today. Lower work ethic because of participation trophies, tips just to tip, happy feel good crap. Do the job well and you will be rewarded! Just like in sports! And trashing a team or anything like that is not something a waiter should be discussing outloud! Almost every job you have to be careful what you say and where/when. It's no different. That's disrespect. I wouldn't have tipped the guy either. Not a penny.

Damn, Mr. Pink....

• Fire 1

BR may think he got the last laugh; but doesn't he now run the risk of getting spit in his food or something next time he goes out. It's always a good policy to be really nice to people who handle the food you're going to eat.

Some of the stories I have been told from people who worked within the industry has pretty much left Subway as my only option when dining out.

I discovered this board this year and I've been following it as a guest and decided to finally make a profile. I guess this topic is what spurred me to join this craziness.

First, I've worked in payroll for years for small restaurants that would outsource their payrolls. No waiter/waitress makes less than minimum wage EVER. They can work 40 hours a week, make no tips, and still get paid minimum wage. It's the employer's responsibility to meet the difference between the $2.13/hr they make and the minimum wage (currently $8/hr but moving to $9/hr soon).

Because of this experience, I do not automatically tip no matter how the server performed. I tip 15-18% if the service was what I expected and then go more/less depending on how much better or worse they performed.

I agree with the choice that BR didn't provide a tip for someone who insulted him (with the truth). However, I don't believe that he should go bragging on social media about it and he ended up getting his just desserts.

Citation for tipped minimum wage law: http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/q-a.htm (read the 2nd Q&A)

• Fire 2

Funny the differing opinions on this. IMO, doing your job does not justify a tip. No. Doing your job very well, then yes. Just because you are a waiter/waitress whatever, does not qualify you for a tip. Reward for disrespect or bad service? nope. I don't care if that's how they make their living. They chose the job, period. People don't deserve rewards for every little thing, just like kids don't. That's what has gotten society to where it's at today. Lower work ethic because of participation trophies, tips just to tip, happy feel good crap. Do the job well and you will be rewarded! Just like in sports! And trashing a team or anything like that is not something a waiter should be discussing outloud! Almost every job you have to be careful what you say and where/when. It's no different. That's disrespect. I wouldn't have tipped the guy either. Not a penny.

OK,

Although this isn't really relevant to the BR situation, I have to correct you .

Tipping is not a "surprise bonus" for being a super-dooper exceptional server. In America certain professions are exempt from minimum wage laws because there is an expectation of some level of tipping. People would not take those jobs at those wages without that expectation.

I'm not saying that you should always tip. Poor service deserves poor tipping. The whole point is to provide an incentive for exceptional service. That being said, 15% is a standard amount for tipping in America for professions in which they are allowed to pay below minimum wage. That means that if the service is good (not blow-your-mind excellent), you are obliged to give somewhere near 15%.

If you routinely give less than that, you should reconsider the restaurants you frequent. You are obviously unhappy with their service. Either that or you are too cheap to be eating at sit-down restaurants.

Sure, I get that. But actually you're saying the same thing I meant! I agree, if service is acceptable,good, great, you should tip accordingly. I don't see it as a bonus. However, if you're not satisfied for whatever reason, then it is perfectly acceptable to not tip! In this case, he was offended by something said out loud that shouldn't have been and therefore chose not to tip. Good on him! Now, posting it on social media, dumb.

BR may think he got the last laugh; but doesn't he now run the risk of getting spit in his food or something next time he goes out. It's always a good policy to be really nice to people who handle the food you're going to eat.

That's one of the reasons I tend to tip well. We go out to eat a lot, and it's usually the same 8-10 places. Staff and servers that remember you as a good tipper makes for more enjoyable dining experiences. That and feel bad that they had to deal with and pick up after my 3 kids, all under the age of 4.

I discovered this board this year and I've been following it as a guest and decided to finally make a profile. I guess this topic is what spurred me to join this craziness.

First, I've worked in payroll for years for small restaurants that would outsource their payrolls. No waiter/waitress makes less than minimum wage EVER. They can work 40 hours a week, make no tips, and still get paid minimum wage. It's the employer's responsibility to meet the difference between the $2.13/hr they make and the minimum wage (currently $8/hr but moving to $9/hr soon).

Because of this experience, I do not automatically tip no matter how the server performed. I tip 15-18% if the service was what I expected and then go more/less depending on how much better or worse they performed.

I agree with the choice that BR didn't provide a tip for someone who insulted him (with the truth). However, I don't believe that he should go bragging on social media about it and he ended up getting his just desserts.

Citation for tipped minimum wage law: http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/q-a.htm (read the 2nd Q&A)

Welcome to the board! I'm glad this topic pissed you off enough to start posting. The same story might be said for many of us here...

And thanks for the link! The employer having to pay the difference up to minimum wage is something I hadn't realized. Still. There are a lot of minimum wage jobs that suck less than the crap that waitresses/ waiters have to put up with. If tipping was ended or banned (as it is in some parts of the world) you know as well as I do that servers at restaurants would have to be paid better than minimum wage. And the prices at restaurants would reflect the higher cost of doing business.

Back to the BR topic, I think most of us posting here actually agree on the fact that it was OK for him to not tip, dumb of him to post the picture. The thing I really hate is when people who have never worked for tips think that they shouldn't EVER have to tip, unless they get some super-special over-the-top service. Like Mr Pink. I have seen this more with wealthy people than poor, in my experience. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.