Nebraska Wide Receiver Brandon Reilly Leaves No Tip for Waiter Who Bashes the Cornhuskers Football Team

GSG

I guess I'm saying that the person at MINIMUM:

1. Greeted you

2. Took your order

3. Brought out your food.

That deserves a tip.

If they:

1. Didn't refill beverages

2. Didn't clear finished plates

3. Were generally rude and off putting

4. Completely ignored repeated requests for items

Then the tip should reflect that.

If they are offensive, threatening, or unclean in a way that threatens the health of the meal, then a word w the manager and zero tip would be appropriate.

I travel all over the western world and the worst service you can receive is from a country or restaurant that the server doesn't rely on tips. America has the best service, in general, because they are rewarded for MINIMUM effort. Anything above that, is gravy. Cheap ass patrons and people who are sh**ty customers don't even know it, and they are crappy tippers despite above avg service.

It sounds like to me that BR was having a conversation with the waiter and the waiter called out, correctly, that the Huskers stink this year. But he still took his order, brought the food, etc...BR acted like a big baby, in my opinion.

If you've never served other people you should try it for a few weeks. It'll change your whole perspective on sh#t.

Kinda hard to know whether his not leaving a tip is a bad move here when we didn't hear what the waitress said, or how the team was brought up in the conversation. It's an easy/popular topic for a waitress to talk about if she wants to make chit chat. It kinda depends on the place too. Like if she was at a sports themed restaurant. Maybe she said something like "I wish the Huskers had been better this week. The Iowa game was really depressing" which would not deserve the reaction she got. If she said something like "Tommy Armstrong really sucks. I hope they let someone else to play QB next year" then that's different.

Kinda hard to know whether his not leaving a tip is a bad move here when we didn't hear what the waitress said, or how the team was brought up in the conversation. It's an easy/popular topic for a waitress to talk about if she wants to make chit chat. It kinda depends on the place too. Like if she was at a sports themed restaurant. Maybe she said something like "I wish the Huskers had been better this week. The Iowa game was really depressing" which would not deserve the reaction she got. If she said something like "Tommy Armstrong really sucks. I hope they let someone else to play QB next year" then that's different.

Just so you know, the name of the server on the receipt says "Trey". So probably a waiter. not waitress.

All in the details

Funny the differing opinions on this. IMO, doing your job does not justify a tip. No. Doing your job very well, then yes. Just because you are a waiter/waitress whatever, does not qualify you for a tip. Reward for disrespect or bad service? nope. I don't care if that's how they make their living. They chose the job, period. People don't deserve rewards for every little thing, just like kids don't. That's what has gotten society to where it's at today. Lower work ethic because of participation trophies, tips just to tip, happy feel good crap. Do the job well and you will be rewarded! Just like in sports! And trashing a team or anything like that is not something a waiter should be discussing outloud! Almost every job you have to be careful what you say and where/when. It's no different. That's disrespect. I wouldn't have tipped the guy either. Not a penny.

Funny the differing opinions on this. IMO, doing your job does not justify a tip. No. Doing your job very well, then yes. Just because you are a waiter/waitress whatever, does not qualify you for a tip. Reward for disrespect or bad service? nope. I don't care if that's how they make their living. They chose the job, period. People don't deserve rewards for every little thing, just like kids don't. That's what has gotten society to where it's at today. Lower work ethic because of participation trophies, tips just to tip, happy feel good crap. Do the job well and you will be rewarded! Just like in sports! And trashing a team or anything like that is not something a waiter should be discussing outloud! Almost every job you have to be careful what you say and where/when. It's no different. That's disrespect. I wouldn't have tipped the guy either. Not a penny.

I totally get what you are saying...but I hope he got a 100 dollar tip from the next table because he was making fun of the team.

So that makes Brandon Reilly the whole football team, coaching staff, and athletic department then? It's amazing he has time to eat out with all that responsibility you've put on his shoulders.

Reilly took all of that on when he shared his lack of tip with the world on behalf of the entire Nebraska Cornhuskers football team and become the heart and soul of it.

Now whether the whole Cornhusker team wants to identify with Reilly's behavior, I guess they don't get a say in the matter...same as Armstrong and Westerkamp running "The Love Shack" or Lewis taunting fans or whatever else we have now in place of players like Abdullah's and Burkhead's off the field demeanors.

picard-facepalm-face-palm-590x330.jpg

Picard has been facepalming so much on these forums as of late, one would think we were a Star Trek: TNG site.

• Fire 1

Anyone who has NEVER left a tip has never bartended or waited tables before. BR not tipping because what was said, not was brought to his table shows VERY thin skin. He coulda left $5 and said a flippant comment as he was walking out the door. Basically been the bigger person.

My wife did, and she worked at a pretty upscale restaurant though college.

OK,

Although this isn't really relevant to the BR situation, I have to correct you .

Tipping is not a "surprise bonus" for being a super-dooper exceptional server. In America certain professions are exempt from minimum wage laws because there is an expectation of some level of tipping. People would not take those jobs at those wages without that expectation.

I'm not saying that you should always tip. Poor service deserves poor tipping. The whole point is to provide an incentive for exceptional service. That being said, 15% is a standard amount for tipping in America for professions in which they are allowed to pay below minimum wage. That means that if the service is good (not blow-your-mind excellent), you are obliged to give somewhere near 15%.

If you routinely give less than that, you should reconsider the restaurants you frequent. You are obviously unhappy with their service. Either that or you are too cheap to be eating at sit-down restaurants.

• Fire 1

Although this isn't really relevant to the BR situation, I have to correct you .

Tipping is not a "surprise bonus" for being a super-dooper exceptional server. In America certain professions are exempt from minimum wage laws because there is an expectation of some level of tipping. People would not take those jobs at those wages without that expectation.

I'm not saying that you should always tip. Poor service deserves poor tipping. The whole point is to provide an incentive for exceptional service. That being said, 15% is a standard amount for tipping in America for professions in which they are allowed to pay below minimum wage. That means that if the service is good (not blow-your-mind excellent), you are obliged to give somewhere near 15%.

If you routinely give less than that, you should reconsider the restaurants you frequent. You are obviously unhappy with their service. Either that or you are too cheap to be eating at sit-down restaurants.

Not my problem. Honestly. I didn't vote for any law, or support any candidate who created any law, that created such exemptions. Further, even though such laws are on the books, those laws do not constitute a tax or in any way create an expectation of the receiver of waitery services that they must tip.

Tipping is, and always has been, a gratuity. By that definition it is NOT an expectation, and it is NOT something I am forced to do. If I feel there was crap service, I am well within legal rights not to tip.

It is not the consumer's problem that employers conspire with lawmakers to deny certain positions adequate wages. Just as it is not my problem that it is in McDonald's' business plan to pay their employees so little that they must rely on government subsidence.

I am not required to tip and it is a crock that wait staff are paid so little that I am expected to tip so they can survive.

Having said that, I have never not left a tip, and I generally tip 25%. But then, I generally get excellent service.

• Fire 1