Nebraska Wide Receiver Brandon Reilly Leaves No Tip for Waiter Who Bashes the Cornhuskers Football Team

GSG

In a service or sales position, always a good idea to stay fairly neutral on a topic until you gauge how your customer feels about it.

I agree, but not tipping is a total bag move. I start at 20% as a guide line, if service is subpar I'll lower it accordingly, if it's better than average I'll raise it accordingly.

I think I've not left a tip maybe twice in my life, and those were extreme circumstances, such as being personally insulted by the waiter. Hell, I've had service so bad that the manager comped the tab, yet I still tipped the server.

I pretty much start my tip at 15 percent regardless and then adjust accordingly. I've never had truly horrendous service but I have tipped somebody only 50 cents or a dollar for what I thought was very unacceptable work for a variety of reasons. But, for the most part, I even give average waiters good tips.

That said, this is one of those things I wish Reilly (and others like him) just wouldn't take to social media about. I know it's what younger people do these days but it just creates a crap storm and, at least to me, comes from a place of 'oh, look how funny I am because my waiter bad-mouthed my team!'

Just get over it, bud. You made your point with your tip. Didn't need to further the shame on Twitter. There are, quite literally, thousands of people/fans who feel just like him.

• Fire 2

In a service or sales position, always a good idea to stay fairly neutral on a topic until you gauge how your customer feels about it.

I agree, but not tipping is a total bag move. I start at 20% as a guide line, if service is subpar I'll lower it accordingly, if it's better than average I'll raise it accordingly.

I think I've not left a tip maybe twice in my life, and those were extreme circumstances, such as being personally insulted by the waiter. Hell, I've had service so bad that the manager comped the tab, yet I still tipped the server.

I do agree 74, with family experience in the service area, we tend to tip pretty well. I base off the 20% also, and then go from there. I don't know if I've ever not left anything, but it's possible. Trying to put myself in Reilly's shoes, I don't know if I could be a big enough person to set aside what is essentially a personal (although unintentional) insult and tip soley based on the service.

That's why I said what I did. As as a server, you have to be so careful to not insult or piss off your customer, because your livlihood is at their whim.

I would have shamed that a-hole server by tweeting his name AND the restaurant he worked at.

Edit. His name is Trey. You had it coming douche.

He's a douche because he shared his opinion of the football team with a patron. He might be guilty of bad judgement in who he shared it with, but it didn't sound like his opinions were a lot different than a bunch of them on here.

I would have shamed that a-hole server by tweeting his name AND the restaurant he worked at.

Edit. His name is Trey. You had it coming douche.

He's a douche because he shared his opinion of the football team with a patron. He might be guilty of bad judgement in who he shared it with, but it didn't sound like his opinions were a lot different than a bunch of them on here.

I'm not sure you made a validating point.

But But But he was not anonymous, setting behind a key board trashing the team, the players and the staff. That is just perfectly fine, we all know that. He actually had the balls to say it in front of a team member, most likely unknown. He only voiced what the loudest on this board do daily, hourly and sometime ever other minute.

The kid has every right to say what he thinks about the team. Reily has the right to tip or not tip.

I have received terrible service before, and left a penny. Normally I double the tax and if the service is good, add a little extra.

I see no problem with it. Thumbs up to both for being honest.

NO! If he fights for his country, he is not a kid anymore. Those living in free housing, playing a game, and getting a free education are not adults at 18 or even 25. I know there are exceptions, but this group (IE college football players) are treated special their whole lives, entitled fits them quite well. Some great kids in that group, but as a group, meaning all of college football, I would not consider them adults.

• Fire 1