The Bell’s Already Rung on Tommy Armstrong Versus Patrick O’Brien

eightlaces

POB probably won't be Josh Rosen, but prime example of a true freshman QB coming in and playing pretty solid. POB will make some little plays with his feet as well, but will look more like Beathard running than TA. Armstrong's spins out of the pocket also got him in trouble some of the times where he lost track of WRs or fell in the DEs lap.

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball. A few more completions and 7 less INTs would have won us an extra 2-3 games this season.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

Husker fans bitched, whined, complained and begged for Ozborne to throw the ball more. Now the most knowledgeable fans in college football want Nebraska to run the ball more. Just goes to show that there are more stupid Nebraska fans than knowledgeable fans. Plenty post here.

I'm about fed up with your ass kissing Riley at all costs BS. I, and most posters hereabouts, can acknowledge both sides of the coin. Yes, Tommy and some of the players had their shortcomings but, if you can't see where Langsdorf and Riley and Banker also failed with game management and play calling issues, you might need to re-watch our games and get a little smarter yourself. Your shtick is getting old.

It took 9 games for the players to buy in, when they did, Nebraska played pretty well. The coaches did the best they could until that happened. I get plenty tired of the Nebraska staff and administration haters like you. To bad you don't like the team you claim to be a fan of instead of spewing hate and discontent about them.

Well, that shows what you know......not much. I like Riley. I like Langsdorf. I like Eichorst. I don't hate them. But I don't blindly worship every step they take and I can recognize the mistakes they made. What's your excuse?

• Fire 1

POB probably won't be Josh Rosen, but prime example of a true freshman QB coming in and playing pretty solid. POB will make some little plays with his feet as well, but will look more like Beathard running than TA. Armstrong's spins out of the pocket also got him in trouble some of the times where he lost track of WRs or fell in the DEs lap.

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball. A few more completions and 7 less INTs would have won us an extra 2-3 games this season.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

Husker fans bitched, whined, complained and begged for Ozborne to throw the ball more. Now the most knowledgeable fans in college football want Nebraska to run the ball more. Just goes to show that there are more stupid Nebraska fans than knowledgeable fans. Plenty post here.

I'm about fed up with your ass kissing Riley at all costs BS. I, and most posters hereabouts, can acknowledge both sides of the coin. Yes, Tommy and some of the players had their shortcomings but, if you can't see where Langsdorf and Riley and Banker also failed with game management and play calling issues, you might need to re-watch our games and get a little smarter yourself. Your shtick is getting old.

It took 9 games for the players to buy in, when they did, Nebraska played pretty well. The coaches did the best they could until that happened. I get plenty tired of the Nebraska staff and administration haters like you. To bad you don't like the team you claim to be a fan of instead of spewing hate and discontent about them.

Well, that shows what you know......not much. I like Riley. I like Langsdorf. I like Eichorst. I don't hate them. But I don't blindly worship every step they take and I can recognize the mistakes they made. What's your excuse?

Don't need an excuse, I see the progress they have made with the talent they have had to work with. The bitchers like you and others I have no use for. If they have failed in 4 years, then I will be there to hold their feet to the fire. I will not call for them to be fired after 3 games like many of the dolts that post here.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

Don't need an excuse, I see the progress they have made with the talent they have had to work with. The bitchers like you and others I have no use for. If they have failed in 4 years, then I will be there to hold their feet to the fire. I will not call for them to be fired after 3 games like many of the dolts that post here.

I put about 20 on my ignore list for that very thing. They never gave the new staff a chance. Many weren't going to be happy with the Riley hire regardless. That ain't me. I was excited to see what they could do and I wanted to give them a couple years to prove it on the field. But yeah, my time line got severely shortened when I saw some of the stupid things they did that had absolutely nothing to do with "player buy in" or "existing skill level" or "having their guys". You don't need those things to call a f'ing run play at the right time. You don't need those things to manage the clock. Fact is, there is a reason this staff is flirting around .500 for their career. I didn't want to believe that but I watched what they did this year. It ain't going to change. I am fully convinced of that. When you've been coaching that long and can't grind out the clock, are afraid to call a run play on 3rd and 2 in a 4 down situation, actually get worse on penalties than Pelini's teams, well there is a problem that player buy in won't fix. If it took the players 9 games to "buy in", and that's what your prefacing your whole theory on, then please explain what happened in that Iowa game. Iowa was a solid, steady team but they sure as hell aren't any top 5 juggernaut. Sure Tommy screwed the pooch in that game and that didn't help. So your position is to call people, who hold the staff responsible for their mistakes, haters and claim we don't like this team? While you throw player after player under the bus and walk around with your head up your ass when it comes to the mistakes the coaches obviously made? That's pure bullsh!t. You go ahead and give em 4 years. I'll tell ya right now, they aren't going to last that long unless there are a lot more people like you, in positions that matter, that will completely ignore how they contributed to about 5 of those 7 losses.

I pretty much cleared out my ignore list but I guess I've got one to add to it from the othe sidea of the fence. It is the perfect device for people that don't know what the f#*k they're talking about. You'll fit nicely.

What I mean there is they have this rare true freshman QB who can play right away, and they've gone 8-4. If POB turns out to be just as ready (I'd be surprised, but don't count it out) then that seems like a similar type of season we'd be in store for. Or if Tommy continues to make mistakes like a freshman.

Hence, I think our only shot at a breakthrough '16 is Tommy turning it up a few notches.

Not sure how rare this actually is. A listing of the top QBs this year by passing yards per game has six freshmen in the Top 40 and 12 in the Top 100.

And Nebraska was beaten by a couple freshmen QBs this year.

I heard from a very good source with very close connections to POB, that TA is getting Dailey-ed (knocked down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart) and the job has already been handed to POB.

Barring injury, POB will be your starter next season. TA will likely transfer after spring.

Just like when a "very good source" claimed Riley was getting fired mid-season?

The wailing and gnashing of teeth when the true frosh QB isn't some miracle worker will be deafening.

I don't know anything about the source claiming Riley would be fired mid-season, except he was wrong!

I think this is the first time I've posted anything from any source. I know it's the first time I've posted from this source, but there's no one I would believe more unless I heard it directly from Langsdorf or Riley.

Take a look at the rumorville forum and see how many sources have been even remotely close to accurate over the years. Posters with "sources" are very seldom correct, so I've learned to take them with an enormous grain of salt. Good luck with your insider's claim.

I don't have anything vested in it. Personally, if it's true it just shows again how incompetent these coaches are. If they are annointing a kid as starter before he's ever even seen a practice field with college players, I have even less respect for them than I did before, if that's even possible.

So you're not vested in it, have no idea if it's true, but you're ready to have even less respect for the coaches than you did before. Oy.

I think they'll give Patrick O'Brien every chance to prove himself in camp, but come fall if he's not better than Tommy Armstrong they won't let him start.

Just like every other football coach would do, and every fan would want.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

I put about 20 on my ignore list for that very thing. They never gave the new staff a chance. Many weren't going to be happy with the Riley hire regardless. That ain't me. I was excited to see what they could do and I wanted to give them a couple years to prove it on the field. But yeah, my time line got severely shortened when I saw some of the stupid things they did that had absolutely nothing to do with "player buy in" or "existing skill level" or "having their guys". You don't need those things to call a f'ing run play at the right time. You don't need those things to manage the clock. Fact is, there is a reason this staff is flirting around .500 for their career. I didn't want to believe that but I watched what they did this year. It ain't going to change. I am fully convinced of that. When you've been coaching that long and can't grind out the clock, are afraid to call a run play on 3rd and 2 in a 4 down situation, actually get worse on penalties than Pelini's teams, well there is a problem that player buy in won't fix. If it took the players 9 games to "buy in", and that's what your prefacing your whole theory on, then please explain what happened in that Iowa game. Iowa was a solid, steady team but they sure as hell aren't any top 5 juggernaut. Sure Tommy screwed the pooch in that game and that didn't help. So your position is to call people, who hold the staff responsible for their mistakes, haters and claim we don't like this team? While you throw player after player under the bus and walk around with your head up your ass when it comes to the mistakes the coaches obviously made? That's pure bullsh!t. You go ahead and give em 4 years. I'll tell ya right now, they aren't going to last that long unless there are a lot more people like you, in positions that matter, that will completely ignore how they contributed to about 5 of those 7 losses.

I pretty much cleared out my ignore list but I guess I've got one to add to it from the othe sidea of the fence. It is the perfect device for people that don't know what the f#*k they're talking about. You'll fit nicely.

I hope you get help with your anger issues and disillusional thinking, please put me on ignore

Not sure how rare this actually is. A listing of the top QBs this year by passing yards per game has six freshmen in the Top 40 and 12 in the Top 100.

And Nebraska was beaten by a couple freshmen QBs this year.

True freshmen, or redshirt freshmen?

I thought that most QBs redshirt a year. Guys who show up and are able to win the starting job right away are not as common. And when they do, I'd say an 8-4 type of season (whether or not their numbers are impressive) as they develop is a more common expectation than a serious contender.