Zack Darlington status as a contributor

Redux

I think this is just a situation they're continuing to monitor very, very carefully. I doubt there will ever be definitive answers until it's effectively over. There's a difference between monitoring him and having him go live fire as a fulltime QB1, or even QB2 in fall camp. Didn't he even take a handful of game snaps at one point? That's probably a smallish risk in comparison to starting.

I don't think they're giving him all these looks just because, but it has always felt like this is just going to wind up with the inevitable decision at some point. Which might be for the best. Keep that guy safe.

So I keep getting into the debate of what ZD's actual status is. I have been on both sides of the fence at one point. Some say he is cleared to play and others say he is still technically not cleared for any contact.

I know he was green shirt for 2014 spring game but the green shirt came off during fall camp and he had no issues with contact according to the article I read. In 2015 he was playing in spring game, no green shirt and he was listed on the depth chart.

So whered does he stand? I was still under the impression that we were honoring his scholarship and allowing him to contribute in practice, but had no real intentions of actually putting him on the field due to concerns over his concussion history.

Any real information would be appreciated.

I've heard from "reliable sources" that he is still having memory loss issues and may accept a medical hardship.
I've also heard of lingering issues.

What is a medical hardship anyway? He's already taken a redshirt year. Can he get some other type of scholarship if he doesn't play anymore? Would it count towards our scholarship limit?

He would stay on scholarship, but it would not count against the 85 limit.

$EC does it all the time to weed out non contributors.

Medical hardship allows for another year to play. Typically, if somebody plays less than 20% (I think) of the season, they can be awarded a medical hardship and gain another year of eligibility.

After the spring game ZD was the QB I was most excited about. Looked poised in the pocket and made smart decisions. Granted he was going against the C team Defense, but looked like a real quarterback. One would think if there were concussion issues he would already be on a med hard ship scholly. Therefore, I believe he is fair game and wouldn't be surprised if he bridges the gap between TA and POB and does a great job.

GBR

If he still has speech issues from prior concussions, it sounds like he is not fully healed. As much as we want him to play (he looked great in the SG), we don't want him to get re-injured. Hopefully this kid heals 100% first, then maybe we can think about him in a real game. As far as the scholarship...I'd rather honor his spot even though it may hurt us. It's the Nebraska way.

Honestly, if I were a coach, I would be very hesitant to ever put him on the field where he could get full contact. If he took one more solid hit and the kid got brain damage or life-long issues, I would feel so guilty. I am sure Darlington wants to give it a go, and understands the risks, but there are some times where it's best not left up to the player if he plays or not.

• Fire 1

If you look back at my posts, I truthfully thought ZD had a chance to be our QB in 2015 after the spring game. He looked better than anyone else. Apparently, he has an issue with the deep ball, but heck, he was money on anything 15 and in. Plus, his reads were superb in comparison with others.

If he is having trouble with speech and memory loss, it sounds like a medical hardship is the best way to go. I wish he could get it together and maybe be the guy his senior year is he is the best man for the job. Would be a pretty cool deal, but I have a bad feeling that he will never see the field due to these lingering issues, if they are true.

So I keep getting into the debate of what ZD's actual status is. I have been on both sides of the fence at one point. Some say he is cleared to play and others say he is still technically not cleared for any contact.

I know he was green shirt for 2014 spring game but the green shirt came off during fall camp and he had no issues with contact according to the article I read. In 2015 he was playing in spring game, no green shirt and he was listed on the depth chart.

So whered does he stand? I was still under the impression that we were honoring his scholarship and allowing him to contribute in practice, but had no real intentions of actually putting him on the field due to concerns over his concussion history.

He was in the spring game...

After the spring game ZD was the QB I was most excited about. Looked poised in the pocket and made smart decisions. Granted he was going against the C team Defense, but looked like a real quarterback. One would think if there were concussion issues he would already be on a med hard ship scholly. Therefore, I believe he is fair game and wouldn't be surprised if he bridges the gap between TA and POB and does a great job.

GBR

Me too. I always heard that arm strength was an issue, but I think it would do a lot to open things up for the offense to have a QB that not only looks for options underneath, but also has the touch and accuracy to put the ball there. Riley's offense really depends on a QB with the ability to see and hit open receivers in the short and intermediate routes.

That said, if ZD's health is not 100%, there's no need to risk further injury. Honor his scholly and I'm sure he'll find ways to contribute as best he can in the meeting room, at practice, and on the sideline. There's always a place for good, smart kids on the team, IMO, whether they can see combat or not.

• Fire 1

I've heard from "reliable sources" that he is still having memory loss issues and may accept a medical hardship.

What is a medical hardship anyway? He's already taken a redshirt year. Can he get some other type of scholarship if he doesn't play anymore? Would it count towards our scholarship limit?

Medical hardship allows for another year to play. Typically, if somebody plays less than 20% (I think) of the season, they can be awarded a medical hardship and gain another year of eligibility.

There is a medical hardship rule that allows injured players (from a healable injury) to gain another year of eligibility if they lost a year due to injury. The discussion about ZD is a medical disability rule for players who suffer a disabling injury that still allows the athletic department to pay for his schooling but essentially removes him from the roster of eligible players. He could still attend practice I believe and soak up football knowledge if coaching is in his future. I wish him the best in whatever decision is made.

• Fire 3

Yes, I stated as much in my second paragraph.

There is a medical hardship rule that allows injured players (from a healable injury) to gain another year of eligibility if they lost a year due to injury. The discussion about ZD is a medical disability rule for players who suffer a disabling injury that still allows the athletic department to pay for his schooling but essentially removes him from the roster of eligible players. He could still attend practice I believe and soak up football knowledge if coaching is in his future. I wish him the best in whatever decision is made.

The terming of the 2 rules are Medical Hardship and Medical Redshirt.

The Medical Hardship is when the player can't play any longer due to injuries, but is allowed to stay on scholarship, be involved in practices, and NOT COUNT against the 85 scholarship limit and overall roster size.

The Medical Redshirt is when a player suffers a major injury in the first few games (less than 25%) and that player sits out the remainder of the year, and is allowed to count that year as a redshirt season. It's basically Injured Reserve for college players. Some players are also given 6th years if they have suffered severe injuries in multiple years during their original 5-year clock. Sometimes that 6th year of eligibility will be termed a "hardship year".

Yes, I stated as much in my second paragraph.

I underlined a sentence, it did not come out.. how did he play if he was not cleared. He must have been cleared to play at that point in time.