Gerry hit

Herbie87

Anyone watch the Pittsburgh/ cincy game? Was basically decided by a poor targeting call and then the announcers talk like it was the perfect call. The guy led with his shoulder but the way the receiver came down it ended up whacking him in the head. I thought it was bs and it basically decided the game

That was targetting. It is not just about the defenders helmet it is about the strike zone on the offensive player. He went high to the head with his shoulder. It was a foolish play by burfict.

Anyone watch the Pittsburgh/ cincy game? Was basically decided by a poor targeting call and then the announcers talk like it was the perfect call. The guy led with his shoulder but the way the receiver came down it ended up whacking him in the head. I thought it was bs and it basically decided the game

No it was a good call. Don't put your head down and go charging into a collision. If these players can't get this by now then it should decide games. Head hunting is no longer part of today's game, and it needs to go.

If the league is so hell bent on stopping this type of contact then the offense needs to become part of it, for example if they should be expected to always run upright so the defense can always engage in a safe wrap up tackle as long as they have the head up and come in below the head of an upright runner, if the runner drops down then they need to be penalized and ejected for creating a dangerous situation. :sarcasm

Outlawing the forward pass would take care of most of this.

hahaha that's hilarious, someone in Alabama I think it was actually tried to petition to make the Alabama football team outlaw the forward pass for all games.

Back to the Gerry hit if that is targeting any hit near the helmet I guess is targeting. They made a lot of targeting calls in bowl games this year I remember one game a targeting call was made in the first minute of the game. On the field going full speed if it looks like targeting and the ref throws the flag, that is fine, but the booth needs to be consistent and make the correct call. I remember seeing a video where one of the officials on the field shook his head when he heard Gerry got ejected.

And now Gerry has a target on his back since he has been called for targeting two times(not sure if he was flagged any other times this year for targeting or not) so he should still play aggressive but refs will really be looking to make sure he doesn't lead with his helmet, despite he was ejected twice for doing nothing outside the rules.

I watched this game, He was retaliating for a play earlier in the game where a linebacker (Vershier?) hit Bernard catching a pass out of the backfield. Looked EXACTLY like Gerrys hit, except he DID target his head. Bernard was out on the way to the ground and fumbled the ball. No flags. Maybe Pittsburg will draft Gerry? :sarcasm

I guess I'm alone in this one most say it was a dirty hit. For the record I don't have any emotional investment in any nfl team, but that play to me looked like he was coming across to hit the guy, leading with his shoulder, the receiver is airborne and kind of just drops in a way that the contact is against the helmet. I just don't think you can perfectly "target" like that on purpose. You are just running as fast as you can toward the players expected positions and trying to hit them so they can't complete the catch

I watched this game, He was retaliating for a play earlier in the game where a linebacker (Vershier?) hit Bernard catching a pass out of the backfield. Looked EXACTLY like Gerrys hit, except he DID target his head. Bernard was out on the way to the ground and fumbled the ball. No flags. Maybe Pittsburg will draft Gerry? :sarcasm

I did see the other play, I don't understand how that one wasn't flagged

It wasn't flagged because Bernard was not a defenseless player. He caught the ball and then became a ball carrier. Shazier did contact his helmet but different rules when receiver becomes a ball carrier.

It wasn't flagged because Bernard was not a defenseless player. He caught the ball and then became a ball carrier. Shazier did contact his helmet but different rules when receiver becomes a ball carrier.

Unless there is no penalty for helmet to helmet or spearing it should not have mattered that gio Bernard wasn't considered defenseless. To me that was the worse of the two plays because he put the top of his helmet right on the rbs chin.

The Berfect hit was bad but I don't know if he was aiming for Browns head just aiming for a hard hit. Brown scrunched up in prep for the hit that caused his head to nail berfects shoulder.

The biggest difference between the two is that shazier easily could have done something different to avoid how he hit Bernard but Berfect was a more bang bang play avoidable more by Berfect not making a play on the ball. The throw definitely didn't help.