Gerry hit

Herbie87

Also...what the hell happened to NCAAM basketball? It used to be clear cut, that if the defender was moving it was a blocking foul, now they slam into the person driving to the hoop and its charging. . ? Used to be defender had to have feet set. Thats how it should be!

No. It's never been that way. That's what many people think the rule says but it's not.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I would like to hear your explanation of this. Many many years ago when I played ball, it was as dvd described. Of course I don't see many things called in game as they use to....especially at the NBA level.

Also, the penalty on Gerry was pure BS!

I don't really care about the NBA so it might be different there. In high school and college, you have to have both feet on the ground and be facing the opponent to establish legal guarding position. After you have established that position, you can move laterally, backwards or jump vertically and still maintain your legal guarding position. Thus, you don't have to be "set" to take a charge. As long as you first establish legal guarding position you can be moving and still take a charge. But you can't be moving toward the opponent.

You always hear people yelling that the defender has to be "set" but that's not true and hasn't been for a very long time - probably ever.

Like many of you I have been a football fan for more than 30 years. These rule changes and use of replay in the last few years have been the worst thing to happen to football ever. And that includes the Ray Lewis tunnel walk. We live in a bizarro world now where a player can go into the endzone with the ball in both hands, falling down after a catch, and it still isnt a touchdown, but if its a running back doing the same thing it is a touchdown. Players are ejected for playing and hitting hard.

Another thing that was much better 25 years ago: Pizza hut pizza, but thats another (equally painful) discussion.

+1000

I feel your pain, brother.

Also...what the hell happened to NCAAM basketball? It used to be clear cut, that if the defender was moving it was a blocking foul, now they slam into the person driving to the hoop and its charging. . ? Used to be defender had to have feet set. Thats how it should be!

No. It's never been that way. That's what many people think the rule says but it's not.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I would like to hear your explanation of this. Many many years ago when I played ball, it was as dvd described. Of course I don't see many things called in game as they use to....especially at the NBA level.

I don't really care about the NBA so it might be different there. In high school and college, you have to have both feet on the ground and be facing the opponent to establish legal guarding position. After you have established that position, you can move laterally, backwards or jump vertically and still maintain your legal guarding position. Thus, you don't have to be "set" to take a charge. As long as you first establish legal guarding position you can be moving and still take a charge. But you can't be moving toward the opponent.

You always hear people yelling that the defender has to be "set" but that's not true and hasn't been for a very long time - probably ever.

Well, I wish Nebraska hs bb officials called this penalty like you have here.

Watch any hs game and fouls are constantly called with the player driving into the lane, the defender standing there and gets the foul. The way it's called, the defender has no way of not fouling.

It's like the refs know they are going to blow the wistle even before there is any play.

Aaand an Air Force player was ejected for targeting with a similar hit as Gerry's. They took 15 seconds to confirm it. The guy hardly even made helmet to helmet contact (his head was once again on the ball carrier's left shoulder and the sides of the helmet touched). This rule is awful.

Aaand an Air Force player was ejected for targeting with a similar hit as Gerry's. They took 15 seconds to confirm it. The guy hardly even made helmet to helmet contact (his head was once again on the ball carrier's left shoulder and the sides of the helmet touched). This rule is awful.

The AF player hit a bit higher on his man - top of shoulder pads vs mid-shoulder pad. Plus you can see the receiver's helmet get hit.

Well, I wish Nebraska hs bb officials called this penalty like you have here.

Watch any hs game and fouls are constantly called with the player driving into the lane, the defender standing there and gets the foul. The way it's called, the defender has no way of not fouling.

It's like the refs know they are going to blow the wistle even before there is any play.

Totally agree. Drives me nuts that good defense gets penalized far too often.

adc7236 - I ref high school ball. Not as much as I used to but enough to stay in it. So I'm pretty familiar with how the rule reads in HS and it's almost word-for-word with the NCAA rule book on this matter.

Any chance the Big 10 in general or Huskers in particular take the Gerry ejection to the NCAA and try to get the targeting rule modified or dropped? It seems that a unsportsman like conduct penalty should cover 'targeting' issues. Wt targeting a penality of its own, it seems like the refs are compelled to call anything that remotely looks like targeting.

Any chance the Big 10 in general or Huskers in particular take the Gerry ejection to the NCAA and try to get the targeting rule modified or dropped? It seems that a unsportsman like conduct penalty should cover 'targeting' issues. Wt targeting a penality of its own, it seems like the refs are compelled to call anything that remotely looks like targeting.

I was talking with an official at the beginning of our season and they were told to be 'looking' for these types of hits. When in doubt, throw the flag. We had a hit that was way weaker called on our DB this year...I know it is high school, but I feel the throw the flag when in doubt/looking for these hits is across the board at all levels.

The biggest difference being that the NCAA can review the hit and overturn it. This is a broken system because they have to essentially admit they were wrong and make it seem like they make mistakes.

I do not see much changing...maybe some sort of central group that can review the hits...maybe this is happening. The fact that on Gerry's hit the 'guru' each game has to discuss his opinion of replays said it would be overturned.

The ACC clown officials that screwed up the Duke-Miami game should have NEVER been allowed to ref a bowl game...not matter how low the bowl game is/was!

• Fire 1

There's always been blown calls, there's just more rules now so there's more opportunity for blown calls.

The will be more rules in the future with even more opportunity for blown calls.

It sucks, but it something you're going to have to embrace - or at least get over - if you're going to continue watching football in the 21st Century.

• Fire 1