So You're Telling Me...

PTPer

The testing is done throughout the year. Not just at the beginning of the season or the end of the season. It is averaged out and that is where the numbers come from.

I agree that some rotation would be good but there are a lot of teams that don't rotate. Stanford is a team that we wish we could be like with their power run game and they don't rotate linemen. They play extra linemen by bringing them in as extra blockers on their heavy sets. That is how they get their backups game time.

• Fire 1

Hope you're all happy by winning a battle and losing the war. I am a realist husker fan and one thing I can't stand about my bretheran is their blind focus on the local team. One game and forget how far we are from the ultimate goal of championship football. Do you know what other coaching staffs are doing across the country to bring winning programs? You have no idea how far we are falling behind, do you? Here you go, just one example: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/06/18/michigan-recruiting-website/28873677/

If you're pointing to this as evidence of what other teams are doing that is so vastly ahead of what Nebraska is doing then you haven't been paying attention to what Nebraska is doing.

• Fire 5

The testing is done throughout the year. Not just at the beginning of the season or the end of the season. It is averaged out and that is where the numbers come from.

I agree that some rotation would be good but there are a lot of teams that don't rotate. Stanford is a team that we wish we could be like with their power run game and they don't rotate linemen. They play extra linemen by bringing them in as extra blockers on their heavy sets. That is how they get their backups game time.

I can see the argument both for and against rotation. If I was the coach it would depend on my current line. Maybe I have 5 guys that have a synergy no other combination of linemen on my team has, in that case, its doubtful I would rotate at all unless we had a commanding lead. If I don't have a combo that has the aforementioned synergy in all likelihood I would be far more inclined to rotate linemen in order to keep them as fresh as possible throughout the game and season.

I thought the staff started pushing the right buttons in the last 4 games.

Maybe it was unrealistic for us to think that a new coaching staff would have a perfect plan the whole season? Players getting accustomed to the new schemes, coaches figuring out the capabilities of players they've never coached and didn't recruit, the players trusting the coaching staff etc. can take time.

It was a rough transition for the first 9 games but I think it started to come together at the end. Excited to see what they can do in the coming years.

• Fire 1

I'll just say that it's time for Cavanaugh to wake up to the notion of rotation. These longer seasons are even more reason to give OL some rest. Because, that's what 4 weeks of rest and a commitment to the run looks like.

also why I discount epleys test results that apparently taken after a season of intense wear and tear.

Maybe this is what happens when we run against a team that is really crappy against the run. They have been all year. Yeah, it was low hanging fruit, but we actually picked it this time.

Unfortunately, I think this is the same lesson our staff will take from the game too...

He's saying that they should have used the same game plan all season.

In theory that would make a lot of fans happy! Myself included.

However, you also run the risk of being too predictable. Some of those points last night were because ucla didn't game plan for us to play that style.

To predictable? Didn't hurt Iowa Mich St to much. There are a ton of other teams that are pretty predictable and had a lot of success

I'd rather be unpredictable than predictable. I'd rather have the defense guessing what's coming next.

i would rather show you something you can't stop and dare you to adjust.

• Fire 3

However, you also run the risk of being too predictable. Some of those points last night were because ucla didn't game plan for us to play that style.

To predictable? Didn't hurt Iowa Mich St to much. There are a ton of other teams that are pretty predictable and had a lot of success

I'd rather be unpredictable than predictable. I'd rather have the defense guessing what's coming next.

Yup. Let's recruit some big nasties in the trenches and feed the ball to Ozigbo. Unpredictability and change of pace can come from play-action passes to the TE or a streaking WR downfield.

I +1'd you. We saw this with the '95 team especially. You're right, that was awesome to watch. Everyone knew we were going to run the ball. We were going to physically beat you up. And no one could stop it. No one. Freaking awesome. biggrin1.gif

If I was your opposing defensive coordinator, I would adjust and Buttkick.gif.

Who wouldn't?

But other teams do tend to make adjustments.

And sometimes the unpredictable mix IS the thing you can't stop.

Everything on everyone's wish list right now points to a more dominant offensive line, which is also on every other team's wish list.

Nope. Watch those successful teams again. They mix it up a lot, especially against better defenses they can't simply dominate physically.

Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama and Michigan State are not predictable. They don't do one thing well. They do a lot of things well. That includes defense.

Those successful teams have passed 50 times in some games this season, and had dominant rushing games in other games this season. They have occasionally passed on third and one, passed on first down and passed in the fourth quarter while they are ahead. They impose their will if they can, but they also exploit what a defense gives them. The Michigan State 22 play drive against Iowa was epic. But there's a reason why every team can't do that every game.

If you judged a Top 10 college team or successful NFL team by the criteria we apply to Nebraska offensive playcalling, the coaches would all be idiots.

We're a slightly more consistent quarterback away from being slightly more successful, and a stronger, more cohesive offensive line away from being pretty damn good.

As it stands, the Nebraska offense was pretty damn exciting.

Perhaps too exciting.

• Fire 1

How did the youngster like it Guy? Did it get cold? Never saw the fog that rolls into the Holiday bowl every year.

We had a great time. My boy yelled himself horse, and there was a lot of good stuff to yell about.

But it was the Gerry call at the end of the first half that really got the Husker fans jacked up, and it continued for the rest of the game. I think it might have motivated the players, too.

It was cold at Levi Stadium. Like Nebraska in early November cold. Gloves and stocking caps. But windless and clear as a bell. Felt like football weather in a good way.