So You're Telling Me...

PTPer

It's about time we had a thread on this topic. Been ages since we had anyone bash the coaching staff about the W/L record. :sarcasm For me I'd rather enjoy the win and have a smile on my face all winter till the spring game. By all means though continue the pissing contest. Some people are only happy when they are miserable and everyone else is made miserable because of of them.

• Fire 6

I'll just say that it's time for Cavanaugh to wake up to the notion of rotation. These longer seasons are even more reason to give OL some rest. Because, that's what 4 weeks of rest and a commitment to the run looks like.

also why I discount epleys test results that apparently taken after a season of intense wear and tear.

Hope you're all happy by winning a battle and losing the war. I am a realist husker fan and one thing I can't stand about my bretheran is their blind focus on the local team. One game and forget how far we are from the ultimate goal of championship football. Do you know what other coaching staffs are doing across the country to bring winning programs? You have no idea how far we are falling behind, do you? Here you go, just one example: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/06/18/michigan-recruiting-website/28873677/

• Fire 1

Testing at the end of the season is completely understandable. Testing is done year round. It's not like Eply has never seen test numbers after a season of wear and tear. I'm sure in his experience he is more than capable of telling the difference in season ending scores and pre season scores.

The man developed this sh#t. He is Yoda.

I'll just say that it's time for Cavanaugh to wake up to the notion of rotation. These longer seasons are even more reason to give OL some rest. Because, that's what 4 weeks of rest and a commitment to the run looks like.

also why I discount epleys test results that apparently taken after a season of intense wear and tear.

Maybe this is what happens when we run against a team that is really crappy against the run. They have been all year. Yeah, it was low hanging fruit, but we actually picked it this time.

UCLA is notoriously bad against the run.

It wasn't a secret that Riley intended to commit to the run to test that defense. UCLA couldn't stop us, so we kept running, with 19 passes thrown in to keep the defense on its toes.

Of course it's the offense we'd love to see, but it requires an opposing defense willing to play along.

I know some fans can't believe it, but Nebraska also came out with run-heavy offenses in several games this season. It worked well in some games -- and some quarters -- but not against better defenses that made the proper adjustments. This really shouldn't be a surprise.

(Same fans may not have noticed UCLA's first touchdown came on a fourth and one where they completed a 25 yard pass. It's not a bad call when it works.)

I do think Langsdorf made a decision to run Tommy more, and Tommy was generally willing (despite another Illinois-like brain fart) and that should definitely be a template for next year.

If you are blaming Nebraska's W/L record on offensive play calling, while refusing to notice the major deficiencies in the Nebraska defense (on display again last night) I think you lose a huge amount of credibility as a football analyst.

It was a good win and a fun game. Happy New Year. Seriously.

+1, seriously, good post.

I would like to add that committing 27 turnovers during the course of the year isn't conducive to achieving a winning season. And last night we actually won the turnover battle. How many times have we lost that battle this year? I think most of us can agree that some of the turnovers resulted from play calls many of us would not have made but many others were just poor decisions on the part of our quarterbacks.

You're absolutely right about our defense and the Purdue game is a good example. How do you lose when you score 45 points, I mean that should be more than enough to win right? Well, when your defense gives up 55...

He's saying that they should have used the same game plan all season.

In theory that would make a lot of fans happy! Myself included.

However, you also run the risk of being too predictable. Some of those points last night were because ucla didn't game plan for us to play that style.

To predictable? Didn't hurt Iowa Mich St to much. There are a ton of other teams that are pretty predictable and had a lot of success

He's saying that they should have used the same game plan all season.

In theory that would make a lot of fans happy! Myself included.

However, you also run the risk of being too predictable. Some of those points last night were because ucla didn't game plan for us to play that style.

To predictable? Didn't hurt Iowa Mich St to much. There are a ton of other teams that are pretty predictable and had a lot of success

I'd rather be unpredictable than predictable. I'd rather have the defense guessing what's coming next.