Riley Interview on Oregon Radio Station

Mavric

Riley pointed, particularly, to a meeting after last season with then-athletic director Bob De Carolis. Riley said De Carolis took away the multi-year contracts that had typically been afforded to the assistant coaches.

Said Riley: "It was direct and clear... it was very, very clear to me."
What was clear exactly?
Riley could stay forever under his long-term deal, but he'd be stranded on that island alone. He'd passed on job offers at USC and Alabama in prior years, and once told me that he had his forever job in Corvallis. Riley also said that he was aware of the growing frustration amid Beavers' fans, which is only to say that he was listening.
"(That frustration) was a real thing," Riley said.
So much so that when Nebraska called, Riley not only had a serious conversation about the job, but brought the potential move to his wife. Per Riley, his wife said, "This is something we should look at," and once they'd decided to go, all that was left was to call De Carolis and OSU president Edward Ray and tell them he was out.
Riley said Tuesday that the phone call lasted 30 seconds. Riley told De Carolis he was leaving for Nebraska. Per Riley, De Carolis said, "Wow."

Full audio in the link

• Fire 2

I listened to this, and read the article, and the feel is a little bit different. Riley says that De Carolis said, "Wow", then wished him luck, then Riley said he wanted to call the president, and De Carolis said, "Well, I'll do that for you" and that the whole thing lasted 30-40 seconds. Riley made it seem a lot more polite and honestly less noteworthy than the article did, which excises the "all the best" sentiments in favor of playing up who-gets-to-call-the-president as a "professional disagreement."

That said, Riley & the author (and interviewee) seem very cordial and familiar with one another. Perhaps this is a reporter who is reading between the lines of Riley's dogged politeness?

Regarding the move, Riley takes it as more a coinciding of good timing for everyone than anything else. He'd been through the whole deal before. On the one hand you had a perennial backseat program, wanting more with little resources and (understandably) acting tough about it. On the other, a historic powerhouse ready to throw all its considerable weight behind you in an effort to build something great. Seems like an easy call.

• Fire 5

I listened to this, and read the article, and the feel is a little bit different. Riley says that De Carolis said, "Wow", then wished him luck, then Riley said he wanted to call the president, and De Carolis said, "Well, I'll do that for you" and that the whole thing lasted 30-40 seconds. Riley made it seem a lot more polite and honestly less noteworthy than the article did, which excises the "all the best" sentiments in favor of playing up who-gets-to-call-the-president as a "professional disagreement."That said, Riley & the author (and interviewee) seem very cordial and familiar with one another. Perhaps this is a reporter who is reading between the lines of Riley's dogged politeness?Regarding the move, Riley takes it as more a coinciding of good timing for everyone than anything else. He'd been through the whole deal before. On the one hand you had a perennial backseat program, wanting more with little resources and (understandably) acting tough about it. On the other, a historic powerhouse ready to throw all its considerable weight behind you in an effort to build something great. Seems like an easy call.

I applaud Riley for taking the job and setting up his friends for life...I would have done the same exact thing and I think that most of us would have...

Now with that said...SE is simply not doing his job if he doesn't send out a feeler to Chip Kelly.

If you hate coaches who get too cute, you'll be appalled by Chip Kelly.

I kinda like him myself.

As for Riley, I think the Devil's Advocate position is probably accurate. While they might have been surprised that he bolted to Nebraska, I get the feeling OSU wanted a fresh start with someone else.

You know, I think I agree with all of this.

A feeler to Chip Kelly for what exactly? We aren't in the market for a coach.

I personally feel that "you" are always in the market...if you can find someone better you need to do that...Coaches recruit players and AD's need to be recruiting coaches.

Do you have the money to keep buying out contracts? That's what you would have to do, you can't fire someone who is under contract without just cause.

• Fire 1

I personally feel that "you" are always in the market...if you can find someone better you need to do that...Coaches recruit players and AD's need to be recruiting coaches.

Going after a coach that happens to be available every season would make us look like a sink hole job.

• Fire 1

Going after a coach that happens to be available every season would make us look like a sink hole job.

It could, I agree...but there a a few coaches out there that I feel you just have to take a look at if they are unemployed. If Urban Meyer quit today, would you want SE to call him? What about Saban?

Elf, do I have the money? No...but NU sure does...and you can fire someone under contract without just cause...you just gotta pay them! Ha

Why would Shawn Eichorst fire Mike Riley even if Chip Kelly was available? The amount of uproar around here would be monumental, even if it was a name like Kelly.