Husker Basketball Recruitment Historically

Let me preface this one thing before sharing my opinion: I like Tim Miles and think he will be here for a while.

That being said, some people get all hot and bothered when the guy gets any criticism. I love what he has done with recruiting, but ask Bill Callahan if that will help you keep your job if you cant turn those recruits in to wins.

I get we had a major amount of Turnover and have new true big but that all lands on Tim Miles ability.

I love what he did in getting guys like Watson, Morrow, McVeigh and Jacobson. I know it needs time, but my major concern is his inability to fix this offense. I get that when you have guys like Benny on the floor, you lose offensive options, but we need to work on ball rotation to make the offensive more diverse(easier said then done).

• Fire 1

Take any freshman from KU or Duke or any number of top 10 schools and they would wipe the floor with our freshman!

huskerfan2000

That is the problem you talk about taking these powerhouse conferences and putting a freshman into a successful situation and they can shine. We have a situation where we are trying to take MULTIPLE freshman and expect them to play at the same level as your KU / Duke example - this is not realistic.

We start 3 juniors 2 seniors and a redshirt sophomore. Yes, we play freshman but what does that have to do with playing clean, smart basketball? You are making excuses for Miles!

What makes those schools powerhouse schools? Coaching!!!!!

We are definitely underachieving if we're starting out with a man advantage. ;)

Take any freshman from KU or Duke or any number of top 10 schools and they would wipe the floor with our freshman!

huskerfan2000

That is the problem you talk about taking these powerhouse conferences and putting a freshman into a successful situation and they can shine. We have a situation where we are trying to take MULTIPLE freshman and expect them to play at the same level as your KU / Duke example - this is not realistic.

We start 3 juniors 2 seniors and a redshirt sophomore. Yes, we play freshman but what does that have to do with playing clean, smart basketball? You are making excuses for Miles!

We are definitely underachieving if we're starting out with a man advantage. ;)

lol, oops

I goofed that up totally, anyway.. I think Watson and Jacobson both started against Iowa, so we had a couple freshman start.

I Think you should be praising Miles for starting 6 and getting away with it - with that said we should be leading by more than a dozen if he can keep those 6 on the floor.

It's silly to try to pull off that we start/play almost entirely upperclassmen. Look at the stats after any game and that is not even close to true. A possible reason Miles doesn't start 2 freshman along with a first year transfer jr is that he is trying to deflect some of that pressure that is being placed on the youth (core of our team).

Saying Miles can't coach would be an easier sell once his current players are in their 3rd or 4th year. Miles has used a strategy of getting higher level guys that only have a couple years eligibility remaining which isn't always the best long-term, however it was nice to get us some early wins.

Coaching does help with winning, however 16-18 year old kids from around the world have been dreaming of playing for schools like KU and Duke for their entire lives - not sure Miles and NU have that luxury.

I Think you should be praising Miles for starting 6 and getting away with it - with that said we should be leading by more than a dozen if he can keep those 6 on the floor.

It's silly to try to pull off that we start/play almost entirely upperclassmen. Look at the stats after any game and that is not even close to true. A possible reason Miles doesn't start 2 freshman along with a first year transfer jr is that he is trying to deflect some of that pressure that is being placed on the youth (core of our team).

Saying Miles can't coach would be an easier sell once his current players are in their 3rd or 4th year. Miles has used a strategy of getting higher level guys that only have a couple years eligibility remaining which isn't always the best long-term, however it was nice to get us some early wins.

Coaching does help with winning, however 16-18 year old kids from around the world have been dreaming of playing for schools like KU and Duke for their entire lives - not sure Miles and NU have that luxury.

Why do I have to wait until year 3 or 4? Basketball is much easier to turn around than most sports. If you tell me it is not, then how can people claim that Miles turned every program around when his longest stint was North Dakota State at 6 years?

Also, either we are getting good recruits and coaching is not helping them develop or schools like KU and other top 10 are getting freshman that are of a higher quality.. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. Dreaming of playing at a school does not make you a better player.. it means recruiting is easier, other than that not sure why that is even brought up.

I'm still firmly buckled in on the Miles bandwagon. An awful lot of that is because of his recruiting. Obviously, this year and last we aren't seeing the results on the court.

I think we recently signed the best recruiting class in decades and I think it had all 5 positions covered....(am I remembering correctly?)

I am excited to see that class (and other players mixed in) work itself through.

As GBR has said, when Miles got here, he relied on transfers and short term players to fill spots. That worked to improve the winning percentage short term. While doing that, he was recruiting these younger players. I had hoped those younger players would come in and have an immediate impact. Sometimes that doesn't work out.

Hopefully we will continue to see improvement in the younger guys as the year goes on and build for next year.

Why do I have to wait until year 3 or 4? Basketball is much easier to turn around than most sports. If you tell me it is not, then how can people claim that Miles turned every program around when his longest stint was North Dakota State at 6 years?

Also, either we are getting good recruits and coaching is not helping them develop or schools like KU and other top 10 are getting freshman that are of a higher quality.. Which is it? You can't have it both ways. Dreaming of playing at a school does not make you a better player.. it means recruiting is easier, other than that not sure why that is even brought up.

I didn't even realize that is a question. Do people actually think we are being able to get the same quality of freshmen as KU, Duke...etc?

We have had an upgrade in recruiting. But, if you expect Miles to all of a sudden bring in classes like those schools....well.....you are going to be very disappointed no matter who the coach is.

That's like saying and ISU football fan should be upset if their coach doesn't bring in a class like Alabama this year.

I think we recently signed the best recruiting class in decades and I think it had all 5 positions covered....(am I remembering correctly?)

The 2015 class had five player listed at PG, PG, SG, PF and PF. However, I'm not sure either of the two PFs are impact players at that spot. I really like Morrow but he's a 4 in a 3's body. A little undersized and not a lot of offense. Jacobson is more of a true 4 but he's not one of the top-rated recruits. He seems to be solid but not overly athletic. Looks to me like a good role player but not a game-changer.

huskerfan2000

The last time I looked we start 2 Srs, 2 Fr. & 1 Jr. who is a newcomer. A junior, 2 fresh are first of the bench

huskerfan2000

The last time I looked we start 2 Srs, 2 Fr. & 1 Jr. who is a newcomer. A junior, 2 fresh are first of the bench

Yeah, I already said to totally goofed that up.

I didn't even realize that is a question. Do people actually think we are being able to get the same quality of freshmen as KU, Duke...etc?

We have had an upgrade in recruiting. But, if you expect Miles to all of a sudden bring in classes like those schools....well.....you are going to be very disappointed no matter who the coach is.

That's like saying and ISU football fan should be upset if their coach doesn't bring in a class like Alabama this year.

No, nobody is expecting that. As a matter of fact I couldn't care less about star rankings. I care about on court play.. and that has not gotten better in many years.

Player development is what we have to have, because NU will never be KU! We can, and should expect much better than what we are, contrary to what some think.