Husker Basketball Recruitment Historically

The way this team is built right now means there have been recruiting failures.

The 2014 class had a PG that left already and a C that clearly is backup quality at best.

The 2013 class had a SG leave early a second SG still playing irrelevant mins, a C/PF that was good but a JUCO which didn't add program depth and Tai has proven to be a good player as he has matured.

The 2012 Doc influenced class was good with Shields and Benny along with Petteway and Pitchford transferring in from Miles. Sergej obviously didn't work.

Looking back though there has been one "true" center recruited out of HS since Miles has been here. The prospects for 2016 aren't really strong for another big man and I would expect us to take another graduate transfer or JUCO to fill the gap that we have b/c Miles couldn't land even a decent younger player at the position over his first four recruiting cycles.

We will always struggle as long as our transfer players are viewed as saviors rather than the final piece to the puzzle.

The way this team is built right now means there have been recruiting failures.

The 2014 class had a PG that left already and a C that clearly is backup quality at best.

The 2013 class had a SG leave early a second SG still playing irrelevant mins, a C/PF that was good but a JUCO which didn't add program depth and Tai has proven to be a good player as he has matured.

The 2012 Doc influenced class was good with Shields and Benny along with Petteway and Pitchford transferring in from Miles. Sergej obviously didn't work.

Looking back though there has been one "true" center recruited out of HS since Miles has been here. The prospects for 2016 aren't really strong for another big man and I would expect us to take another graduate transfer or JUCO to fill the gap that we have b/c Miles couldn't land even a decent younger player at the position over his first four recruiting cycles.

We will always struggle as long as our transfer players are viewed as saviors rather than the final piece to the puzzle.

I thought when we hired Hunter, he would get us a good center. It has not happened.

BTW, the 2016 class has SG, SF, PF and Horne seems to be a little closer to a legit 4, imo.

Are you including Gill on the incoming?

Roby is going to be like a Morrow in terms of needs to grow in to his body. Maybe Shields is a better example.

I am excited to see what Roby can do but he wont make a splash for a couple years.

Horne is a question mark as well. Adds some much needed size down low, but still not a 5 that we desperately.

My biggest issue is that guys are forced to play out of position.

Saw it with Tai Webster playing the 1 for a while. Ideally i want Morrow playing the 4.

• Fire 1

BTW, the 2016 class has SG, SF, PF and Horne seems to be a little closer to a legit 4, imo.

Are you including Gill on the incoming?

Roby is going to be like a Morrow in terms of needs to grow in to his body. Maybe Shields is a better example.

I am excited to see what Roby can do but he wont make a splash for a couple years.

Horne is a question mark as well. Adds some much needed size down low, but still not a 5 that we desperately.

My biggest issue is that guys are forced to play out of position.

Saw it with Tai Webster playing the 1 for a while. Ideally i want Morrow playing the 4.

I had not included Gill. Another G.

Basically we have recruited well at the 1 and 2 positions. OK at the 4 and not well at the 5.

The 5 spot has been a problem at Nebraska for just about as long as I can remember and a major part of why I think we have struggled to put a competitive team on the floor.

I just don't understand why we can't get one here.

I just dont get how we cant get a JUCO or top 100 kid in here if he realizes he could basically start for 4 straight years....

I get our system might not fit a big man, but I think a talented big could put up excellent numbers here.

Basically we have recruited well at the 1 and 2 positions. OK at the 4 and not well at the 5.

The 5 spot has been a problem at Nebraska for just about as long as I can remember and a major part of why I think we have struggled to put a competitive team on the floor.

I just dont get how we cant get a JUCO or top 100 kid in here if he realizes he could basically start for 4 straight years....

I get our system might not fit a big man, but I think a talented big could put up excellent numbers here.

We can, the current coaches are not selling NU! Either that, or they are just not putting in the effort to look for a big man.

We can, the current coaches are not selling NU! Either that, or they are just not putting in the effort to look for a big man.

Really?

Don't we have one assistant coach who it is presumed to be "the guy" to recruit big men and who has recruiting ties back east where there is a wealth of big men?

I don't know if it is as simple as your suggestion of lack of effort; I just wonder if this particular coach is not getting it done in what we expected from that hire.

I have no inside info, just a question.

Don't we have one assistant coach who it is presumed to be "the guy" to recruit big men and who has recruiting ties back east where there is a wealth of big men?

I don't know if it is as simple as your suggestion of lack of effort; I just wonder if this particular coach is not getting it done in what we expected from that hire.

I have no inside info, just a question.

It might not be as simple as I stated, but if you think about NU really is set up. New facilities, new auditorium to play in, fan support!

It sure seems to me someone isn't selling Lincoln good enough! northwestern has a big man, are they better than NU, or just have better recruiter? They sure don't have a history ot help pull in recruits.