Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison at age 40

knapplc

This is heartbreaking. To see all of those people there for LP including Coach Osborne. Obviously a lot of people still cared for LP.

I don't know what to think of the 'apparent' suicide now after reading those tweets. Unfortunately whatever the case may be it still doesn't change the outcome.

Still for the families sake I hope that the truth will come to light.

RIP Lawrence Phillips...

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

The final Coroner's report has come out. It appears to show that Phillips committed suicide:

Lawrence Phillips strangled himself in cell with 'do not resuscitate' note taped to chest, final coroner's report says

Lawrence Phillips strangled himself with a bedsheet strung from a TV shelf in his California prison cell, concludes the final report of the coroner who investigated the former Nebraska football star’s death.

The long-awaited report offers other new details of what prison officials found when they entered Phillips’ cell on Jan. 13, including a “Do Not Resuscitate’’ note taped to his chest. Phillips was hanging in a seated position, apparently because the TV shelf was so low to the floor.

There were other such details in the report, but nothing that on its face would suggest that the death of the talented but flawed Phillips was anything but self-­inflicted.

“After completing an investigation in conjunction with the California Department of Corrections, the death of Lawrence Lamond Phillips was determined to be a suicide,” concluded the coroner’s report.

• Fire 1

Here's what bothers me about this whole thing...

...Phillips’ attorneys have previously reported that one side of the note said: “Did you hear the one about the football player who hung himself from the TV mount in his cell?’’ The writer had later added an “X’’ before football player. The other side of the note began, “What’s the black person do?’’ and ended with, “They should just die.’’

...from reading the stories and excerpts from the letters he wrote that were provided, this doesn't sound like the same guy. Sounds more like someone else's passive-aggressive way of slamming them while making their victim a suicide note. But maybe I'm just looking too much into the parts of his communication that suggested maybe Lawrence finally got it.

Still feel bad for his family and friends that tried to help him. There are no winners in this sad saga.

• 6 months later...