10 quarterbacks to watch from the recruiting class of 2016

knapplc

I won't miss the zone read, but I love the QB draws, naked bootlegs, and freewheeling scrambles you can run with a quarterback whose arm is equally respected.

It's not just Nebraska moving away from the zone read. Defenses have started to figure it out. Probably a new wrinkle right around the corner.

Hmmm, I haven't seen a defense stop it with any consistency ever, and it is getting more incorporated in the NFL(dual QBs). From observation, I consider the zone read fairly unstoppable, but hey, what do I know, right, I'm just a fan.

In Week 1, the Carolina Panthers’ listless offense turned over the ball twice, gave up three sacks, and registered a grand total of 10 — yes, 10 — rushing yards. Last week against the Saints, Carolina exploded for 35 points and 219 yards on the ground while Cam Newton averaged an amazing 12.7 yards per passattempt. The Panthers looked like the offense it was for much of last season, and they did it by getting back to what is, for them, basics — the read-option running game.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/cam-newton-and-the-diversity-of-carolinas-zone-read-package/

I won't miss the zone read, but I love the QB draws, naked bootlegs, and freewheeling scrambles you can run with a quarterback whose arm is equally respected.

It's not just Nebraska moving away from the zone read. Defenses have started to figure it out. Probably a new wrinkle right around the corner.

Hmmm, I haven't seen a defense stop it with any consistency ever, and it is getting more incorporated in the NFL(dual QBs). From observation, I consider the zone read fairly unstoppable, but hey, what do I know, right, I'm just a fan.

In Week 1, the Carolina Panthers’ listless offense turned over the ball twice, gave up three sacks, and registered a grand total of 10 — yes, 10 — rushing yards. Last week against the Saints, Carolina exploded for 35 points and 219 yards on the ground while Cam Newton averaged an amazing 12.7 yards [/size]per passattempt. The Panthers looked like the offense it was for much of last season, and they did it by getting back to what is, for them, basics — the read-option running game.[/size]

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/cam-newton-and-the-diversity-of-carolinas-zone-read-package/

Carolina Panthers, Nebraska Cornhuskers. One of these things is not like the other...

When executed properly, like all systems, the Zone Read can be fun to watch. If you want to see it executed improperly, there are multiple examples from 2008-2014.

In Week 1, the Carolina Panthers’ listless offense turned over the ball twice, gave up three sacks, and registered a grand total of 10 — yes, 10 — rushing yards. Last week against the Saints, Carolina exploded for 35 points and 219 yards on the ground while Cam Newton averaged an amazing 12.7 yards [/size]per passattempt. The Panthers looked like the offense it was for much of last season, and they did it by getting back to what is, for them, basics — the read-option running game.[/size]

Carolina Panthers, Nebraska Cornhuskers. One of these things is not like the other...

When executed properly, like all systems, the Zone Read can be fun to watch. If you want to see it executed improperly, there are multiple examples from 2008-2014.

Both have dual threat QBs and run some zone read which is effective for them, right? Yeah, they do.

I haven't seen anybody stop TA much on the zone read, in fact, it has been a great weapon for us. Clemson, Watson, zone read = lethal. We have to be able to spread it out some, especially when we come up against a team that is our physical match or more. Hope we can keep it in the arsenal, just saying.

What some people can't handle with the zone read option (or really any option) is that it will result in loss yards sometimes.

When Oregon ran it heavily, they lead Div 1 in plays of 0 yards or loss. But, the reward from it is big.

Some fans see the plays for a loss and think it's being ran wrong or that it doesn't work. It reality, it's just a fact of life with that type of play.

• Fire 2

I think we ran a really nice read option with Martinez, especially when teamed with Burkhead.

It lost its effectiveness when Martinez lost a step. And when defenses knew it was coming.

Armstrong looks better equipped for the designed QB draw.

Most quarterbacks are also told to stay committed to the pocket on pass plays, and don't take off running at the first sign of open field. I'd give the opposite advice to Tommy Armstrong. He left tons of sure yards on the field last year, looking for a high-risk highlight play. Tommy has a style that could look a lot like Deshaun Watson if he could bump his accuracy up a tick, and take off running every time the defense let down its guard.

• Fire 2

What some people can't handle with the zone read option (or really any option) is that it will result in loss yards sometimes.

When Oregon ran it heavily, they lead Div 1 in plays of 0 yards or loss. But, the reward from it is big.

Some fans see the plays for a loss and think it's being ran wrong or that it doesn't work. It reality, it's just a fact of life with that type of play.

Guess I didn't think I was suggesting anything radical here. TA probably averages ~12 yds a pop w the zone read, and 15, 20, 25 yds with some regularity--see UCLA game, for e.g. UCLA did stuff the one attempt late in the 4th after they had been burned on it multiple times. I think The U stuffed it once when we played them at home a year ago, but TA had his way with them on it.

Patrick O’Brien, No. 17 QB, committed to Nebraska

Starting quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. returns for his senior season after passing for 3,030 yards and 22 touchdowns in 2015. But Armstrong’s accuracy problems (55.2% completion percentage and 16 interceptions) leave room for improvement, possibly creating some wiggle room for O’Brien to exploit. The Cornhuskers didn’t sign a quarterback last year and haven’t brought in a passer as highly ranked as O’Brien since Armstrong. Even if O’Brien doesn’t pull the upset to win the starting job this fall, the 6’4”, 230-pound four-star is certainly a key part of coach Mike Riley’s future plans under center.

Did they forget about Johnny Stanton he was a Elite 11 - 4 Star QB.

Both have dual threat QBs and run some zone read which is effective for them, right? Yeah, they do.

I haven't seen anybody stop TA much on the zone read, in fact, it has been a great weapon for us. Clemson, Watson, zone read = lethal. We have to be able to spread it out some, especially when we come up against a team that is our physical match or more. Hope we can keep it in the arsenal, just saying.

Idk if it applies to you guys or not, but typically ours is a run/pass option. read option and then there's a WR out wide in the flats towards the side the QB goes that can get the pass as well.

Idk if it applies to you guys or not, but typically ours is a run/pass option. read option and then there's a WR out wide in the flats towards the side the QB goes that can get the pass as well.

So far, we haven't had a coach embrace the run/pass option offense that Baylor, Clemson, etc. are running.

On a side note, I'm really surprised there aren't more coaches from Art Briles coaching tree getting hired. The Baylor offense has put up staggering numbers while adapting to both running and passing offensive schemes.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. returns for his senior season after passing for 3,030 yards and 22 touchdowns in 2015. But Armstrong’s accuracy problems (55.2% completion percentage and 16 interceptions) leave room for improvement, possibly creating some wiggle room for O’Brien to exploit. The Cornhuskers didn’t sign a quarterback last year and haven’t brought in a passer as highly ranked as O’Brien since Armstrong. Even if O’Brien doesn’t pull the upset to win the starting job this fall, the 6’4”, 230-pound four-star is certainly a key part of coach Mike Riley’s future plans under center.

Wasn't he compared to Tim Tebow, opposed to a passing QB? I may be remembering incorrectly though, I thought he was recruited as a dual threat rather than a passing qb.

Wasn't he compared to Tim Tebow, opposed to a passing QB? I may be remembering incorrectly though, I thought he was recruited as a dual threat rather than a passing qb.

His high school nickname was Johnny Tebow. But Tim Tebow was very much a passing QB in high school/college.

I think we ran a really nice read option with Martinez, especially when teamed with Burkhead.

It lost its effectiveness when Martinez lost a step. And when defenses knew it was coming.

Armstrong looks better equipped for the designed QB draw.

Most quarterbacks are also told to stay committed to the pocket on pass plays, and don't take off running at the first sign of open field. I'd give the opposite advice to Tommy Armstrong. He left tons of sure yards on the field last year, looking for a high-risk highlight play. Tommy has a style that could look a lot like Deshaun Watson if he could bump his accuracy up a tick, and take off running every time the defense let down its guard.

It lost its effectiveness when Watson was fired and Tim Beck came in and tried to make the offense 50/50 on the run pass play calling.

The power read option offenses are in essence identical to Nebraska's rush and option offense of the 90's only now being run in the modern pistol sets and featuring more WR bubble screens, and I suppose you can say more screens I general.

The offense is all about working short yardage runs and passes that when executed correctly should get you 3-4 yards plus. Do this enough to soften up the defense and you can get into the more complicated triple option plays pass run reads that are absolutely lethal.

Tim Beck tried to incorporate MArk Mangino's Spread vertical air attack into it I think, and that was were the problem began. Pistol read option and Spread pass don't mesh, both offenses have their own distinct goals that will effect play calling and the goals of either these offense run counter to the other.

Basically the Read option is a great offense that is a continuation of what won us titles in the 90's. Bo I think understood that but didn't know how to implement, And Tim Beck didn't either.

I'm sad to see this offense go, but it looks like based off the style of QB's we are recruiting that we will still run it but in a very diminished role, it will only be used to keep a rushing defense honest. If the other team is getting a little aggressive the read option will be used to try and take advantage of it.

But that will be it I think.

• Fire 2