Great Roundtable today on Sharp & Benning

Kernal

Benning has become a total stooge.

They are so predictable in their agenda, it's not even amusing anymore. Banderas should count himself lucky that "hulk smash" gave his kid another chance after the bike incident.

ive got no problem with Bo keeping Bando on the team for snagging bikes, I mean if the almighty DR Tom can play some of the guys he did after what they pulled this is no biggie.

I have no problem with it either. Just wonder why Banderas is going to go on the whining offensive now.

What I do know is that the whole"I leaned more as a JR than in my first two seasons" argument is specious. Because most kids make their big jump around that time. That's when 85% finally figure out how to take coaching at the college level (and the kids in front of them have graduated).

its-science-anchorman.gif

• Fire 2

What I do know is that the whole"I leaned more as a JR than in my first two seasons" argument is specious.

Not a big deal on Banderas' comment.........if I were a returning player with that same returning position coach, I might say something similar.

That's probably true. But it's also possible Bray is better able to teach Banderas than Els.
  • Fire 2

They are so predictable in their agenda, it's not even amusing anymore. Banderas should count himself lucky that "hulk smash" gave his kid another chance after the bike incident.

ive got no problem with Bo keeping Bando on the team for snagging bikes, I mean if the almighty DR Tom can play some of the guys he did after what they pulled this is no biggie.

I have no problem with it either. Just wonder why Banderas is going to go on the whining offensive now.

What I do know is that the whole"I leaned more as a JR than in my first two seasons" argument is specious. Because most kids make their big jump around that time. That's when 85% finally figure out how to take coaching at the college level (and the kids in front of them have graduated).

You sure do have some great insight. The Linebackers were night and day better this last season than they have been for a long time

• Fire 3

love these guys in the morning. generally, do a very good job and bring interesting perspectives.

Only complaint is that Benning will sometimes over complicate and over analyze things. I think he sometimes wants the subject to sounds more confusing than it actually is so he can take the "i am a former player and have been in a locker room, you havent. I know this stuff and you dont" route.

I take it more of him trying to give us insight from the locker room which I can appreciate

I think it's funny when former players talk about "enjoying college". Benning said he was a Sandy's guy, while Foreman said he would go to Iguana's.

I did find it interesting when Benning made it sound like he was drinking a lot early in his career at NU, and almost got kicked off the team for it. He had to go talk to Dr. Stark and the rest of the Unity Council.

Sometimes I think he shares half of a story, which stirs a controversy. Noah Fant coming onto the show the week before signing day, telling fans there is another side of the story but doesn't share what he means by that except through cryptic innuendos and then says people don't get it, and then after Hank Hughes gets canned, he goes "See! That's what I've been trying to say for 2 months."

I get that he doesn't want to burn sources or trust, but I'm kind of annoyed by the "I know something but I'm not telling" approach. It's why being media and being a friend doesn't mesh well.

I did really enjoy this round table. I like hearing their opinions and stories and have a pretty informal discussion. Take it for what it's worth though, as some have pointed out. I tune in to 1620 most often and like all the hosts, they do a pretty good job overall. Didn't mean to complain like I don't generally like their show, but that was just one thing that bugs me.

You sure do have some great insight. The Linebackers were night and day better this last season than they have been for a long time

That's perception, but we don't really know. What we do know is that the same group of DBs performed much worse. Was that because they were worse or their coaching was worse? I doubt it. It's more because of what a scheme asks players to do. This year, we had a scheme that was "easier" on the LBs and harder on the DBs than what Pelini ran.

That's not to take away from Bray, who seems like a very good guy and coach.

Just saying that scheme often dictates productivity, which people use as a proxy to judge coaching. Often, that's a good proxy, but not always, especially when evaluating a team's overall performance (e.g., no one shoudl be too psyched about an all conference receiver who got production at the expense of overall offfensive efficiency).

That's perception, but we don't really know. What we do know is that the same group of DBs performed much worse. Was that because they were worse or their coaching was worse? I doubt it. It's more because of what a scheme asks players to do. This year, we had a scheme that was "easier" on the LBs and harder on the DBs than what Pelini ran.

That's not to take away from Bray, who seems like a very good guy and coach.

Just saying that scheme often dictates productivity, which people use as a proxy to judge coaching. Often, that's a good proxy, but not always, especially when evaluating a team's overall performance (e.g., no one shoudl be too psyched about an all conference receiver who got production at the expense of overall offfensive efficiency).

Yes, but I do remember JF saying that he was unimpressed by what the linebackers were being taught right after the last crew was fired. I don't care how much the scheme may have helped (and it undoubtedly did to some extent) but the linebacker play, considering how thin the group was and the injuries that they dealt with, was nothing less than outstanding. The secondary was hurt most by the change in technique which was radically different than last year by all accounts. That and the revolving secondary coaches had to affect them. I suspect that they had a tough time trusting the new information when it was so different from the old

Also, I think that the elder Bando's point about the Bosplusions is valid. If start to play timid because you are afraid to make a mistake, you play slow and get to see a whole lot of the south side of a northbound Melvin Gordon.

Problem with that whole "Bo scared his players" theory is that the vast majority of his players loved him where ever he's been. You can find a ton of articles on the topic from NU, LSU and OU.

Some husker fans love to pillory the guy... And the only reason I can figure it's so important for them to vilify him is that they know how unreasonable they are for having twice wanted a .700+ coach fired.

Problem with that whole "Bo scared his players" theory is that the vast majority of his players loved him where ever he's been. You can find a ton of articles on the topic from NU, LSU and OU.

Some husker fans love to pillory the guy... And the only reason I can figure it's so important for them to vilify him is that they know how unreasonable they are for having twice wanted a .700+ coach fired.

TURMOIL.gif

Yep, Bo scares his players so badly that they cower in a corner, afraid to make plays... oh wait, or they yell at him on the sideline. You guys are such pretzels.

People who post that kind of clip and claim its evidence of underlying problems haven't ever played a sport or be in the military. Men get heated. It happens. Doesn't change the level of love and respect you have for each other.

"People are making something out of nothing," Stafford said. "Me and Bo both, we know what's going on. We know we're good. That's all that really matters.We're one big family. Family members fight. I fight with my dad. I fight with my mom. It's nothing. I love Bo, that's why I came here."

and

Pelini said Monday that he has a disciplined team that represents the state and university well and that he didn't think Stafford was being disrespectful.

"The only thing you can criticize Daimion Stafford for was wanting to win so bad," Pelini said. "He was upset. He should be upset. We gave up a touchdown."

Pelini said he was trying to calm Stafford, who later in the game made a key interception and fumble recovery. Nebraska (No. 14 BCS, No. 16 AP) won 32-23.

"I love the guy. He's an emotional leader," Pelini said. "Let me tell you, it's an emotional game. That stuff happens. That's not the first time that's ever happened. That happens on the practice field. It's no big deal to me."

• Fire 1