Peyton??

zoogs

I find it hilarious that this is being brought up decades after it happened and was settled out of court.

Peyton denied the allegations back then and denies it to this day. Lets wait to hear from the accuser and his lawyers instead of just siding to a ONE sided report

There's a lot more being brought up and alluded to than just that specific incident in 1996.

I find it hilarious that this is being brought up decades after it happened and was settled out of court.

Peyton denied the allegations back then and denies it to this day. Lets wait to hear from the accuser and his lawyers instead of just siding to a ONE sided report

I don't think many here have sided with anyone. But the Fox Sports writer thinks sexual assault is okay.

As disgusting as the original act was, and as damning as the cover/smear is, I still find it hilarious that this race baiting Shaun King is some how suggesting that Peyton's ENTIRE reputation is built on lies.... That's such bullsh#t.... Peyton was in the wrong, but he seems to have grown into a respectable person, and has been a great ambassador for the NFL....

• Fire 1

The article was good up until:

If he had a bad moment – and it’s possible this occurred the way Naughright’s lawyer suggested it did – he has, on balance, had exponentially more good moments. I’ve never felt you judge someone based on one of the worst, if not THE worst, moment of their lives.

Unless, you know, they murdered someone or did something else that could be deemed unforgivable.

Again, this happened 20 years ago, when he was still a teenager.

Starting to get really sick of these writers saying it's okay since he was young, or that it was a locker room prank. Again, IF he did it, he then went on to ruin her career 8-9 years later based on lies, out of revenge, at the "young" age of 27.

Sometimes this stuff is forgivable if the person shows remorse or pays the penalty for it. IF he did it, he has done neither of those things.

The author wrote a bunch of good stuff and then decided to be an idiot, just like the fox sports guy.

The article was good up until:

If he had a bad moment – and it’s possible this occurred the way Naughright’s lawyer suggested it did – he has, on balance, had exponentially more good moments. I’ve never felt you judge someone based on one of the worst, if not THE worst, moment of their lives.

Unless, you know, they murdered someone or did something else that could be deemed unforgivable.

Again, this happened 20 years ago, when he was still a teenager.

Starting to get really sick of these writers saying it's okay since he was young, or that it was a locker room prank. Again, IF he did it, he then went on to ruin her career 8-9 years later based on lies, out of revenge, at the "young" age of 27.

Sometimes this stuff is forgivable if the person shows remorse or pays the penalty for it. IF he did it, he has done neither of those things.

The author wrote a bunch of good stuff and then decided to be an idiot, just like the fox sports guy.

I agree...this falls under torture...period.

http://deadspin.com/how-tennessee-s-sexual-harassment-allegations-caught-up-1759118435?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

It amounts, in any reading, to a staff member being serially harassed at a major athletic program.

This story is in its way in a line with many others: the ones about police officers giving special treatment to players, or rape at a player recruitment party, or an athletic department turning a blind eye to child abuse. These are cases not just where wrong was done, but where an institution became complicit in it, where the imperative to win became every bit as corrupting and corrosive as the most strident critics of college sports would have it.

I like the treatment Deadspin gave here.

To date, Peyton's chosen the route of pawning off responsibility, sneaking in some snide last words, and burying the issue. He seems woefully backwards in grasping concepts of gender equality (to be fair, this was 2002) and repeatedly hid behind brother Cooper's own penchant for mooning -- going so far as to suggest Cooper would have personally mooned the lady and isn't that great. Peyton is no victim and this is not something that is happening to him -- so much as it is his own words, having been largely forgotten, coming back to roost.

Given the power imbalance present in such an environment and the alignment of all the forces around protecting one side, it would be shocking if this didn't happen on a much wider scale. Certainly Peyton isn't the only athlete or administrator who have conveniently been able to avoid facing responsibility for inappropriate actions or responses they chose to employ on the effectively voiceless.

Peyton could still redeem himself with an unequivocal apology (both for actions, and attitudes expressed). He could be an example, not an anti-example, in a time where we're all taking issues such as this much more seriously and looking to our best institutions for corrective measures. He can make a positive, if belated impact. Hope we demand nothing less of him. Not many people get this many chances to think through a response and pick the right way to define what kind of man he wants to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Another former player comes forward and clears Peyton. This is why you shouldn't jump to conclusions and judgements based on a one sided story before getting ALL of the facts.

Johnson, a senior linebacker and special teams player in 1996, says he entered the training room and saw Manning leaning with one elbow on a training table while Naughright, then an assistant trainer, examined his foot from behind.

“Saxon walks in, and Peyton was the kind of guy who had to be friendly with everyone; he wanted to include everyone, from his teammates to the cross country guy. He says hey to Saxon and pulls down the back of his shorts, and I saw one butt cheek, and then he pulled his pants up. And Jamie said something like, ‘Aw, you’re an ass.’ Then I left. Thought nothing of it.”

That account aligns with the description of the incident that Naughright provided in a 1996 affadavit, filed as part of an employment discrimination complaint she lodged against the University of Tennessee. The complaint involved more than two dozen allegations of sexual discrimination or harassment, including the training-room incident. In the affidavit, Naughright described Manning as having “pulled his pants down and exposed [his buttocks] to me.” Naughright called a sexual assault hotline in the wake of the incident, per ESPN.

The 2003 document that the Daily News story referenced amplified and significantly changed Naughright’s original depiction of the incident. In that later document she alleges that Manning placed his buttocks, rectum, testicles and “area in between testicles” directly on her face, making physical contact. Manning has consistently denied that any contact took place.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-jamie-naughright-1996-incident-greg-johnson-voicemail

A couple of things:

This whole "what the actual ...." needs to end.

Of equal importance, it is already interesting and will be even more interesting to see the responses to the Peyton Manning allegations in comparison to the Jamais Winston allegations. I don't have a dog in either fight, but based on what is visible on the surface, Peyton's story seems much more damning, but posters who immediately threw Jamais under the bus aren't so sure about Peyton. Hopefully issues of race don't cloud any judgments (although it appears as though Peyton and Archie have already crossed that line).

WTAF are you complaining about?