Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

For most of us, the topic was whether Tommy can and will step up in his fourth year as a starter.

People who believe in taking personal responsibility think Tommy needs to start correcting his own mistakes.

People who believe in big government and the nanny state think it's the coach's duty to coddle and protect the quarterback.

Frankly, CM, I'm a little surprised by the side of the fence you've chosen.

• Fire 2

For most of us, the topic was whether Tommy can and will step up in his fourth year as a starter.

People who believe in taking personal responsibility think Tommy needs to start correcting his own mistakes.

People who believe in big government and the nanny state think it's the coach's duty to coddle and protect the quarterback.

Frankly, CM, I'm a little surprised by the side of the fence you've chosen.

Oh, so taking personal responsibility means assigning blame among others. Interesting spin there, Guy.

As to the rest, your political psychobabble is irrelevant nonsense.

• Fire 3

Since you asked if I played football AF I'll give you my resume. My dad was a football coach who played college football. My uncle was a all state lineman that was recruited by Nebraska and played in college. I was a 4 year starter in highschool. Was a linebacker on the all state football team and played in college for 2 years until 2 major shoulder injury forced me to hang it up. My younger brother was also a all state wide receiver and played in college. So as you can see I actually have been around football my whole life and played at a pretty high level. I'm dying to hear about your vast experience in the game.

My point is that it's pretty low class to bash on a college age kid that is pouring his heart into our football team.

It's always interesting to me that those of us who played CFB tend to be on the same side of these "debates."

And fascinating to me how often you criticize people with vastly more experience than you.

(Last I checked, everyone on Mike Riley's staff played college football. And then some.)

I'm quite sure they would agree with how college athletes should be treated by the masses, including on message boards.

Which is the topic at hand.

Let me guess who +1 this.......

BRV920!!!!

• Fire 3

Yes Guy. You pretty much have summed up Everbody on HB including yourself. I don't claim to know more about X's and O's of football then Mike Riley. I don't agree with his offensive philosophy. But unlike most on this board I have actually played college football and am not just blowing smoke out of my a$$.

• Fire 1

Every Husker quarterback in the history of... ever... has been the recipient of unfair criticisms. It has come with being a college quarterback at a major division one college for decades. But, when it comes to "blame" or whatever other word we may use, the players aren't infallible. The vast majority are legal male adults in the state of Nebraska, capable of making their own big boy mistakes and decisions.

Coaches are obviously the paid professionals and deserve most of the heat, but there is certainly a balance here.

Not saying you can't criticize a player but I think degrading a college kid is low brow.

Where are people degrading him? (I'm not asking that to be argumentative - honestly. I just want to read them myself if you have some post numbers or links I could go look at).

Not saying you can't criticize a player but I think degrading a college kid is low brow.

Where are people degrading him? (I'm not asking that to be argumentative - honestly. I just want to read them myself if you have some post numbers or links I could go look at).

That should pretty much end that tangent.

• Fire 1

That should pretty much end that tangent.

Well, now I ask because degrading, by it's definition, would be akin to a man walking up to a woman, smacking her butt and saying "nice ass." That's degrading, or humiliating, in my opinion. I don't see people humiliating TA here by saying inappropriate things about him or taking their criticisms too far. People are critical of him, but I think degrading is a stretch.

• Fire 1

The post that set me off is in this thread and was by AF Husker. Badmouthing Ryker Ffye. Saying that he sucked at running and sucked as a passer and that it was basically his fault that we lost to Purdue. I'm sure if I spent some time looking through a T mart thread I could fine plenty of stuff belittling him.

The post that set me off is in this thread and was by AF Husker. Badmouthing Ryker Ffye. Saying that he sucked at running and sucked as a passer and that it was basically his fault that we lost to Purdue. I'm sure if I spent some time looking through a T mart thread I could fine plenty of stuff belittling him.

Fair enough. "Sucks" does go a little too far in my book, but the word "degrading" caught me off guard a bit in this context. Thanks for the clarification.