Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

The last meeting of the week, Riley says, belongs to freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien, whom Riley would like to see redshirt this year, despite having a strong spring.

OWH

I kind of hate that idea with a passion. If this happens AJ Bush better be ready to go.

What do you mean? The idea of him redshirting? Why do you hate that idea with a passion?

Because that cements Fyfe as #2 and that makes me more than a tad nervous.

Well, if POB isn't ready to go then he isn't ready to go. I think we all need to be open and accepting of this.

However, I will say that this doesn't mean POB never plays. We've seen it happen in the past where starters get injured and a player has their redshirt pulled. I don't want to see TA go down, but if he does, and it is a serious injury, there's a chance POB could end up getting the nod depending on his development and the point in the season.

The last meeting of the week, Riley says, belongs to freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien, whom Riley would like to see redshirt this year, despite having a strong spring.

OWH

I kind of hate that idea with a passion. If this happens AJ Bush better be ready to go.

What do you mean? The idea of him redshirting? Why do you hate that idea with a passion?

Well, if POB isn't ready to go then he isn't ready to go. I think we all need to be open and accepting of this.

However, I will say that this doesn't mean POB never plays. We've seen it happen in the past where starters get injured and a player has their redshirt pulled. I don't want to see TA go down, but if he does, and it is a serious injury, there's a chance POB could end up getting the nod depending on his development and the point in the season.

Depending on when in the season this would happen, that would be about the worst thing that could happen. If he's redshirting for, say, half the season he wouldn't be getting any reps with the 1s. Then all of the sudden he's playing and wasted a year when he really isn't ready to go because he's been running the scout team for two months.

• Fire 1

OWH

Obviously if POB isn't ready to go, he shouldn't play. But what good does it do to have Fyfe come in for mop up duty, I would rather be grooming POB and get him some valuable playing time should TA go down.

OWH

Depending on when in the season this would happen, that would be about the worst thing that could happen. If he's redshirting for, say, half the season he wouldn't be getting any reps with the 1s. Then all of the sudden he's playing and wasted a year when he really isn't ready to go because he's been running the scout team for two months.

That's an accommodation I'll afford the coaches. Timing is always critical - but, these types of things have happened at other universities. As always, my fall back is to play whichever guy they believe gives us the best chance to win.

OWH

That's an accommodation I'll afford the coaches. Timing is always critical - but, these types of things have happened at other universities. As always, my fall back is to play whichever guy they believe gives us the best chance to win.

If you mean starter it has nothing to do with that for me. It's TA regardless.

But shoulf he go down, like a lot of Seniors tend to do here recently, it would be nice to have POB ready to take the reigns. To do that I would prefer he get reps instead of learning on the fly.

OWH

Obviously if POB isn't ready to go, he shouldn't play. But what good does it do to have Fyfe come in for mop up duty, I would rather be grooming POB and get him some valuable playing time should TA go down.

From a logistical standpoint, that really only makes sense or is worthwhile if you're in a position to have mop-up duty. I don't think Nebraska is going to blow many teams out this year, which means TA is going to see the vast majority of available snaps (barring an injury).

Is a spattering of mop up duty snaps really worth burning through a year of eligibility? In my opinion, no. And I also highly doubt POB will be in any sort of position to warrant playing a meaningful series or two early in games.

You are clearly more comfortable with Fyfe as a backup than I am.

Well you better get used to it because Fyfe is a better quarterback at Nebraska than POB...

Otherwise POB would be the second string quarterback... set in stone.

There is nothing in the quotes above that would indicate that POB is better than Fyfe or that he's even ready to play at all... under any circumstance.

I don't look at it as a level of comfort, more the reality of the situation. TA and Fyfe have a very good foothold on the #1 and #2 spots, so barring injury, or an incredible amount of development on POB's behalf, TA and Fyfe are going to see all or most of the snaps this year.

And few coaches are going to burn their highly touted freshman's redshirt just to see a small portion of relatively pointless snaps.

I don't look at it as a level of comfort, more the reality of the situation. TA and Fyfe have a very good foothold on the #1 and #2 spots, so barring injury, or an incredible amount of development on POB's behalf, TA and Fyfe are going to see all or most of the snaps this year.

And few coaches are going to burn their highly touted freshman's redshirt just to see a small portion of relatively pointless snaps.

Next year Tommy and Fyfe are both gone. Redshirting POB means 0 QB's on the roster have any actual playing experience.

And it's not like we don't have an even higher touted QB coming in next year plus a transfer.

Next year Tommy and Fyfe are both gone. Redshirting POB means 0 QB's on the roster have any actual playing experience.

And it's not like we don't have an even higher touted QB coming in next year plus a transfer.

Your second paragraph contradicts your first.

good point, development would be wise.

Your second paragraph contradicts your first.

A bit, yes. I would counter that the actual playing time he has pales in comparison to what will be asked of him here. But yes he will have playing time elsewhere in a different system.

My point still stands, if POB and Gebbia are to be the future at QB it would be nice for one of them to have game experience.

I tend to agree with the sentiments that going into next year (2017) with absolutely zero QBs with any signficant playing experience at Nebraska, then it is very troubling. While I know so many argue that practice reps are as good as game snaps, I just don't agree. Many (most as far as i can recall) coaches will cite game experience as being so important and valuable. Often, saying a QB has a full season of starting 12 games but NO bowl or championship game experience is a possible issue.

Therefore, I lean toward the notion that redshirting your mostly likely starter in 2017 (POB) to save a season of eligibility in 2020 is 'ify' strategy unless POB is recovering from an undisclosed injury or other similar issue. To say he is clearly the 4th string QB after having a whopping total of 14 practices (about 4 or so were in full pads, etc) is not suprising, comparing him to two SENIORS and a shophomore who all have a full year of time in the Riley system. But by the time we are playing the first week of October, 2016, POB will have had another 35 practices and have 6 more months of study and film and all summer of passing leagues, etc. Those months will be much more productive than the first couple months of getting adjusted to college life, school, etc. If the coaches put POB on the scout team, I sure hope our scout team gets plenty of reps in OUR offense and the kinds of defenses we will be facing. Come Sept 1, 2017, we as fans rightfully expect that by season 3 of the Riley era, the QB will know the offense fully and be ready to lead the team to victories over each and every one of our opponents. No more 'rebuilding' and the future is still a year or two away excuses - in my view. We are rebuilding and laying the foundation in years ONE and TWO so THREE we are ready to compete seriously.

POB and the staff need to determine which option will help him develop better for the 2017 season.

Our depth in 2020 > 2016 (thinking POB would be focusing on becoming the early starter over what he can do with an extra year - 4 years from now)