Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

I think we know what TA is...I think we know what we will get out of him this year. It is not great but it is not horrible either. Some players just "are who they are" and sure there was always the cry that the old staff did not know how to coach QB's but I think it was safe to say that they got the most out of TA as they could just like this staff did last year.

For the most part that is probably true and I would be okay with that. Really if we get similar production with a few less turnovers, a little better snap judgement decisions and more freedom to run he is gonna have a great year.

Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf is subtly pushing for more from starting quarterback Tommy Armstrong. You sense it in the comments Langsdorf makes about Armstrong — efficient, but needs to keep working — and the effusive praise he’s heaped on true freshman Patrick O’Brien. Rarely have several checkdowns received such warmth as a handful of O’Brien’s did after Thursday’s practice.

“That takes a long time for some of those quarterbacks — takes them even a couple years to do that,” Langsdorf said. “So the fact that he’s doing that already is really good.”
The undercurrent there: Armstrong has to throw to his safest option more often. Throughout Armstrong’s career, he’s overlooked the back in the flat for the big throw downfield. This has been true again, at times, in spring camp. That tendency, honed over three seasons, has led to what some fans and message board activists call “Good Tommy” and “Bad Tommy.” I think Armstrong could benefit from an elite defense that he’s never really had the luxury of enjoying, but since he probably won’t get that in 2016, better to take care of the ball.
O’Brien has thrown the ball OK. He did have a beauty Thursday, a deep sideline pass thrown right into a receiver’s arms, but he’s been so-so on the shorter, timing stuff. O’Brien is pretty careful with not throwing interceptions, though. At least he has been thus far.

OWH

Without taking too much away from the spring fluff, it sounds like TA is slightly improving from his tendencies.

Realistically speaking, I think the best we can hope for out of TA in 2016 is a 58 percent completion percentage, around 3,000 yards passing, and maybe a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. Perhaps he could improve on the ratio and make it something like 25 TD/10 INT's, but we'll see.

POB seems to be setting a good foundation for himself, which is great for this early in his career.

For those following spring ball closely, have they done a full on scrimmage or has it mostly been drills and just minor scrimmaging thus far?

Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf is subtly pushing for more from starting quarterback Tommy Armstrong. You sense it in the comments Langsdorf makes about Armstrong — efficient, but needs to keep working — and the effusive praise he’s heaped on true freshman Patrick O’Brien. Rarely have several checkdowns received such warmth as a handful of O’Brien’s did after Thursday’s practice.

“That takes a long time for some of those quarterbacks — takes them even a couple years to do that,” Langsdorf said. “So the fact that he’s doing that already is really good.”
The undercurrent there: Armstrong has to throw to his safest option more often. Throughout Armstrong’s career, he’s overlooked the back in the flat for the big throw downfield. This has been true again, at times, in spring camp. That tendency, honed over three seasons, has led to what some fans and message board activists call “Good Tommy” and “Bad Tommy.” I think Armstrong could benefit from an elite defense that he’s never really had the luxury of enjoying, but since he probably won’t get that in 2016, better to take care of the ball.
O’Brien has thrown the ball OK. He did have a beauty Thursday, a deep sideline pass thrown right into a receiver’s arms, but he’s been so-so on the shorter, timing stuff. O’Brien is pretty careful with not throwing interceptions, though. At least he has been thus far.

OWH

I personally believe that Tommy has been conditioned to go for the big gain. Conditioned by several things. 1. His redshirt year watching TM lead multiple come from behind wins. 2. The 2014 come from behind almost win at Michigan State, the win at Iowa. The near come from behind almost win against USC (never mind the 4 dropped INT's that would have made that a USC blow out. 3. The '15 Miami come from behind almost win. All games (with the possible exception of USC) in which he had to resort to playground tactics to win or put the team in position to win. 4. The ability of his WR corps to go get the ball against average to decent but not great corners. Couple that with not being able to rely on the defense to get critical stops last year and I can see where he would have a tendency to sling it up for grabs at times.

Can he unlearn that? Who knows, but perhaps if the defense continues to improve and he doesn't feel that he has to score every time the offense has the ball, he won't force things. We'll see.

For those following spring ball closely, have they done a full on scrimmage or has it mostly been drills and just minor scrimmaging thus far?

I don't remember hearing much about scrimmages. I don't think they've done a lot of "live" work in general. But there aren't a lot of practices open to the media so they might not have seen it. But I don't think so.

Frankly, compared to most years that I remember paying close attention, there is virtually NO NEWS coming out of spring ball. Hardly any articles discussing the play or plays of individual players or units vs other units, etc. We are seeing and hearing nothing really. I live far away and don't get to read the Lincoln or Omaha papers of course but I check the articles and there seems to be almost nothing. We are past half way through spring ball and NOTHING tangible. Rather odd. Perhaps it is Riley keepingthe lid on things to avoid (he wishes) the typical wild speculation and rumors and controversy such as how POB is outgunning TA or the RBs all seem to have fumbleitis. LOL

Perhaps we should just assume we are playing so extremely well there is simply nothing to discuss. All perfect. ????

Frankly, compared to most years that I remember paying close attention, there is virtually NO NEWS coming out of spring ball. Hardly any articles discussing the play or plays of individual players or units vs other units, etc. We are seeing and hearing nothing really. I live far away and don't get to read the Lincoln or Omaha papers of course but I check the articles and there seems to be almost nothing. We are past half way through spring ball and NOTHING tangible. Rather odd. Perhaps it is Riley keepingthe lid on things to avoid (he wishes) the typical wild speculation and rumors and controversy such as how POB is outgunning TA or the RBs all seem to have fumbleitis. LOL

Perhaps we should just assume we are playing so extremely well there is simply nothing to discuss. All perfect. ????

The press have been allowed to attend half of the practices and there have been several stories with their impressions, many of which have been posted in various threads here. Overall not a lot of drama. At QB TA is clearly the #1 and has really good sessions, but he still has moments where he forces the ball and Langs has been really pushing him hard on being a better decision maker; overall impression of TA has been decent though it seems and POB seems to have the potential, but has some development to do.

On Oline, the young pups are pushing for jobs on the interior, and that would be a good thing IMO. Big ? at RT, Knevel needs to prove he is the guy.

At IB, we have heard the most about Wilbon and Ozigbo, but Newby stills seems to be up there as well as #1 back, even if just barely.

WRs seem to be having a good Spring, but soft tissue injuries have started to recently spring up again.

Dline has gotten good reviews for the interior line play, DT seems to be a strength this year. McMullen sliding inside was a good move and Parrella has been pushing him hard to get the most out of GM. DE is still a ?, but Freedom has been pretty good and may be ready to be an impact player. Lots of potential otherwise that needs to be realized behind him and at other DE spot.

LBs and DBs having a pretty good Spring overall. CBs, especially Kalu, standing out.