Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

He needs to be Foster Farms Tommy Armstrong.

Although keen viewers might have noticed he pulled the same Illinois brain fart against UCLA. Fourth quarter, designed QB zone read keeper, and he panicked at the first linebacker and threw an unexpected pass to an unexpecting receiver.

He got away with it that game.

An improved Tommy will obviously be a key to a better season, but the emergence of a featured running back and a defense that doesn't give up 28 points a game could make the same Tommy Armstrong look considerable better.

Langsdorf on Armstrong: “He’s got to make the throws we want him to make and not try to do too much.” #huskers

damn Langes.......maybe the throws you want him to make ARE too much?

Seems more likely over the last two seasons and two different OCs that Tommy is actually avoiding the higher percentage passes and insisting on the gunslinger throws himself. Hence "trying to do too much."

The Tommy who is allowed to do whatever he wants and play to his strengths is a fun player to watch, but also a bunch of mistakes just waiting to happen.

If he didn't get the memo last year, he won't get it this year.

Unless he feels his job is genuinely threatened.

Could be interesting.

my only comment is by now, Langes should know what throws TA can make and how to coach him out of throwing high risk balls.......i would have the guy in the film room, everyday, reviewing his passing from last season. the good and the bad.

Langsdorf on Armstrong: “He’s got to make the throws we want him to make and not try to do too much.” #huskers

damn Langes.......maybe the throws you want him to make ARE too much?

Seems more likely over the last two seasons and two different OCs that Tommy is actually avoiding the higher percentage passes and insisting on the gunslinger throws himself. Hence "trying to do too much."

The Tommy who is allowed to do whatever he wants and play to his strengths is a fun player to watch, but also a bunch of mistakes just waiting to happen.

If he didn't get the memo last year, he won't get it this year.

Unless he feels his job is genuinely threatened.

Could be interesting.

my only comment is by now, Langes should know what throws TA can make and how to coach him out of throwing high risk balls.......i would have the guy in the film room, everyday, reviewing his passing from last season. the good and the bad.

who is langes?

Nebraska will be working on two different fields with a top group and a secondary group. Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe will be with the top group, while A.J. Bush, Zack Darlington and Patrick O'Brien will be with the second group. Armstrong and Fyfe are the only two quarterbacks in Nebraska's program to take meaningful snaps in a college football game.

OWH

This is interesting. Has NU done this in the past? Looks like a good way for guys deeper on the depth chart to get some work and improve. It creates more opportunities for everyone.

You know what will help TA more than anything? A commitment to the run game. Force teams to bring a safety into the box in run support. (Or spy TA). This opens up 1-1 coverage somewhere on the field. IMO, I prefer TA throwing into 1-1 vs triple coverage.

I prefer ANY quarterback to throw into 1 vs 1 over 1 vs 3...

I prefer opposing quarterbacks to throw into triple coverage as opposed to 1 on 1.

I have to admit I hadn't considered this and I agree. +1 :)

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Ship has sailed on TA, IMO. He is what he is and I don't see him improving in terms of being a better passing QB/decision maker.

I have to agree with this. IMO TA is the starter all year unless he is injured. I just hope Langs limits the number of throws, and encourages TA to take off running. TA is a special player when he runs. I would rather have the coaches tell him to run if his primary receiver is not open rather than have him check down.

Wasn't there a press conference where one of the coaches said they'd been telling Armstrong to run more often instead of going for a home run? I seem to recall something to the effect.

Nebraska will be working on two different fields with a top group and a secondary group. Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe will be with the top group, while A.J. Bush, Zack Darlington and Patrick O'Brien will be with the second group. Armstrong and Fyfe are the only two quarterbacks in Nebraska's program to take meaningful snaps in a college football game.

OWH

This is interesting. Has NU done this in the past? Looks like a good way for guys deeper on the depth chart to get some work and improve. It creates more opportunities for everyone.
Yes, Riley ran 2 groups last year as well as a way to manage the larger roster. IIRC though, the 2 groups last year actually practiced at different times so the coaches could work with and evaluate everyone.

OWH

Yes, Riley ran 2 groups last year as well as a way to manage the larger roster. IIRC though, the 2 groups last year actually practiced at different times so the coaches could work with and evaluate everyone.

Are they practicing at different times again this year?

Tebow worked because they had a specific package of plays tailored to his mobile skill set. In our scenario, you have Tommy as the past starter and POB the young, untested kid with polar opposite skill sets and POB's aren't a gadget skill set like Tebow had that Florida used his first year.

If Tommy is the starter, the offense will be vastly different than a POB offense. Trying to get him time, just for the sake of time will erode any identity the offense could have. There's no gray area in 2016. We either tailor the offense to Tommy or go all in on POB as a true freshmen.

I have never been the greatest TA fan, have never quite seen what most have, but you dance with who brought you this year. POB most likely is not ready, you set Tommy and it doesn't work, you have to retool the offense back again. A lot of wasted time in the fall it would seem. Tommy proved in the UCLA game he can do what is needed, he may have finally figured some things out. Give him the opportunity to show it, Redshirt POB, because if you truly need him, it is going to be too late for it to work.