Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

I hope everyone remembers this.

I'll disagree with his last sentence in the blog article. The problem with TM wasn't his being a freshman (certainly there were a few ugly looking passes due to his poor mechanics). His issue(s) started with being an injured freshman. Before the injury, he was so explosive that he more than made up for his short-comings.

• Fire 3

I have let go of the idea that POB beats our TA this year. It' just not plausible at this point. TA will look good heading into the season, retain the job and hopefully he will maintain that mojo and have a stellar senior season.

POB has a lot of work to do to even become the backup this season. But here is the thing some are forgetting. Why were some of us so ready to write TA off and claim POB our next QB? Because TA does this thing where he looks awesome then struggles against himself. TA wasn't built for this offense and it wasn't built with an athlete like him in mind. It isn't a perfect match, the biggest thing going for it is his experience as a starter and an extra year in the system. One week he looks like he finally gets it. The next he can't move the chains against Illinois.

The Jekkel and Hyde TA can't deliver us a division title in 2016. Neither can Fyfe or POB for that matter unless both make crazy big strides come September. We need a big send off year from TA to reach the dance, it's time he fulfills that destiny.

Good points. I'd also like to add people see the young freshman QB's at other universities and hope for much of the same in their own backyard. Often times, however, freshman quarterbacks simply aren't ready to play.

The best part about all of this, though, is that he getting a ton of extra practice time in this spring. Playbook knowledge, he'll build some chemistry with teammates, he'll play with college speed, etc. Tons of benefits of that for years down the road even if it doesn't amount to him playing much if at all this year.

^ We expect to hear this, and I don't wanna buy in that easy...

POB FOR HEISMAN 2017 BABY! WOOOOOOOOOOOO! GO BIG RED! NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP QB!

I didn't get a chance to listen to the full segment as I had a meeting to go to, but DB didn't sound very impressed at first look on SAT. Didn't see a lot of tight spiral throws he was saying, wasn't sure if he was implying that the arm strength wasn't as advertised or something.

"Underwhelmed" is the term DB used, I believe.

He didn't expand on it much more than what you heard; but, for those who didn't hear the segment, DB was not really impressed with POB's ability to throw during one specific drill. The QBs were doing stem route drills throwing from one set of hashmarks across the field to the numbers (about 20 yards), and DB basically said POB didn't have a lot of mustard on the throws. They weren't very tight spirals.

There are obviously a lot of things to take into context here - as DB admitted, it's just one practice. Furthermore, that's one of the more difficult throws to make in football.

^ We expect to hear this, and I don't wanna buy in that easy...

POB FOR HEISMAN 2017 BABY! WOOOOOOOOOOOO! GO BIG RED! NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP QB!

I didn't get a chance to listen to the full segment as I had a meeting to go to, but DB didn't sound very impressed at first look on SAT. Didn't see a lot of tight spiral throws he was saying, wasn't sure if he was implying that the arm strength wasn't as advertised or something.

"Underwhelmed" is the term DB used, I believe.

He didn't expand on it much more than what you heard; but, for those who didn't hear the segment, DB was not really impressed with POB's ability to throw during one specific drill. The QBs were doing stem route drills throwing from one set of hashmarks across the field to the numbers (about 20 yards), and DB basically said POB didn't have a lot of mustard on the throws. They weren't very tight spirals.

There are obviously a lot of things to take into context here - as DB admitted, it's just one practice. Furthermore, that's one of the more difficult throws to make in football.

Yeah, I feel like we may be over-analyzing this. It's one drill, in one practice, on his what, second day? If we start hearing this consistently, then I might be concerned. Seems like most other analysts aren't blown away with his ability, but definitely not "underwhelmed".

"He's made some great throws," Langsdorf said. "We felt like that's what he had recruiting him. We thought he could do that and he's shown that, proven that. I think he's looked really comfortable already. We're early, so we've got a long ways to go, but we've got to get him running with some of the better groups. I'm pleased with him. I think he's confident and smart. He's doing a nice job of being able to make the transition already."

Langsdorf said O'Brien "asks great questions and get extra work."

"He's kind of a gym rat that way," Langsdorf said. "He likes hanging around the office."

OWH

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Ship has sailed on TA, IMO. He is what he is and I don't see him improving in terms of being a better passing QB/decision maker.

I have to agree with this. IMO TA is the starter all year unless he is injured. I just hope Langs limits the number of throws, and encourages TA to take off running. TA is a special player when he runs. I would rather have the coaches tell him to run if his primary receiver is not open rather than have him check down.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Ship has sailed on TA, IMO. He is what he is and I don't see him improving in terms of being a better passing QB/decision maker.

I have to agree with this. IMO TA is the starter all year unless he is injured. I just hope Langs limits the number of throws, and encourages TA to take off running. TA is a special player when he runs. I would rather have the coaches tell him to run if his primary receiver is not open rather than have him check down.

I would just hope they play a bit more to TA's strengths, kind of like you mentioned.

We threw the ball a lot last year I think out of necessity but also out of preference. Our lines didn't block very well at times last year and we didn't have a true #1 back, and then to top it all off, you have a staff that likes a strong passing game. But, how many games did we see 15-20 passes hit the turf? How many times did a guy like Jano, who I thought proved his worth time and again, not see any carries? At some point, you do have to commit a bit more to the run game and, in my opinion, I'd rather gain a few yards and punt than gain zero yards and punt. When 15-20 passes hit the turf you're essentially negating a quarter of the plays you run.

• Fire 2

Langsdorf on Armstrong: “He’s got to make the throws we want him to make and not try to do too much.” #huskers

damn Langes.......maybe the throws you want him to make ARE too much?

Seems more likely over the last two seasons and two different OCs that Tommy is actually avoiding the higher percentage passes and insisting on the gunslinger throws himself. Hence "trying to do too much."

The Tommy who is allowed to do whatever he wants and play to his strengths is a fun player to watch, but also a bunch of mistakes just waiting to happen.

If he didn't get the memo last year, he won't get it this year.

Unless he feels his job is genuinely threatened.

Could be interesting.