Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

We can't seriously be trying to advance the argument that Ryker Fyfe was anywhere close to the QB that Tommy was last year.

/shrug

In all fairness I think Ryker could be the better passer if he worked on his decision making skills. His biggest problem that I saw while he was on the field was throwing to the wrong guys. Of course that's one of Tommy's biggest issues also.

247: Five Offensive Players to Watch

Patrick O’Brien

Well duh. He’s going to get as much attention as he could possibly ask for over the next five weeks. Every throw. Every completion. Every deep ball. Every interception. It’ll be studied, analyzed, praised, ridiculed. Talk about growing up fast.
O’Brien isn’t likely to start 2016 as Nebraska’s number one quarterback but his job is to prepare himself for that situation. The Huskers have an offense that relies on timing and the ability to read defenses, two areas he excelled at in high school. Will the learning curve be steep? Definitely, but O’Brien knows all eyes will be everything he does.

There's no way O'Brien learns the offense well, adjusts to the speed of the game, learns how to read college level defenses, learns all the terminology, learns how to go through multiple progressions, and takes snaps under center... well enough and fast enough to make better decisions than Tommy and start over him this fall. There's just no way. He needs to be eased into the game and pressure this year so he will be exposed to enough to build next offseason and take the reigns next year.

There's no way O'Brien learns the offense well, adjusts to the speed of the game, learns how to read college level defenses, learns all the terminology, learns how to go through multiple progressions, and takes snaps under center... well enough and fast enough to make better decisions than Tommy and start over him this fall. There's just no way. He needs to be eased into the game and pressure this year so he will be exposed to enough to build next offseason and take the reigns next year.

This isn't exactly that high of a bar to get over. I don't know if he *will* start over him. But to say there's no way before he's even had one practice is pretty naive.

You know what will help TA more than anything? A commitment to the run game. Force teams to bring a safety into the box in run support. (Or spy TA). This opens up 1-1 coverage somewhere on the field. IMO, I prefer TA throwing into 1-1 vs triple coverage.

I prefer ANY quarterback to throw into 1 vs 1 over 1 vs 3...

Would like to see POB get one series a game or one a half to prep him for 2017. PInKle has done this in the past Wirth pretty good long term success. Seems to me that Chase Daniel did this as a freshman even though they had a 3 yr starter returning

The guy hasn't even seen the live play in practice and he's already getting a series a game... No, there might not be a 2017 for the coaches if we play like we did last year, with a much less forgiving schedule.

I have seen absolutely nothing that shows me that TA wasn't the best QB on the team last and now.

Well ... actually Fyfe completed over 60% on his passes in both games he played in. TA only did that in 4 out of the 12 games he played in.

Fyfe threw for 407 yards against Purdue, about 40 yards better than TA's best outing.

And Fyfe's 1.0 TD/INT ratio isn't that much different from TA's 1.3.

So......

PURDUE

Total D - 111th

Pass D - 90th

Rush D - 109th

Scoring D - 112th

giphy.gif

I have seen absolutely nothing that shows me that TA wasn't the best QB on the team last and now.

Well ... actually Fyfe completed over 60% on his passes in both games he played in. TA only did that in 4 out of the 12 games he played in.

Fyfe threw for 407 yards against Purdue, about 40 yards better than TA's best outing.

And Fyfe's 1.0 TD/INT ratio isn't that much different from TA's 1.3.

So......

PURDUE

Total D - 111th

Pass D - 90th

Rush D - 109th

Scoring D - 112th

giphy.gif

And...like...2 wins in conference in the last 3 seasons? Oh...and they were up by 30 so NU was throwing and throwing.

The thought process on the Purdue game is going down in NU history as one of the oddest thought of games ever.

Josh Rosen says hello.

He could start year one, but I want tommy because of his experience. if we get in a tight spot Tommy gives us the best chance to win.

That's just the way it is.

I believe that when a team finishes 6-7 for the year there is NO position, and particularly QB, that is 'established' and to say that Patrick OBrien is not going to be in the serious running to be the starting QB by fall is simply wrong. Or, in my view, it should be wrong. Tommy Armstrong did good things and bad things last year and the year before and the year before that. His annual numbers and performances have been steady and mediocre most often. He is surely not to be considered a clear starter. If he is by far and away our best QB simply says we have almost NO QB talent at all. Tommy is NOT an all conference or even honorable mention level player based on three straight years of average play. He is mistake prone and while capable of making great plays he can turn a solid drive into a disaster. POB should be a strong candidate for playing time or his recruitiment should be viewed as a disappointment.