It makes me wonder if there is a draw outside of sporting events or concerts. Does it get the young croud there on the weekend when no sporting events are going on?

My guess is that most of the college kids would not go just because of the cost. I mean 6 dollars for a beer or 6 dollars for a pitcher on O street.

I haven't been to the Haymarket area since it opened, only because I haven't made a trip back to Nebraska. My guess is that the bars and restaurants in that area are too expensive for the college kids, and even recent graduates.

The people in the late 20s and 30s that would typically go to those places probably live out in the suburbia, so they probably aren't going to make the drive downtown unless there is an event going on.

I haven't been to the Haymarket area since it opened, only because I haven't made a trip back to Nebraska. My guess is that the bars and restaurants in that area are too expensive for the college kids, and even recent graduates.

The people in the late 20s and 30s that would typically go to those places probably live out in the suburbia, so they probably aren't going to make the drive downtown unless there is an event going on.

I agree. I wonder if they overestimated the amount that game days would bring in for their business on top of overestimating what regular days would be like.

Not been in the haymarket area in several years (pre arena I guess) and although I am sure it is a lively 'packed' area for football weekends (of course you need a winning team to really pack in the spenders), football weekends won't support a year round establishment that needs a good crowd every night. High rents won't last and the newness will wear off and rents will drop to a more reasonable level. I would guess it will follow the upcoming season. If the team resumes a ten or eleven win season, then the ticket prices will recover and so will the businesses that are able to hold on.

No doubt, if the prices are unduly expensive, the college crowds won't be in there buying loads of drinks. My experience is that today's young people go the bars AFTER having loaded up on several drinks / beers from the fridge they bought in bulk at the cheapest liquor place in town or the c store or walmart. Bar per drink prices really jumped in the past 7 years I understand. Pregame beers used to be about $2 each (not that long ago and inflation in beer prices is not like healthcare). So if they are charging $5 or $6 or more, then the place is overpricing the market and hurting themselves. I am very familiary with the bar business as family has owned and operated several and been partners in one of Lincoln's most popular Husker bars. The bar business has not been anything like it used to be when drinking age raised to 21 and the heavy handed crack down on DUI, etc.

I absolutely love this area. The changes that were made when the arena went in are fantastic. I've had multiple people tell me that when down there, it doesn't even feel like you are in the old Lincoln downtown.

I hope they all can make it work.

I agree...the area is amazing. I thought it would just be printing cash.

I think it will work itself out. Right now they probably really so much on event traffic and aren't getting the day to day traffic they wanted. The more offices and residential that fills in on the west side of DTL they will get better traffic on the slower nights. Hudl building a new HQ building and a new 12 story building on 9th and O will hopefully help.