Next year...

Won't all the other teams that had freshmen be better too?

To answer your question:

if you are saying the team will be better - that depends on who they loss as seniors

if you are saying will the freshman get better - then YES

However, Do all teams in the Big Ten have as many freshman in key spots as NU.

Freshman or not, the point is other teams will get "better" as well. So, you have to ask yourself this... Do you think our freshman will improve that much that they can overcome other teams players growth? Also, is our coaches good enough to develop our players enough to matter?

I say, no, Tim is not good enough to do just that. The freshman have gotten better this year, true, but it has been fairly normal improvement. What I mean is the improvement is normal for freshman that are playing as much as they are.

Phil Beckner

"Phil is one of the best player development coaches I have ever worked with. His knowledge of the game and his ability to motivate players truly separates him. I still train with him every off season and I'm better because of it. I've never met someone who is as passionate as him about getting the absolute best out of people and not just on the court. I would not have made the changes I made as far as maturity goes nor would I be in the NBA if I hadn't met Phil... And that's real"

-- Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard

Well holy crap, Damain Lillard (a former player of his from Weber State) thinks Phil is the bees knees.. All kidding aside, I hope he is all that.

Didn't we see a few times our team had a real lack of motivation? just recently as a matter of fact. Even Tim admitted it.

Won't all the other teams that had freshmen be better too?

To answer your question:

if you are saying the team will be better - that depends on who they loss as seniors

if you are saying will the freshman get better - then YES

However, Do all teams in the Big Ten have as many freshman in key spots as NU.

Freshman or not, the point is other teams will get "better" as well. So, you have to ask yourself this... Do you think our freshman will improve that much that they can overcome other teams players growth? Also, is our coaches good enough to develop our players enough to matter?

I say, no, Tim is not good enough to do just that. The freshman have gotten better this year, true, but it has been fairly normal improvement. What I mean is the improvement is normal for freshman that are playing as much as they are.

Phil Beckner

"Phil is one of the best player development coaches I have ever worked with. His knowledge of the game and his ability to motivate players truly separates him. I still train with him every off season and I'm better because of it. I've never met someone who is as passionate as him about getting the absolute best out of people and not just on the court. I would not have made the changes I made as far as maturity goes nor would I be in the NBA if I hadn't met Phil... And that's real"

-- Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard

Well holy crap, Damain Lillard (a former player of his from Weber State) thinks Phil is the bees knees.. All kidding aside, I hope he is all that.

Didn't we see a few times our team had a real lack of motivation? just recently as a matter of fact. Even Tim admitted it.

He could train with anyone and he picks Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my two cents as someone who played ball all my life. Our lack of big men is requiring guys to have to play out of position and out of skillet. This creates size advantages for opponents in the paint and is a glaring weakness of our team. An ideal line up that would secure us a lot more wins would look like this:

1 - Glynn Watson, find another good guard to backup Glynn. Bakari is servicible at best and is not up to par on his defense yet.

2 - Tai Webster/Anton Gill - this is a solid group. Tai has improved dramatically over the past year and has a good game driving to the hoop. His problem is his confidence in taking shots. He always passes up open looks. If he can learn to drive to draw the foul and improve his FT percentage, that's a game we need him to have for us next year. Anton was a heck of a prospect coming out of high school and never saw time at Louisville, stuck behind a bunch of Pro prospect upperclassmen.

3 - Andrew White/Jack McVeigh/Isaiah Roby - all of these guys can shoot the 3. Andrew is probably the best shot at an inside game at this point out of these 3. Jack will get better next year after he adds some strength in the weight room and some mass so he doesn't get pushed around so much. He also needs to mentally take a step.

4 - Ed Morrow/Michael Jacobson - this is the spot both of these guys should be playing at. This is also where they will play best. We need to free them up to play here so we can optimize their skill sets. I believe Ed is a heck of a player ready to erupt if he can get the mental part down and heal from his back and plantar injury pains.

5 - ??? We literally have no one here. We desperately need a physically developed transfer with coordination and athleticism as well as a freshman who can play some minutes next year. This guy needs to be 6'10" or taller or 6'9" with a long wing span and some mass to him. Our inside guys get pushed around and are huge size mismatches. Miles knows the 5 spot is a glaring need and he knows it's what is holding us back from wins.

This team is set up to do very well this season if we can find 2 big men. The talent level is the highest it has been in 30 years. We have 5 top 100 four star recruits, 1 top 150 player nearly a 4* and a couple of under rated guys waiting to breakout. There is no reason with this much talent we can't make the tournament... unless we fail to bring in a big man. That is enough to hold us back.

Here's my two cents as someone who played ball all my life. Our lack of big men is requiring guys to have to play out of position and out of skillet. This creates size advantages for opponents in the paint and is a glaring weakness of our team. An ideal line up that would secure us a lot more wins would look like this:

1 - Glynn Watson, find another good guard to backup Glynn. Bakari is servicible at best and is not up to par on his defense yet.

2 - Tai Webster/Anton Gill - this is a solid group. Tai has improved dramatically over the past year and has a good game driving to the hoop. His problem is his confidence in taking shots. He always passes up open looks. If he can learn to drive to draw the foul and improve his FT percentage, that's a game we need him to have for us next year. Anton was a heck of a prospect coming out of high school and never saw time at Louisville, stuck behind a bunch of Pro prospect upperclassmen.

3 - Andrew White/Jack McVeigh/Isaiah Roby - all of these guys can shoot the 3. Andrew is probably the best shot at an inside game at this point out of these 3. Jack will get better next year after he adds some strength in the weight room and some mass so he doesn't get pushed around so much. He also needs to mentally take a step.

4 - Ed Morrow/Michael Jacobson - this is the spot both of these guys should be playing at. This is also where they will play best. We need to free them up to play here so we can optimize their skill sets. I believe Ed is a heck of a player ready to erupt if he can get the mental part down and heal from his back and plantar injury pains.

5 - ??? We literally have no one here. We desperately need a physically developed transfer with coordination and athleticism as well as a freshman who can play some minutes next year. This guy needs to be 6'10" or taller or 6'9" with a long wing span and some mass to him. Our inside guys get pushed around and are huge size mismatches. Miles knows the 5 spot is a glaring need and he knows it's what is holding us back from wins.

This team is set up to do very well this season if we can find 2 big men. The talent level is the highest it has been in 30 years. We have 5 top 100 four star recruits, 1 top 150 player nearly a 4* and a couple of under rated guys waiting to breakout. There is no reason with this much talent we can't make the tournament... unless we fail to bring in a big man. That is enough to hold us back.

I agree....especially with your last paragraph. Compared to what we are used to seeing on the Nebraska team, this team has a LOT of talent.

Just need the final piece/pieces.

I agree....especially with your last paragraph. Compared to what we are used to seeing on the Nebraska team, this team has a LOT of talent.

Really? So you're not trading the guys we have now for Erick Strickland, Jaron Boone, Mikki Moore, Terrance Badgett, Eric Piatkowski, Tyronn Lue, Alvin Mitchell, Venson Hamilton, Cookie Belcher, etc., etc., etc.???

Heck, even the 03-04 team of Dourisseau, Muhleisen, Conklin and Drevo would probably handle this team because they could go 6-11, 6-10, 6-9, 6-8.

The talent we have at the 1-3 spots is probably the best we've had in 20 years. But the overall talent is average at best.

You don't go 6-12 in the conference with the most talent you've had in 30 years. If that's true, Miles should absolutely be fired right now.

The coaches see Jacobson as a 3. That's why he was taking more 3s as the year went on. I'm not sure I see it but that's what they said.

I love Morrow but he's a 4 in a 3's body. He's a tweener who lives on pure effort.

Really? So you're not trading the guys we have now for Erick Strickland, Jaron Boone, Mikki Moore, Terrance Badgett, Eric Piatkowski, Tyronn Lue, Alvin Mitchell, Venson Hamilton, Cookie Belcher, etc., etc., etc.???

Heck, even the 03-04 team of Dourisseau, Muhleisen, Conklin and Drevo would probably handle this team because they could go 6-11, 6-10, 6-9, 6-8.

The talent we have at the 1-3 spots is probably the best we've had in 20 years. But the overall talent is average at best.

You don't go 6-12 in the conference with the most talent you've had in 30 years. If that's true, Miles should absolutely be fired right now.

Did ALL those guys play on the same team?

Sounds like we got some fans thinking the Huskers win 25 games next year! (Relax, I know that was not posted so please save the "Show me exactly where I said that" post)

The thing is this...if NU is so freaking talented next season and they end up sucking that means it is on Miles...right?

The coaches see Jacobson as a 3. That's why he was taking more 3s as the year went on. I'm not sure I see it but that's what they said.

I love Morrow but he's a 4 in a 3's body. He's a tweener who lives on pure effort.

What? Jacobsen is not a 3 and has never been seen as a 3. When have the coaches ever said that?