Next year...

What is the biggest factor for feeling that Miles is not on a hot seat?

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

If I had to take a guess i would say it's his personality. Now that Shields will graduate i believe Tai is the only player remaining that was on the roster for the trip to the dance.

Miles basically caught lightening in a bottle with that group. Pettaway and Pitchford were shooting the lights out and they were getting enough from Shields to help keep defenses honest. Pair that with getting stops on the other end and thats a recipe for success.

I think the biggest thing that will help Miles is find something your team is really good at and go with it. Whether that be you get out and run and try to get as many possessions as possible or even slowing it down and locking in on the defensive end the team needs some sort of identity. Right now they just aren't consistent enough to be very good. Too much changes from game to game with these guys.

I think this is a really solid answer.

Just look at the teams that are in the Final Four this year.

UNC has always been known as a team that will push tempo and get 70-80 points every game. They recruit to it and are really really good at it.

Nova is by far the best defensive team left in the tourney. They get out and run some but most of their transition game comes from creating TO in their 2-2-1 3/4 court press.

Syracuse sits in a 2-3 zone and if you can shoot your way to a W then good for you.

Oklahoma under Kruger has been known to push tempo and be a really good shooting team.

Nebraska just needs to find something it can hang its hat on game in and game out and do it. I don't think fans really care what brand of basketball they play as long as it results in W. UVA over the last 4 years has played the most boring brand of basketball there is but they've been excellent at slowing tempo and grinding teams to death.

Nebraska will never be able to recruit at the level of a UNC, Nova, or Syracuse but, as proven this year, there's enough talent to be spread all over the country. Find guys that are good at what you want to do and go with it.

Good post.......the only minor quibble I might have is that I think fans would MUCH PREFER an up and down style (not at the expense of winning, of course), but otherwise would be entertained more by running.

Most of us have had our full of Cip, Moe, Barry, Doc, et cet. Coincidence that the last sustained period of success was with Nee??........who featured an entertaining style as opposed to working the shot clock with perimeter passing until throwing up a prayer at the buzzer. All other things being equal, I would much rather enjoy a 90 - 87 game in lieu of a 50-47 game..........regardless of the outcome. jmho

Agreed. Obviously the fan base would prefer a more fan friendly style of play. But if they can consistently win games by slowing it down and grinding out wins the fans won't complain much.

IMO, if we go back to that style of play we fall flat and Miles will be gone.. in short order.

Glad that is just your IMO

and I'm glad your glad.

We have decent pieces at the 1-4 spots with good freshmen and transfers coming next year. If TM can find a solid big or 2 for next year, we might go .500 in the BIG 10 and win most of the non con. We'd have to catch lightning in a bottle to make the dance. If we just catch lightning bugs in a bottle we could make the NIT.

Start with a core and build around it. The first couple years will not be fun, but as the players mature, the wins should come.

That is what Miles has done in the past and is his preference.

His core is something around the lines of: Watson/Morrow/Jacobson/McVeigh

Mainly Morrow and Watson and possibly interchange a few guys like White/Gill or other two year guys.

The biggest issue with a couple years ago was that team was built on guys who didnt fit the team game, they fit the "I am the star of this team"

Teams figured out how to stop Petteway and Pitchford lost the spark he once had.

I like Miles but he is not the best offensive mind and it has taken him two seasons to figure out how to attack B1G defenses without a true big man.

• Fire 1

Start with a core and build around it. The first couple years will not be fun, but as the players mature, the wins should come.

That is what Miles has done in the past and is his preference.

His core is something around the lines of: Watson/Morrow/Jacobson/McVeigh

Mainly Morrow and Watson and possibly interchange a few guys like White/Gill or other two year guys.

The biggest issue with a couple years ago was that team was built on guys who didnt fit the team game, they fit the "I am the star of this team"

Teams figured out how to stop Petteway and Pitchford lost the spark he once had.

I like Miles but he is not the best offensive mind and it has taken him two seasons to figure out how to attack B1G defenses without a true big man.

Agree with this, but it begs the question...............HOW does any coach attack B1G defenses without a true big man?

(When we doubled the post...... invariably.... previously unremarkable outside shooters turned into Curry's against us and the percentages soared........)

^^^^ +1

With no added big man we will be similar to slightly better next year (0 / +2 wins)

If we get a big man it will depend if he is ready to play in year 1: not ready +2 / ready + 6 wins)

so, worst case 16-18 / best case 24-10

I'm sorry but even if we add a big man I still don't see anyway this team gets to 24-10 next year.

Losing Shields hurts no matter how you want to look at it. And while White is capable of going for 30pts he was just as capable this year of being a non factor in games. This team will have to be more consistent than it was this year.

Losing shields hurts but I wouldn't say he is irreplaceable.

I'm a big Shields fan but, as these young kids mature, he can be replaced.

Never said Shields wasn't replaceable. Just will be a big loss for the guys. Hopefully they can find someone to step up in the off season and fill his role.

• 3 months later...

With the exception of the last post, this thread looks like it's discussing a different team than the one the Huskers will field this season. With all the new pieces ,it'll take some time to figure out where everyone fits ...and I have no idea what will happen....but it looks to me like we have some good players to work with and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this team is very successful. Sometimes you have addition by subtracting an over-rated and inconsistent player who expects to take every shot but doesn't have the confidence or ability to compete with the big boys. I'd much rather have a solid team effort. Getting some players into their proper role and giving others the signal to go ahead and cut loose with their ability may get very good results.